1st Gen Japanese Market 750 Specs & Mods - Page 3 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #41
Richie Rich
Rookie

Re: 1st Gen Japanese Market 750 Specs & Mods

Hi Motolorax, welcome to the forum. That 750 looks quite tidy from the pics and I reckon that colour scheme (as you correctly state from a 86 1100) is one of the best for the early bikes. The price looks good to me too, though bikes are a little cheaper than over here in AUS.

Let us know how you go with the inspection.
Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #42
Motolorax
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R750g, Yam XS850

Thanks for the welcome Richie,

Been lurking for while, really impressed with the helpful response I've had from the forum, Karitane Pete's been great with his help with info.

Was going to head over for a look tomorrow but work just got in the way! Yes, been looking for a few months now and everything else I've looked at has been pretty rough. OK if you're super handy with the spanners but my skills are pretty basic (as learned trying to rebuild the bottom end on my xs850). It looks to have complete and original plastics and is fairly low kms at 41k. You never know until you look tho hey! If it does work out I'll have to get myself a red R and find a clear/smoked screen, note sure I could live with the blue tint!

cheers, j
Motolorax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #43
Richie Rich
Rookie

Nice one mate, don't let it slip through your fingers - there certainly isn't a large number of decent ones to choose from and it looks to be unmolested which is just as impt. Original plastics and paint is very important as 2nd hand plastics are very difficult to come by and '85 model stuff is different from '86/7.

You should be able to source a new screen in NZ (definitely in Aus).

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #44
Motolorax
Lifetime Premium

Hey, any idea if the rims running on rte38's scooter are standard or off an 1100? that tirelooks to have a bit more girth than the standard,but I'm a novice on slabby matters.

So Richie.. who's Britten is that on your avetar?? you got a bit of a flash shed over there??
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #45
awasson
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR 750, 1986 GSXR Limited, GSXR750RK (in restoration mode), 1973 GT-750 (no longer have, looking for another)

Yes, as Rich says, don't dawdle when you find a good specimen at a good price. There are a few interested parties who jump on these diamonds in the rough. That one is 86-ish so the plastics for 86/87 play well together. The bike I mentioned earlier in this thread is the same period. It's in interesting mix of 85 + 86/87 fittings.

BTW, welcome aboard!
awasson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #46
Richie Rich
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motolorax View Post
Hey, any idea if the rims running on rte38's scooter are standard or off an 1100? that tirelooks to have a bit more girth than the standard,but I'm a novice on slabby matters.

So Richie.. who's Britten is that on your avetar?? you got a bit of a flash shed over there??
I think Pete has a larger than standard rear tyre on the stock rim and reckons it rides ok from memory. I'm personally not a fan of putting larger than stock tyres on rims as most times it upsets the steering and the early GSXR's were hardly the most stable of bikes at speed (though the '86 model you're looking at were improved over the '85's) so can't imagine larger tyres help. Having said that plenty of people do it so it's a personal choice.

I wish I had a Britten in my garage! I grew up in Christchurch watching the mighty Britten monstering everything else down the ruapuna raceway straight...
1983 Yamaha RZ350K
1989 Yamaha TZR250 3MA Reverse Cylinder
2008 Triumph 675 Street Triple RR
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #47
Motolorax
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm personally not a fan of putting larger than stock tyres on rims as most times it upsets the steering and the early GSXR's were hardly the most stable of bikes at speed (though the '86 model you're looking at were improved over the '85's) so can't imagine larger tyres help. Having said that plenty of people do it so it's a personal choice.
Thanks for that and I fully agree. Although i can see the alure of wider rims from an asthetic angle, I'm more interested in good handling!

Never seen a britten running let alone on the track doing what it was designed for. Shame his John's widow has sat on the patents.

Just took the time to look on ebay for '86 GSX-R750 bits and bobs. Blown away at the variety of stuff available. So is anybody in Australasia making bodywork for them or is airtech or homebuild the only option?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #48
macca916
Squid

Motorcycle: Duc 888, Yam Xt12z

Jap Spec slabbies come with wider rear rims than europe/uk/ROW? not sure what the oem tyre spec was but they will take 1100 tyre sizes as the rim width is the same (ignoring the last year 3 spoke 1100 wheels)
macca916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #49
Karitane Pete
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR750F x 2, 2009 KLX250s, 2003 XLR125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motolorax View Post
Just took the time to look on ebay for '86 GSX-R750 bits and bobs. Blown away at the variety of stuff available. So is anybody in Australasia making bodywork for them or is airtech or homebuild the only option?
Airtech Glasswear are good to deal with and make a great product http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...024&highlight= .
The shipping to NZ last year for two uppers was only $80usd.
Glass fairing components are nice but don't have the detail ot the original plastics.
Karitane Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
Richie Rich
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca916 View Post
Jap Spec slabbies come with wider rear rims than europe/uk/ROW? not sure what the oem tyre spec was but they will take 1100 tyre sizes as the rim width is the same (ignoring the last year 3 spoke 1100 wheels)
The JDM '85 models run STD 750 size rims and I'm certain that's the same for the '86 and some '87 model JDM bikes too. The exception to this are the JDM LTD / RR models and perhaps the very last of the '87 models which I've also seen with the 1100 NEAS forks and steering damper - but also with horrible colour schemes....
Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #51
Karitane Pete
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
but also with horrible colour schemes....
its not that bad
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #52
Richie Rich
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitane Pete View Post
its not that bad
Sorry Pete, wasn't meaning any offense to anyone who owns one, purely a personal opinion that perhaps came across a little strong, so apologies. Just meant that they started to become a little too creative IMHO.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #53
Motolorax
Lifetime Premium

Gentlemen, I have my slabbie! Finally got up to have a proper look at the one Karitane Pete posted the piccies of and despite a few obvious jobs needing done, decided it was the most complete and unmolested slabbie I'm likely to find.

I won't pick it up for a few weeks but know I need to sort/replace the rear shock (static sag seemed to be pretty much the full travel) and the exaust system is a state (seriosuly rusted OEM downpipes and collector with grafted cycleworks muffler). Other than that there is a lot of cleaning and polishing to be done. doesn't look like the bikes ever seen more than a swill over with a bucket of suds.

However, it seemed to be complete and uncrashed, even had the original tool kit and all stickers and even the original drains on the carbs.

Wo ho! I'll post more and some pics once I've got it in the shed and when I've worked out why I can't seem to post pics yet.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #54
Richie Rich
Rookie

Congrats mate! Good choice. Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing how your tidy up goes.

Cheers, Richard
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #55
rte38
Club Racer

Motorcycle: RED 85 GSXR750F BLUE 88 GSXR 750J
Exclamation Re: 1st Gen Japanese Market 750 Specs & Mods

Just thaught id bring this back 2 life,might b moor info on this
Cheers PeterRTE38
RIP Rob
rte38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #56
Richie Rich
Rookie

Had my JDM 750 in the shop yesterday for a carb balance and set up and one of the things they found was it was running too rich at large throttle openings.

When they looked at the air filter they were surprised to see how far the intake snorkel ran inside the filter, almost to the end. They pulled a genuine Aus model new filter from stock and the snorkel hardly travels the filter at all.

Not sure if the pic below shows what I'm trying to talk about, but basically the JDM model filters are more restrictive than the ROW models. Part number was different too.

Makes sense that both intake and exhaus would have some form of restriction I guess, but I've never had anyone confirm whether carb settings differed on the JDM models?

1983 Yamaha RZ350K
1989 Yamaha TZR250 3MA Reverse Cylinder
2008 Triumph 675 Street Triple RR
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #57
Karitane Pete
Lifetime Premium

interesting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in