New gixxer owner with questions : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
86Gixx7fiddy
Squid

New gixxer owner with questions

hey guys, just picked up my first gixxer. its an 86 750 thats been set up for the strip. prev owner said its close to 900cc's, head work, cams, V&H stage 3 drag pipe. got a couple questions regarding it.

1st, its not charging. i couldnt find a voltage reg. on the bike. how can i check the charging system? could it be that someone removed the charging system to save weight? this was a track only bike that was taken straight from the track and equiped with head an tail lights for street use.

2nd, what kinda carbs should be on it? it has mikuni flat slides? on it right now. prev owner said its jetted extremely rich for wot runs. what would be a good starting point on jetting for street use?

thanks in advance
Cody

86Gixx7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
86Gixx7fiddy
Squid

Re: New gixxer owner with questions

anyone???

got some pics ofthe wiring hack job.

under seat

black plug comes out of alternator

under the tank

also under tank, this plug is for the voltage regulator?

now when i first rode the bike, it fired right up and ran fine. about a mile down the road it started to sputter and died. hit the button to start and nothing it drained the battery. got home and charged the battery and fired it up and disconnected the battery while running and it died. so it was not charging correct?

well today i was tinkering with it and when i disconnect the battery while running it didnt die, the rpms would change and the headlight got brighter. this was with a fairly cold engine rather than hot/running temp while riding. whats this mean? if i get a regulator would it be fine?

sorry for the long posts, im new to these bikes and am just trying to learn some.

any help is appreciated
cody
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
86boiler
Rookie

looks like the wiring is an uber fucktard nigger rigged job. my bike was like this too, best bet would be to get a decent harness and start from there.
86boiler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
UK lee
Streetfighting Monster

Motorcycle: GSXR1340 Yoshifighter , GSXR 1000 K6

Oil cooled GSXR's don't have a separate regulator / rectifier - it's built into the alternator.

You can see the alternator from the left hand side of the motor , - Held on with 3 long bolts, behind the barrels above the sprocket cover . Some race bikes may be set up to run 'total loss' i.e no alternator / charging circuit - just a small battery to provide the sparks , until the battery runs out and then no spark . If this is the case with yours, the alternator will be missing and a blanking plug ( about 4" dia.) will be fitted to the cases.

If you have got an alternator fitted - it may be the built in reg/rec that is the problem . It is possible to bypass the faulty 'built in' unit and use an external one off another bike to do the trick. This will entail more modifications to the wiring loom and to be honest , the easiest thing would be to source a replacement alternator.

The pictures of your wiring loom show that it has been really heavily hacked about - few of the connector blocks are original and the 'fuse box' looks like something off a tractor . The best thing you can do here ( especially if you are new to bikes) is to rip it out and get a replacement loom . Any of the 1st gen looms ( 750 & 1100 ) will pretty much drop straight in with little hassle.

If your bike is a US model , then it would have originally came with CV carbs , Euro & Jap 1st gen 750's came with flatslides ( although they were VM29 carbs and pretty similar to the aftermarket RS series carbs)

I'd definitely recommend that you get your red R by donating to the site , this will allow you to browse the oil cooled classifieds and is a great source for any parts that you may need.

Lee
UK lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
86Gixx7fiddy
Squid

Thanks a lot guys. Now when you unhook the battery while its running its charging? Now it will yay running but will start to smoke the mess of wires under the seat

I think I'm just gonna look for a diff harness and check out the alternator

Thanks
Cody
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
GarrettSR5
I love Busas with extended swingarms. BURN

Motorcycle: Yes.

Wow that poor bike. Previous owner paid you to take it right?
GarrettSR5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in