No need to buy fender kits and spools : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Eze750
!##NULL##!

No need to buy fender kits and spools

ImageUploadedByMO Free1355285836.777839.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1355285923.899832.jpg

Some may disagree some may agree but IMO I say fender kits and swingarm spools are just a waste of money why purchase a product when you can just make one yourself (as seen in pic1)
And why purchase a product where it's purpose could be done without it my bike sits firmly on my race stand w/o spools (as seen in pic 2).. my fender kit only cost my 10$ compare to the yoshi kit that goes for like 60$ and they both serve its purpose. But I understand why that is you are just basically paying for the name...my Friend call me cheap for this but I think if I'm payin for a product to put on my bike and the cost is kinda high is must have something to do with the improvement in performance and safety not the way it look

Got 99 problems but traffic ain't one
Eze750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
davidhar
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni

Re: No need to buy fender kits and spools

I'm confused by the stand pic - how are the stand and bike connected? Spools also can serve a purpose like frame sliders, to take the grind for your bike in a crash.

On the fender eliminator - plenty of people do it that way, but could you at least use some stuff that's not bent to hell and rusted quite so bad? I used some straight L shaped metal on each side, bolted to undertail bolt holes like yours, then straight to the plate bolts.
davidhar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Eze750
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhar View Post
I'm confused by the stand pic - how are the stand and bike connected? Spools also can serve a purpose like frame sliders, to take the grind for your bike in a crash.

On the fender eliminator - plenty of people do it that way, but could you at least use some stuff that's not bent to hell and rusted quite so bad? I used some straight L shaped metal on each side, bolted to undertail bolt holes like yours, then straight to the plate bolts.
my bike is sitting on the stand by its swingarms...the spools purpose is sliders too but I consider that a theory reason being never have I seen it documented being put to use like frame sliders or bar ends....and far as the rusty metal lol you right but this is onli temp. til I place my numbers on the side of my bike I don't like having it back there the way I ride it fit me best on the side of my bike

Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

Spooled stands are more stable, for one thing. If you want to risk the bike falling off and then having a high parts bill, then that's your nevermind. Me, I'll pay the little extra for a pair of aftermarket spools (I've seen a set of aluminum spools at Harbor Freight for as little as $9.95). Also keep in mind that the bottom of the swingarm ends of some sportbikes are not equal; attempting to use a universal rear stand will result in unequal heights. As for spools doubling as sliders, not recommended. One look at the cheesy welded tabs on modern swingarms may convince you of that.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. It's already butt hurt enough as it is.
- Wag
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
BaliinTL
Rookie

I really like my fender eliminator, it has a super bright LED that makes my bike more visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (26.3 KB, 350 views)
BaliinTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
Eze750
!##NULL##!

@d207gp I totally understand what your saying I have no worries though and @ballin I'm assuming that is the yoshi kit.... I like it too but 30-50$ to be seen better? If that is the case hid bulbs would be a better investment to me if the retard behind you can not see you they obviously is not paying attention

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze750 View Post
I like it too but 30-50$ to be seen better?
So the fact that it is law in all 50 states that you must have a white light on your LP doesn't matter?
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R 600

Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
-JK750-
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 01 GSX-R 750
Quote:
Spools also can serve a purpose like frame sliders, to take the grind for your bike in a crash.
Not really, it's more likely that those big spools hit something and tear the spool brackets off.
-JK750- is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samschou View Post
So the fact that it is law in all 50 states that you must have a white light on your LP doesn't matter?
Beat me to it,in NY you need to have a light(like OEM,duh!!)on your license plate bracket. Another reason for the Police to pull you over&ticket you..and 99% of the time the bikes that they pull over for that violation have other issues that are subject to tickets/impounding as well.

And for fucks sake at least use galvanized band iron next time so it doesnt rust

Im 100% for fabbing up your own parts to save money if you have the skills,I made this plate holder for my 05 1K out of scrap 1/8" aluminum that I had laying around. Took me all of 30mins from start to finish,TIG'd and rattle can paint job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (57.5 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (62.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (57.9 KB, 339 views)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

I don't know why it's really that complicated used some scrap 1/8 flat bar I had laying aroun two small stitch welds a little rattle canning and a white led strip from autozone and I have 7 bucks invested in mine and looks alot better than the $10 the OP spent IMO
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1355316875.261790.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1355316894.191915.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1355316909.859909.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze750 View Post
Attachment 195233
Attachment 195235

Some may disagree some may agree but IMO I say fender kits and swingarm spools are just a waste of money why purchase a product when you can just make one yourself (as seen in pic1)
And why purchase a product where it's purpose could be done without it my bike sits firmly on my race stand w/o spools (as seen in pic 2).. my fender kit only cost my 10$ compare to the yoshi kit that goes for like 60$ and they both serve its purpose. But I understand why that is you are just basically paying for the name...my Friend call me cheap for this but I think if I'm payin for a product to put on my bike and the cost is kinda high is must have something to do with the improvement in performance and safety not the way it look

Not to be mean . But the Strap you used for hanging your plate looks like crap . You can find better material at Home Depot to use that won't rust and will look better .

As for the swing arm stand. It depends on what kind of stand you buy as to whether you need spools or not .
coopgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

I agree that you can make a perfectly good license plate holder for very little money that will work just as well as a $60-80 one - but yours looks like crap

As for spools, I have several of both types of stands - spool stands are significantly more stable. If you don't want to spend those $10 on spools, use bolts instead. I've done that before when working on bikes with spool brackets but without spools.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
Spools also can serve a purpose like frame sliders, to take the grind for your bike in a crash.
...which is a really bad idea - only thing that's going to accomplish is to break the brackets off the swingarm. Those slider spools are retarded, the brackets - while plenty strong to hold the bike - are NOT strong enough to take impact.

You want low profile spools - if you want protection there, get axle sliders - they attach to a rod going through the rear axle, are MUCH stronger and won't cause added damage to the bike.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Spook155
Dick/Vagina Embracer

Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Tlee has the right idea, that's how my bike is set up. The 4" White LED strip is bright enough to light up the plate, and the road behind me, makes my bike legal, and is such a low profile that it looks like it fits.

OP, yours is trash, if you want to make your own kit, that's cool, but at least have the resources and brainpower to make it look like a 4 year old didn't do it.
Spook155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Johnson81
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee2989 View Post
I don't know why it's really that complicated used some scrap 1/8 flat bar I had laying aroun two small stitch welds a little rattle canning and a white led strip from autozone and I have 7 bucks invested in mine and looks alot better than the $10 the OP spent IMO
Attachment 195257
Attachment 195258
Attachment 195259

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
+1 on the LED strip from autozone!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Johnson81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
gsxr313
Lifetime Premium

Interesting...
gsxr313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Trackstar
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR750, 2012 Yamaha R6, 2011 Ninja 250

The Shervin is strong in this one....
Trackstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstar View Post
The Shervin is strong in this one....

And....figures it's another '12 showing off his mad skillz. I swear '13 can't come soon enough

Last edited by oldgixxer; 12-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
Kentucky Fried Cholo
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 1000

i used two L brackets. I paid maybe 3 bucks for both.
Kentucky Fried Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in