Why ktm?? - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600
I get that, about your uncle. does it break less? Seems like I'm fixing some shit that failed on my bike every other week 35k on the clock
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
JetBlast
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

Re: Why ktm??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
I get that, about your uncle. does it break less? Seems like I'm fixing some shit that failed on my bike every other week 35k on the clock
break less? my Victory or my RC8? the Victory is very reliable and i have had zero issues. i also have a 3 year warranty on it

i dont know enough about the RC8 breaking down frequently but i can tell ya this much..OEM parts are EXPENSIVE! i actually did a few upgrades on my RC8 when i had it. KTM was nice enough to install a tidy tail on the bike so that was one less mod. i put stomp grip pads on the tank and had a reverse shift kit installed. i spent $100 on internal frame sliders. the sliders hide under the fairing. i also bought some new Rizoma rear turn signals to put on the tidy tail.

my favorite thing about the RC8 was the fact that i can adjust EVERYTHING! i can even lower/raise the seat height as needed. the manual was a bible and had every setting on the bike and how to set it with their tool kit. their tool kit allowed you to do 99% of the adjustments easy. another awesome thing i liked was the fact all the turn signals and everything else disconnected quickly for track duty.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
kevin.g
Club Racer

I meant the Victory but that's interesting about the RC8. You don't have to sell me on it, lol. I'm already dying for one. That tidy tail is a big improvement from the stock fender for sure. Seems like European OEM parts generally are more expensive than Japanese

I don't even have the Suzi tool kit, PO lost or took it guess. I should get a list of what's in there and put it under the seat. Found myself needing a 4mm hex and a screwdriver when my R/R freaking exploded yesterday on the way to work...

"If you fantasize about being shot from a cannon, we'd recommend riding a literbike as a marginally safer alternative."

Last edited by kevin.g; 12-08-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
JetBlast

Arizona Victory did a detailed video on why Victory transmissions are 1000x better than Harley's along with an engine comparison. I have to double check this but i recall reading that Victory engines do not burn oil due to the design. i cant remember if i read that somewhere or where i found that info. the engine/transmission efficiency is far ahead of Harley. i was told that Harley still uses engine/tranny technology from the 30's? its mostly because people like that setup and that is what sells their bikes despite the fact they have regular engine issues.

i cant help but be partial to Victory's styles on their bikes.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
kevin.g
Club Racer

I WAY prefer Victory to Harley... styling is sexier and I watched a bunch of videos about differences between the engines, the Victory motor is definitely designed much more betterer
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
The RC8 has been out for roughly five years...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
It's actually funny. A co-worker said, "Did you see the new KTM?!?" I'm like no. They say yeah, "the RC8!" I'm like, it's been around for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
HAZDADDY
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 1000, 2006 Busa-sold, 2006 cbr 600- sold
I'd love to take an rc8 for a spin but I think if I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd look at the panigale....even though it's a little more $

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S lll
HAZDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
yup
Douchebag with false sense of racial superiority

Motorcycle: k5 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
much more betterer
yes. yes indeed.
yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
kevin.g
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yup View Post
yes. yes indeed.
I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Epic
Back Marker

In my opinion:

That is an ugly ass bike but better than other newer models. Than again I think that alot of the newer styled bikes and very ugly, I don't know what the hell bike "designer's" have been smoking for the past 4-5 years.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

I love how the ktm's look. Just my .02
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #33
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

I think RC8 looks great.
dLegend82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #34
wisegunner
Rookie

Motorcycle: CBR1000rr '06(sold), GSXR600 K7

The best bike out right now? No. Pretty damn close, yes. I'd rather have an HP4 or an Aprilia RSV4 APRC. That's it. The only two bikes that I like more. ...ok maybe a 1290 Super Duke. YUM!
wisegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
JetBlast

the RC8R isnt the best euro bike out there but im sure they are working on that. after riding my first v-twin sport bike, i dont want to go back to inline 4's.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #36
dylanjacobus
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000

The bike kind of sounds like the jetson's ship when you take off.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #37
TeflonTrout
Ass Packer

Motorcycle: '99 GSX-R750-SOLD for '13 Kawasaki KLR-650

I'm also not sold on the retro-futuristic theme. It's a beast underneath the styling, but yesterday's aerodynamics aren't in common racing use anymore for a reason.

Practicality = Beauty. if a machine is built to do something, it should be as physically well suited for the task as modern technology can make it. Every part should be as efficient as possible. Parts exposed to the wind should be formed to move through it as cleanly as possible, which means no bulging angular protrusions.

If those are your thing, go look at a Calvin Klein ad. They have no place on a machine built to go fast.
Advertisement