Battery doesn't charge while riding. Dies and wont start until battery is placed... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
gsxrphoenix
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 600
Battery doesn't charge while riding. Dies and wont start until battery is placed...

The other day out of nowhere, by bike goes dead. Like I rode it everywhere, and then I parked it, and two second later after deciding on a better parking space, it wont start. Won't even turn over. Friend jumpstarts it. It runs and then dies at our next stop (lucky we even got there). After that, won't it can't be jump started.

Friend goes and brings me their battery... replaces it... bike works fine we assume my battery was faulty. I get home, park the bike, try to cut it back on like 2 min later, won't start.

We began to assume it must be the stator of the rectifier...

Friend suggested disconnecting my alarm from the battery.

So I disconnected it, fully charged the battery, and rode the bike to my friends place. Once I got there (with no troubles even though it was like an 75 minute ride), we hooked it up to the charger for good measure, but my friend has a much smaller trickle charger so it didn't do much. Now it seems to be acting fine. I rode it all around town and at no point did the bike attempt not to start.

It might not start tomorrow after sitting over night... but it doesn't seem to be showing any of the prior symptoms.

Could a motorcycle alarm cause a problem that would prevent the battery from receiving a proper charge via the bike? I've had the alarm installed for about a month or so I've been using it more regularly recently.... but still this is a first. I've heard the gsxr's have a knack for the stator and rectifier going bad or something... but I hope it was just something funny with the alarm.

Any insight or similar situations?
gsxrphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650
Re: Battery doesn't charge while riding. Dies and wont start until battery is placed.

Do a search for "charging issues". Tons of threads if you search.

If you charge the battery, yes it will run till it's dead again. Go through the steps to check that it is charging. (service manual) Again, tons of threads on how to do this.

As the the old farmer said looking at his dead cow; "she looked just fine this morning"
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
spencer volk
Squid

Re: Battery doesn't charge while riding. Dies and wont start until battery is placed.

I've seen cases where the stator leads at the connector get hot and do some wierd things to charging system.Also,seen lots of bikes decked out with LEDs and alarms too having battery issues(more often than not).maybe check for a drain with alarm on and off before checking charging?
spencer volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
gsxrphoenix
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 600

I mean I've done tons of searches, my point is that hopefully its something simple, and I was wondering if anyone ever had a situation where something that isn't supposed to take up much juice can cause problems with charging.
gsxrphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrphoenix View Post
I mean I've done tons of searches, my point is that hopefully its something simple, and I was wondering if anyone ever had a situation where something that isn't supposed to take up much juice can cause problems with charging.
If the charging system was working correctly the alarm wouldn't drain your battery while riding and cause the bike to die. It's your stator and or RR. Notorious problems on the 06-07's. Here is a chart to test your charging system.

http://racetechelectric.com/files/pd...flow_chart.pdf
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
AbnInf
Gay for Putin

Motorcycle: K8 GSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrphoenix View Post
Could a motorcycle alarm cause a problem that would prevent the battery from receiving a proper charge via the bike?
No. If so alarms would be worthless. Stator and/or RR. That's what 75% of these threads are about.
AbnInf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement