How to get your confidence back??? - Page 3 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Riding Tech

Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.
Re: How to get your confidence back???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti Hurst View Post
you say that one of your fears is how much throttle you can give it while cranked over. I wonder if this is tied to your visual skills. Say you were only looking about 20 feet in front of you as you were exiting a corner, how confident would you be with rolling hard on the gas? What if you were looking 40 feet in front?

Misti
Of course would roll on the throttle harder when looking further.....This IS what I was doing at Silverstone, maybe too far ahead, though iI didn't think that possible.
At Donnington, I wasn't looking that far ahead, as I ought to...so I think and concentrated on wrong bp...ie. swiveling round the tank!
I'll admit it....I was scared....that's really hard for me to say
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #42
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenkruspe View Post
I've scraped pegs on my bike a few times too often and sometimes had to back off the throttle slightly and coast through the turn so I wouldn't need to lean any further/lower (crucial).
Coasting is a big no no, from what i've understood.Either on the brakes, or on the throttle!
The guys i'm sure(hope) will correct me, if i'm wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenkruspe View Post
My medicine was just a faster rider around my level that I could follow close enough to gain confidence in what still feels stable.
Yea, as long as he doesn't pull off in the distance......I got a mate to follow who was faster.....he always pulled on me on right handers ....I'm pretty sure it's a combination of, not looking far enough ahead and wrong BP....but that's just my thoughts.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #43
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armi View Post
Of course would roll on the throttle harder when looking further.....This IS what I was doing at Silverstone, maybe too far ahead, though iI didn't think that possible.
At Donnington, I wasn't looking that far ahead, as I ought to...so I think and concentrated on wrong bp...ie. swiveling round the tank!
I'll admit it....I was scared....that's really hard for me to say
We all get scared sometimes, that's kinda the fun part about riding! So yes, looking farther ahead will help you roll on the gas harder.

I think you CAN look too far ahead when riding sometimes. It's a balance really, to look far enough ahead that your sense of speed slows down and you have a good place to aim for, but NOT too far ahead that you completely lose sight of where you are at that moment.

Take a long sweeping corner for example. If you try to look ALL the way through the corner at the very beginning of the turn, you might find yourself too close or too far from the apex and have to retract your eyes back in order to get yourself on the line you want and then look back ahead.

I see it as kind of connecting the dots, looking from one point to the next in a nice fluid motion. Brake marker, turn point, apex, exit RP, next turn point etc.....in the beginning it can seem choppy and mechanical but as your visual skills improve it becomes a nice fluid motion of your eyes. I try to look at my reference points until I know for sure that I'm going to hit them before looking to the next point.

Quote:
Coasting is a big no no, from what i've understood.Either on the brakes, or on the throttle!
The guys i'm sure(hope) will correct me, if i'm wrong!
Coasting through a corner is never a good idea. zvenkruspe said" I've scraped pegs on my bike a few times too often and sometimes had to back off the throttle slightly and coast through the turn so I wouldn't need to lean any further/lower (crucial)."

While I agree that you don't want to lean the bike over further if you are already at max lean angle I don't think that rolling OFF the gas in this situation is a good idea either.

Let's say you are already at max lean angle, scraping knee or peg and you find yourself running a bit wide in the corner? What would rolling off the gas do in this situation? What other options do you have?

Misti

mistihurst.com
motomom.ca
Misti Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #44
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Only girls get scared
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Only girls get scared
Piss taker!!!

Quote:

Let's say you are already at max lean angle, scraping knee or peg and you find yourself running a bit wide in the corner? What would rolling off the gas do in this situation? What other options do you have?

Misti
That would make you run wider, have heard that touching the rear brake helps tighten up the turn but I'd probably lock them up, so........I'd probably counter steer more and end up on my arse, right?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #46
zvenkruspe
Squid

Quote:
Piss taker!!!

That would make you run wider, have heard that touching the rear brake helps tighten up the turn but I'd probably lock them up, so........I'd probably counter steer more and end up on my arse, right?
Why say, would could or should?

I DID it, didn't shut it close but no roll on after apex either until I felt safe again. It didn't stand the bike up nor would it run any wider than maybe a foot, and that from the inside of the road I was ok before I would hit sand patches or roll off the road.

Those turns were at speeds around 50MPH apex. Fairly easy and light input on the bike, being able to make minor adjustments.

I wouldn't touch my rear brake unless I had to slow down from accelerating or at the end of my stop so I wouldn't lock up the front tire on the last meters. Shouldn't use a brake if there is no load/weight on it.

First time I was panicking just running wide, not even close to max lean, I intended to tighten up the turn and in the end the input was too rough/fast that it folded in the front tire immediately. Needed 3 guys to pull it out of that 4ft deep ditch.
zvenkruspe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Only girls get scared

Quote:
Piss taker!!!

Yes, rolling off the gas in this situation would make you run even wider and counter steering more would probably make you land on your arse. Some say that rear brakes helps but I'm with you in that I'd lock em up and make the situation worse, as would most....so what else could you do?

What could you do with your body to help tighten your line a little bit without altering your overall lean angle?

Misti
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #48
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Initial thought was moving over on the seat more but no!

Weighting the inside peg?....I'm asking....lol
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
Moto_Joe

I think we are assuming you are decked out in some way, and already running wide. Cant turn/lean any more and dont want to go straight off.

Easing off the gas may not be a terrible idea... but CLOSING it would absolutely be.

You need more ground clearance, and to carry the same arc at relatively the same speed. There is only one way to do that
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
8you4t
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

Hey Armi , sorry to hear of the spill mate ... i had a nasty one around a month ago at Sanddown ... still recovering will need op on left leg.
Im going to be going through the same struggles me thinks , im by no means the best track pounder but do ok ... my mistake was trying keep up with a much better rider ( a good mate ) lessen learned !!!!!!!!!!!!!
8you4t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #51
PDXGsxr600
Novice

Did you actually lay the bike down when you went off? You'll get a lot of good advice from these guys on how to get up to pace again but if you went in the grass - and dropped the bike, then that probably didn't have to happen at all.

Racing is one thing, but at a track day, if you start to realize you're not going to make a corner, stand the bike up, get off the brakes, drive into the grass, and do a little dirt biking - AKA rear brake only, and you should be 100% fine.

I'm at three track days myself and I've been in the grass twice in those two days, once for coming in too hot off the front straight and the second time had the rear break loose momentarily and lost my line. Both times I managed to ride it out, it was scary, but got right back on the track and kept on taking laps. I hit the green at 100+MPH the first time around and it was a bumpy ride and a bit hair-raising working the rear brake while staring at the big wall coming at me, but the party went on.

On a track with good run-outs the grass should be avoided but if you have to use it, use it.

Last edited by PDXGsxr600; 12-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.
PDXGsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #52
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGsxr600 View Post
Did you actually lay the bike down when you went off? You'll get a lot of good advice from these guys on how to get up to pace again but if you went in the grass - and dropped the bike, then that probably didn't have to happen at all.

Racing is one thing, but at a track day, if you start to realize you're not going to make a corner, stand the bike up, get off the brakes, drive into the grass, and do a little dirt biking - AKA rear brake only, and you should be 100% fine.

I'm at three track days myself and I've been in the grass twice in those two days, once for coming in too hot off the front straight and the second time had the rear break loose momentarily and lost my line. Both times I managed to ride it out, it was scary, but got right back on the track and kept on taking laps. I hit the green at 100+MPH the first time around and it was a bumpy ride and a bit hair-raising working the rear brake while staring at the big wall coming at me, but the party went on.

On a track with good run-outs the grass should be avoided but if you have to use it, use it.
Other than the last line this is mostly terrible advice.

If you are running off nearly every trackday you need to reevaluate your riding. Stop trying to see how fast you can go before you crash. There is only one way to find out. And crashing sucks
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #53
Moto_Joe

PS: if you are moving and the bike hits the ground it is not a "drop". It is not a "lay down".

It is a CRASH

Trying to minimalise it doesn't change that.

Rather acknowledge it as a crash. Accept it. Learn from it.

If you don't learn from mistakes you ate doomed to repeat them.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #54
8you4t
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

wise words Joe ... my crash was due to exactly what you said , riding to fast for my skills .... thats it full stop !!!!
8you4t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #55
TDI2Fan
Novice

I was at Donington with Armi that day in September. His attitude was off as well. Meaning he was not up for riding that day, I thought! Regardless of his confidence, he still inspired several in our group to have fun and enjoy the day.

I did enjoy my first time at Donington. That dang blind right double apex was my nemesis though. I also rode on the Power Ones for the first time.

I hope to do more track days with Armi next year. Maybe I will even be able to catch him (LOL) as I am doing Inters from now on!
TDI2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #56
GSXF60093
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Katana GSXF 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
wise words Joe ... my crash was due to exactly what you said , riding to fast for my skills .... thats it full stop !!!!
Yeah I have a ZX10R after laying it down or crashing it. I find myself skittish around corners or curves (AKA: Twisties) Any help would be appreciated. Tips to. Want to do a track day or more to be more confident. Thanks!
GSXF60093 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #57
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXF60093 View Post
Yeah I have a ZX10R after laying it down or crashing it. I find myself skittish around corners or curves (AKA: Twisties) Any help would be appreciated. Tips to. Want to do a track day or more to be more confident. Thanks!
I think you're full of shit. You have a 650. We've seen pics. You known the ones "your step son" posted
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #58
dylanjacobus
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #59
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

Quote:
Initial thought was moving over on the seat more but no!

Weighting the inside peg?....I'm asking....lol
Hahahaha

Well moving in the seat would probably upset the bike more than you would want and weighting the inside peg won't do much. What if you moved your upper body over (towards the inside of the turn) and down? What effect do you think that might have on the bike and the line that it is taking?

Misti
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #60
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI2Fan View Post
I was at Donington with Armi that day in September. His attitude was off as well. Meaning he was not up for riding that day, I thought! Regardless of his confidence, he still inspired several in our group to have fun and enjoy the day.

I did enjoy my first time at Donington. That dang blind right double apex was my nemesis though. I also rode on the Power Ones for the first time.

I hope to do more track days with Armi next year. Maybe I will even be able to catch him (LOL) as I am doing Inters from now on!
Thanks buddy very kinds words and so true....as in I wasn't up for it
May be doing Donnington again in Feb' but will confirm with you nearer the time

I must say though....you have pretty big balls. taking a pristine bike like that on track

Quote:
Hahahaha
Well moving in the seat would probably upset the bike more than you would want and weighting the inside peg won't do much. What if you moved your upper body over (towards the inside of the turn) and down? What effect do you think that might have on the bike and the line that it is taking?

Misti
That makes so much sense.....would keep the bike settled and tighten the turn, right?!

One question I do have Misty.........going through Craners, you go round a fast left hander, which then approaches a tight right hander.....whats the best way to scrub off speed safely.
I slow down too early and upright, I think

K6 thou forks/"K Tec" Springs, Brembo 19x20 RCS m/c, R1 calipers, Hel ss lines, DID x ring gold chain, Sudco full exhaust, BMC filter, Gilles rearsets, Factory Pro engine covers, Samco Hoses, GPR steering damper, Yoshi MJN Jet kit thanks to our resident carb Ninja CCMHUNT!'04 CRF 450R for giggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in