Tips for putting the bike away for winter... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
jdminpdx
Squid

Tips for putting the bike away for winter...

So I was hoping on snagging a garage this winter here at my apartment complex but unforatunely it does not appear that anyone is going to be giving one up. With that said it looks like my beloved 02 GSX-R will be staying outdoors this fall/winter.

This is my first fall/winter with a bike so I am a bit lost. Right now, my bike is outside and uncovered. I have ordered a full cover and expect it next week. For the time being is there anything I should do or prepare the bike for?

I have not taken it out in about a month and it has been parked in the same spot since. I periodically go out and wipe off the Oregon rain and that's about it.

Today, I took some chain degreaser to the chain and my chain brush and then lubed up the chain. While doing this, I noticed a very small amount of rust (almost unnoticeable) on a few links in the chain. Normal? Should I be concerned?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks!
jdminpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Cock Gobbler
Head Rider for Team CGR

Motorcycle: 1994 GSXR 750, finally done! Custom Paint. Rebuilt top end and carbs. Yoshi top triple and rearsets (stolen:crying).1993 GSXR 750 project to rebuild. 2003 GSXR 600 Alstare Edition
Do a search alot of good topics on it.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344670

You can also look into storage spaces. Make sure you have antifreeze and not water in the radiator. Fresh oil change fill up gas tank add fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes. After that turn it off top off the tank (the highest point where you can still shut the gas cap). Definitely get the full cover. If your leaving it outside make sure to rotate your tires every once in a while to avoid getting flat spots. Most of all make sure it's in a safe place!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Originally posted by VooDoo Child, "You are taking classes and getting used to a 250? So you will be ok? You have no clue. That's like saying you kissed a girl on the playground in the 5th grade so you know how to handle the hooker in Vegas."
Cock Gobbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
GSXF60093
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Katana GSXF 600
Cool Re: Tips for putting the bike away for winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdminpdx View Post
So I was hoping on snagging a garage this winter here at my apartment complex but unforatunely it does not appear that anyone is going to be giving one up. With that said it looks like my beloved 02 GSX-R will be staying outdoors this fall/winter.

This is my first fall/winter with a bike so I am a bit lost. Right now, my bike is outside and uncovered. I have ordered a full cover and expect it next week. For the time being is there anything I should do or prepare the bike for?

I have not taken it out in about a month and it has been parked in the same spot since. I periodically go out and wipe off the Oregon rain and that's about it.

Today, I took some chain degreaser to the chain and my chain brush and then lubed up the chain. While doing this, I noticed a very small amount of rust (almost unnoticeable) on a few links in the chain. Normal? Should I be concerned?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks!
Might want to get a cover and a wool blanket, but take the wool blanket off only use when really cold... Will keep the moisture out of tank and other places. I have a covered canvas tent that all of my bikes, and stuff gets cabled together. Wheel locks are a good thing too.

Hope still some good weather for riding. I rode today... somewhat cold.
Great points here.
Thanks! Chris.
GSXF60093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
gixxerbaxter
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Re: Tips for putting the bike away for winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSarget52 View Post
Do a search alot of good topics on it.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344670

You can also look into storage spaces. Make sure you have antifreeze and not water in the radiator. Fresh oil change fill up gas tank add fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes. After that turn it off top off the tank (the highest point where you can still shut the gas cap). Definitely get the full cover. If your leaving it outside make sure to rotate your tires every once in a while to avoid getting flat spots. Most of all make sure it's in a safe place!

This ^
Plus,
If you can't get to a power outlet then bring the battery inside.
And if money isn't an issue rent a storage unit like stated above
gixxerbaxter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
jdminpdx
Squid

Thanks for the tips. I dont know why it did not dawn on me to call up a storage place. Great idea.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

My take:

Don't bother worrying about flat spots on modern tires. It does not happen.
Store it with a full tank, to eliminate rust. Use gas with no ethanol if you can find it, because the alcohol is more corrosive.
Zippysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
-JK750-
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 01 GSX-R 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippysport View Post
alcohol is more corrosive.
It's because alcohol is hygroscopic and absorbs water. That's the main reason.

Last edited by -JK750-; 12-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
-JK750- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
GriffinD
...just like sex with Shane

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 (street), 2007 GSXR 750 (track)

Quote:
Just a thought but, how large are the parking spots in the garage? Pay someone to park it near the wall in front of their (smaller) car. Put it on stands & cover it up. I'm sure with your bike up front & their car in the spot, there should be enough room.

GriffinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
It's because alcohol is hygroscopic and absorbs water. That's the main reason.
Yes, thanks, that's right. I'd forgotten the reason. It's actually the water that the alcohol attracts that does the corroding.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
JP1143
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K

Just put that thing in your apartment, fill up the gas tank with a bottle of Seafoam or Fuel stabilizer, then your bike will be safe and warm.

When I lived in my condo, I put my bike in the living room with a blanket under the wheels so I wouldn't ruin the carpet. I guess you could only do this if you lived on the ground floor.
JP1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

+1 Even if you're not on the ground floor, you and some friends should be able to get it up the stairs. Buy a 2' x 5' chunk of berber carpet for the bike to sit on.

Get the owner's manual for your bike and follow the storage recommendations. In later years they include filling the crankcase with oil all the way to the filler hole and putting a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder. Get one of those muffler hole plugs (or whatever they're called) and use it as long term storage invites mice to take up residence.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

There have been times when I would not have minded bringing a bike indoors. I had a few bikes stolen when locked up in back of an apartment building.

I might add oil to each cylinder or fill the crankcase if I was storing it for years, but not just for winter. I just try to store it with a fresh oil change, so its ready to go on the first nice day.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
jdminpdx
Squid

I live on the second floor of my apt complex. I suppose getting it up here wouldnt be THAT big of an issue. Might give that some thought too.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
remusr
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSXR1K5a&b, GSXR1100G

No way! Heat + gas = vapors + ignition source (pilot light, candles, smokes, etc) = kaboom. You also might want to ask the landlord and consult your rental agreement - best to be straightup and alive and un-sued. Maybe the landlord will let you stick it in a corner somewhere - in the garage, utility shed, etc? Otherwise I'd find/pay a friend/coworker/stranger to let you store it, at front of their sheltered/inside parking spot, in a corner of their garage, whatever. But I wouldn't leave a bike I liked outside. Period. But I live in Canada where you'd lose it under the snow for months at a time.
remusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
jcyc44
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr 1000
You have more worries about mice crawling into your airbox or your trunk and chewing up wires than them crawling into your exhaust
jcyc44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
jdminpdx
Squid

Public storage has a deal running which I have looked in to. I may be going with that route. I picked up a covermax yesterday and did some general maintenance as suggested. Unfortunately now I have to wait until I get a battery to get the bike moved. It finally died.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
squale147
no rest for the wicked

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR-1000((sold)),2008 GSXR-750,((sold)) 2009 GSX-1300R Hayabusa 1992 CBR-600F2

Quote:
Public storage has a deal running which I have looked in to. I may be going with that route. I picked up a covermax yesterday and did some general maintenance as suggested. Unfortunately now I have to wait until I get a battery to get the bike moved. It finally died.
public storage would be best if you could make that happen...
squale147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement