running - Page 10 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Non-Motorcycle Forums > Health & Fitness

Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #181
JetBlast
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

Re: running

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
I did my pt test today 92 push ups and 92 sit ups in two minutes and 12:53 two mile run time
you animal!!

tomorrow, i will be doing a 3 mile run with my 120+ class. next week before i graduate the academy, we are doing a mock PT test to see if we improved. i feel like i did improve but i cant say how well i will improve due to the altitude of colorado springs vs being at mcchord (sea level).

i really want to get into the crossfit program at the army base next door. i am going to look into it and hope my work schedule doesnt screw this up for me. i am heading back to my old job and their schedule is a mess.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #182
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600
Are you going to be in formation? I hate formation runs
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #183
JetBlast

Quote:
i dont think so but i saw photos on their facebook page showing them running in formation. i sure hope not! we will be in fitness gear if we do.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #184
HAZDADDY
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 1000, 2006 Busa-sold, 2006 cbr 600- sold
Quote:
Only thing worse than formation runs....is formation runs in the sand.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S lll
HAZDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #185
kevin.g
Club Racer

I don't know, my main gripe with formation runs is the massive ass kicking my knees take from the itty bitty stride and slow pace. I think it hurts less in the sand. Either way, fuck formation runs.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #186
HAZDADDY
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 1000, 2006 Busa-sold, 2006 cbr 600- sold
Quote:
I don't know, my main gripe with formation runs is the massive ass kicking my knees take from the itty bitty stride and slow pace. I think it hurts less in the sand. Either way, fuck formation runs.
I'm with ya there... I just used to hate runs in the sand because it kills ur muscles really fast. 2 miles in loose sand feels like 4 miles on the road

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S lll
HAZDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #187
alexfleury
Back Marker

Best training tip I ever picked up. It was in runner's world. let's say you are running 2 miles in 20 minutes now. Run it in 19 mins (or 19.5 or whatever you can do) ONCE and then your next two runs go back to 20. Then run 19 for one, run 19 for the next run and then drop back to 20. Do this cycle for 2 or 3 runs. Then you should be able to easily run 19's. Do that a couple of times and then throw in an 18. Repeat previous pattern.
alexfleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #188
JetBlast

ummm i somehow gained 10lbs since october

i noticed even with the 10lbs in weight gain, i dont feel fat and out of shape. i do feel more muscular overall so im guessing out of the 10lbs, i packed on some muscle and some fat (from all the govt food!) so its time to trim down some. my next official fitness test is in april 2013. i want to get a 90 on the test so i test once a year.

i did my NCO Academy crossfit style fitness test the other day at sea level. big difference! it was too easy at sea level vs high altitude. the test is as follows:

run 1 full lap
40 air squats
30 butterfly sit ups
20 chest to deck push ups
10 squat thrusts
run 1 full lap

when i first did this test 8 weeks ago, i did it in 11:45. i had a really really bad hamstring pull and it destroyed my time. about 2 weeks ago, we did the retest after all the workouts and i did it in around 7:40. i looked pretty bad ass on paper compared to the rest of my class but only i knew why my 1st time was so bad
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #189
TeflonTrout
Ass Packer

Motorcycle: '99 GSX-R750-SOLD for '13 Kawasaki KLR-650

That's damn good, Jet. Kevin, you remember the knock knock joke from "Catch Me if You Can," the one Tom Hanks tells?

I did a 5k in Kandahar before I left. It was a Zombie Run- a little too goofy to take seriously, I could have done better. 23 minutes and change is pretty respectable, though.

As for short steps? Gotta get some barefoot shoes and learn the running style they require. There is not a single thing anybody can do that makes any part of my legs hurt any more, including formation goat ropes and ruck runs.

As far as Kyrgyzstan goes, I'm having a lot of trouble forcing myself out to do PT whenever the temp drops below 10. I can feel my hard work seeping slowly away, and right before I go home! I grew up in the mountains, love the snow, but this place is crazy- I run hard for a mile in full windbreakers before I start to warm up, and by then my face has had it. I HATE treadmills. I hate them so hard, especially with the beautiful scenery here.

Last edited by TeflonTrout; 12-27-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Needed to add flipoff emote for Kevin.G
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #190
kevin.g
Club Racer

I too have gained like 10 lbs in the past month doesn't seem I'm in any worse of shape though.

No I don't remember the knock knock joke I agree that the barefoot shoes and a mid-sole strike are rough though... I prefer to run in trainers with support. I've never done any kind of distance race. I did a timed 5 mile because it was required by my last unit, I think I came in around 38 minutes or so.

As for you getting out of shape Teflon, just keep hitting the gym and doing some sort of cardio as often as you can until the weather gets better. I know the scenery is out of control there but I also know the gym is pretty dope too, way better than a lot of gyms. I'm assuming you're at Manas? I do weight training about 5 days a week but run only once a week, if that, and look at my APFT scores. Just make sure you're doing something!

"If you fantasize about being shot from a cannon, we'd recommend riding a literbike as a marginally safer alternative."
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #191
JetBlast

lately, i have been running like a champ! i dont know why but i have been having some really bad shin splints on the same parts of my legs on both sides. i have been wearing the same shoes for the past 4 months so im not sure what is wrong? everyone says it is footwear but i dont know. ever since i came back from colorado, things have been weird. i have had a lot more headaches than ever and now these shin splints when i run. next week, im gonna go to a running shoe store and get fitted with new shoes and go from there.

my breathing is excellent for running and my stamina is great too. if i can get these shin splints fixed, ill be in a good position to score a 90+ on my test.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #192
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

i was told at the police academy to retire shoes after you put 150-200 miles on em so i would go thru atleast 2-4 pair a year.
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #193
kevin.g
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee2989 View Post
i was told at the police academy to retire shoes after you put 150-200 miles on em so i would go thru atleast 2-4 pair a year.
That seems like a lot. I would go with 500 miles or six months. But that's jmo
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #194
JetBlast

i go by every 6 months. im not sure why my Brooks running shoes are giving me problems after 3-4 months of use.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #195
JetBlast

well i thought i post an update to my running fun.

i am taking 2 supplements and they seem to do wonders for runners. im taking Cellucor BCAA and Cellucor C4. BCAA=branched chain amino acids; these mitigate cramping while running. i can definitely feel it. i just keep running and i can feel the pain in my legs but it doesnt hurt bad, if at all. i love this stuff!

the next supplement is Cellucor C4. now this stuff is more for weight lifting in a sense. it has some nitric oxide and it also has a blend that enhances focus. i am so focused when i run! it is weird! no tunnel vision or anything. it also provides an energy boost but i dont feel it. i can feel it when i run but it is not an edgy feeling. it feels like a natural energy boost (like waking up after 8 hours of sleep). i definitely like this stuff for my runs!

on monday, i ran 3 miles. the goal was under 30 minutes. well i did it in 24 minutes! i dont know how fast i ran the first 1.5 miles but i got down there quick, took a very short break (was dealing with shin splints) and headed back. i even walked a couple of times due to my shin splint problem and still made it in 24 minutes. all i know was that i pushed myself harder on this run than i normally do. because of the effects of my BCAA supplement, i was able to push the threshold of my run times to see how far i can go due to the lactic acid build up being mitigated. next time, i will wear my stop watch to see what my time is.

yesterday, i ran 2 miles. i ran the first mile with no issues. i focused on my technique and i ended up passing up a lot of guys in my flight. this was an organized fitness function with my flight. i think i was a little worn down from my wild run on monday that it carried over to wednesday haha! i stopped at the 1 mile point for my shin splint pains and then headed back. i decided to slow down so i didnt hurt myself but i definitely need to deal with the shin splints now.

my breathing is still perfect! i am not gasping for air while pushing it. i think the high altitude cross fit workouts are still helping me at the lower altitudes even though it has been over a month since i came home.

this weekend, im going to a running shoe store to have them fit me for shoes. my shin splints are painful on both legs so it has to be footwear. i also read about doing toe raises daily to combat shin splints too so i will get into that. i guess it is like a "rocking" motion you do with the toe raises. you stand on a stairway/curb and point your toes downward as much as you can then upward and you do them fast for 30 seconds. i guess your shins are supposed to hurt pretty bad from this but that is a good thing! im gonna start getting into this.

i think in april, i will be in for a personal surprise for my run times!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #196
kevin.g
Club Racer

Nice man, it is good to see that you're making progress. One thing I have to say worries me is the fact that you're taking C4 before you run! I would definitely absolutely recommend that you do NOT do that anymore. You could seriously end up with a heart attack/heat stroke. In the past year I can think of a few incidents where people were taking similar pre-workout products (jack3d etc) before cardio intensive workouts (specifically army battle focused training)... and ended up dead. No joke. Reason being... all these type of pre-workout supps are PACKED with caffeine. The amino acids aren't that big of a deal, but we're talking about at least a couple hundred mg of caffeine. That's like three cups of coffee or two 16 oz. energy drinks. While this is great for lifting weights, because your heart rate should be sitting relatively low compared to running or crossfit, this is NOT good for running. 80% on no stimulants = 100% or worse on a high dose of stims = heart attack/hyperthermia/cardiac arrest. For example, I'm taking some caffeinated preworkout called Mr. Hyde... I measured my heart rate the other day after a set and a 60 second break... I was blazing at 120 bpm, my resting is low 50s. And that's just from lifting.

I know for a fact cellucor, VPX, BSN all make stimulant free pre-workout supplements, and I'm sure there are many more. Those would be great for running or crossfit. Just felt like I had to warn you, that shit is legitimately a health hazard. That being said, I love C4 for my weight training it's good stuff.

"If you fantasize about being shot from a cannon, we'd recommend riding a literbike as a marginally safer alternative."

Last edited by kevin.g; 01-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #197
kevin.g
Club Racer

But hey I'm not a doctor or anything

Oh and by the way about the shoes, I'm rocking some new balance revlites at the moment, great running shoes. Way less knee and ankle pain since I got them.

Last edited by kevin.g; 01-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #198
JetBlast

im wondering if the C4 even works? i dont get any effects from it other than a lot of focus. i dont feel any rush or anything of that sort. i have had a lot of bad luck with Cellucor products except the BCAA. i have no elevated heart rate when i run or excessive sweating. it almost feels like a placebo other than for the extra focus i have.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #199
kevin.g
Club Racer

Shit I don't know man. C4 gets me pumped up for sure but everyone is different. Recently I used some VPX Friction, best I've ever had. That stuff was good. Doesn't taste very good but that's not the point anyway lol. The other stuff I mentioned called Mr. Hyde is pretty legit too but it's also a thermogenic in addition to pre workout.

How much are you taking? A whole scoop?

My other go-tos would have to be jack3d or NOshotgun. NOsynthesize is another decent one but iirc it is stim free and has ~15g protein per scoop, it's mainly just bcaas and whatnot for a stim free pump, I gained a lot of weight on that so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're trying to gain weight though. Definitely don't do cardio on jack3d though lol. I've also used some stuff called 1.M.R but that stuff had a seriously intense come down. I couldn't hang with it.

NOshotgun, NOsynthesize, and Friction are all VPX. In my experience VPX and Optimum are great supplement brands. VPX has always given me good results and at a reasonable price. And I just think ON is high quality stuff, a bit pricey for their top shelf stuff though, but worth it if you can afford it. I don't have too much experience with Cellucor but if it's not workin for ya just switch, it is a bit overpriced IMO which is why I stopped taking C4. I've also never had much luck with BSN. NOxplode just makes me feel like I'm on crack, and syntha 6 made me fatter, not stronger or bigger when the only thing I switched was proteins, not routine or diet.

Last edited by kevin.g; 01-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #200
JetBlast

yes i am taking a whole scoop. i know this stuff is for weight lifting but it works well for running and basic exercises. i get no energy rush or abnormal sweating. i get this intense focus feeling which helps so much when i run. kinda hard to explain. i used one of their fat burners a year ago and it didnt work. i guess it had a lot of complaints and they revamped it and supposed to be better. i dont plan on trying that stuff.

i want to trim down my weight so i may switch up to a BCAA and fat burner combo and just pour on the cardio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement