Here is what you need to fix the 2000 750 2nd gear - Page 5 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 01-03 600 and 00-03 750

Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #81
Gorfnoom
Squid

Re: Here is what you need to fix the 2000 750 2nd gear

Guys just been rereading this thread and have just realised that I have put in an offensive smilie instead of a thumbs up

BIG SORRY Guys.
Gorfnoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #82
Harte
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte View Post
Any idea what parts govern the depth that 6th driven engages into the spokes on 2nd driven? Might have to check there isn't a missing washer or spacer behind 2nd or something.

There's a bit of wear on the gears, but much less than i expected. The 2nd/6th fork is fairly gouged however. Looks like the gears aren't engaging very deeply... only a couple of mm, hence pop out easily.

I'm betting the fork is bent and the main culprit. The shaft perhaps also but, going back to my earlier comment about parts... I can't get one! There's none in Australia at all and back-order is the only way!.
To follow up, if the fork shaft (no 4 in the diag) is true then the culpret is most likely a combo of the fork and gear shift cam.

We all know the fork can get bent and scratched, but also the chanels on the cam gear can wear, especially rounding where the grooves change direction meaning less positive feel and popouts.

I ended up undercutting my existing 2nd and changing the adjacent fork and not much else and its no longer popping out. I ran out of time and parts weren't available or I would have done more to restore the new feel to the gearbox.

I'd like to have a crack at a full proper rebuild down the track so it runs like a new bike after but being a daily ride it seems theres never a convenient time.
Harte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #83
iamppk
Squid

Hey guys funny we all find ourselves in similar situations. I just did the tranny swap on a 03 600 I used a 01 giggy 750 trans I put everything back together and bike runs great shifts good through all 6 gears but sounds like a diesel truck at low idle (seems like gear chatter) I did'nt disassemble the drive and countershafts all I did was switch them over from the 750 to the 600 anyone know what that chatter might be??? bike rides fine noise goes away when torque is applied or revved up past 2000 rpms.
iamppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #84
Harte
Back Marker

Ok people, i've torn the bike apart again. Just over 12 months since last time.
2nd/6th gear looks ok since the rebuild. 2nd gear fork also. Still engages after 3000ish like it did after it was fixed. I'm obviously not munching gear changes like the last owner did.

The reason for the tear down is the cam chain guides need inspection and I've had a persistent leak since not long after my last rebuild. Drops one or two oil drips on the LHS when i park it. The apparent source appears to be the clutch pushrod seal which needs the engine out so i'm doing averything in one go. I didn't change that seal last time due to not having a proper part list before starting and being stuck unable to get parts in time cos of crap availability in Aus.

I found out that the 6 unknown o-rings I mentioned last time were seals for where the oil galleries join from the lower case to the mid case. Didn't change them last time, I might do this time just to be thorough.

Will be doing the valve clearances and giving the bike a deep inspection while i've got it apart this time. Last time i rushed the reassemble as i'd run out of time where I could have the bike off the road (its my daily ride).

This time I have a loaner for a few weeks so i'm not going to be as rushed so i'll make sure everything goes back together like new.

Last edited by Harte; 03-13-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #85
GixxerCLiff77
Novice

Question Harte:

WHen you changed your 2nd/6th gear, did you just replace the 2 drive gears, or did you replace the 2 driven gears as well?
GixxerCLiff77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #86
Harte
Back Marker

only 2nd and 6th driven.

You should replace the shift forks and fork shaft also.
I got bitten by not being able to replace the clutch pushrod seal at the time so throw one of those in for good measure.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #87
Maniac98
Squid

Is the 750 clutch basket same as 600?
Maniac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #88
CaNiBuSCK
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2002 GSX-R 600

Do the driven gears need to be changed if they look fine? Can you get away with just the shift forks?
CaNiBuSCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #89
Harte
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNiBuSCK View Post
Do the driven gears need to be changed if they look fine? Can you get away with just the shift forks?
Depends on what you consider 'looks fine'

If they aren't rounded on the dogs or spokes then you can just swap the fork I suppose. Do that at your own risk. Its a PITA to pull it apart a second time. Pushrod seal taught me that.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #90
jutvh
Squid

I've just taken my 750Y out for a blast having just completed the rebuild for the 2nd gear issue. All good, no leaks, thank f**k.

I replaced 2nd & 6th gears, shaft, 2 forks, clutch pushrod & seal (just in case) and o rings, water pump seal, gaskets etc. One fork showed the classic signs of wear but did not seem bent. IMO the shaft did not need replacing but since I'd bought the part it went in. I couldn't see any difference (apart from wear) in the old and the new fork.
I'm not sure where the 'play' came from that caused the gears to diengage, maybe the selector drum should be changed. Seems OK at the moment.

A couple of tips for anyone else doing the job.
#1 Jack up the front of the bike by at least 4in, it makes getting the engine out much easier.
#2 Fabricate an open wooden box around the sump for the trolley jack, it makes the engine much more stable for reassembly than balancing on the drain plug.
#3 When replacing the transmission housing on the lower crankcase it is easier to have the engine completely upside down and chocked securely (make sure you don't put all the weight on the magnesium parts on the cam cover though), so that the forks in the transmission case hang upside down making it easier to locate them on the gear shafts. I practised this procedure a number of times before spreading the gasket bond on and going for it.

Otherwise, its as per the manual and this forum is a great help. Just go steady and keep it clean.
jutvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #91
GSXR_chimp
Novice

I'm looking at buying a 00 750 this coming week. Is there any fail-proof way to check the bike to see if it has this issue. Also, is there a certain mileage point this issue tends to happen at? I don't wanna buy a bike, and end up putting another 500$ in it the next week.

Thanks
GSXR_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #92
GSXR_chimp
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_chimp View Post
I'm looking at buying a 00 750 this coming week. Is there any fail-proof way to check the bike to see if it has this issue. Also, is there a certain mileage point this issue tends to happen at? I don't wanna buy a bike, and end up putting another 500$ in it the next week.

Thanks
Anybody?
GSXR_chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #93
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Only indication is when your in 1st gear high rpms shift into 2nd and accelerate. On hard acceleration if it pops out of gear then it is likely that the shift fork is worn. If the shift fork is considerably worn, it will pop out of gear with just moderate throttle application. I'm in need to do the 600 soon, my bike is starting to slip out of 2nd on hard acceleration.
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #94
mcefali
Squid

Motorcycle: 2001 GSX-R 750

i have a 01 750 and when im rolling in neutral there is a clicking sound like a bicycle... i am guessing this is normal? Thnaks
mcefali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #95
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Probably your chain.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #96
DropkickPutty
Squid

Hey folks, I've got a 2000 with the 2nd gear problem pretty severely. I'm looking at rebuilding it myself but I live in Canada and Ron Ayers pricing seems to be about 1.5 times the prices quoted earlier in the thread. That plus the increased shipping is going to put me above 600 bucks for the rebuild!

I'm wondering if either of these eBay lots would be sufficient for me to fix my bike.

This one
or
This one.

The first one is from an 02 and seems to be in pretty good condition. Would end up being ~$200 CDN at my doorstep.

The second is from an 01, and also seems to be in decent shape. It would be about 150 at my door.

From what I've been understanding, I would still be needing to replace the shift shaft (25510-35F01 SHAFT, GEAR SHIFT) in order to prevent the same thing from happening again?
DropkickPutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #97
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickPutty View Post
Hey folks, I've got a 2000 with the 2nd gear problem pretty severely. I'm looking at rebuilding it myself but I live in Canada and Ron Ayers pricing seems to be about 1.5 times the prices quoted earlier in the thread. That plus the increased shipping is going to put me above 600 bucks for the rebuild!

I'm wondering if either of these eBay lots would be sufficient for me to fix my bike.

This one
or
This one.

The first one is from an 02 and seems to be in pretty good condition. Would end up being ~$200 CDN at my doorstep.

The second is from an 01, and also seems to be in decent shape. It would be about 150 at my door.

From what I've been understanding, I would still be needing to replace the shift shaft (25510-35F01 SHAFT, GEAR SHIFT) in order to prevent the same thing from happening again?
Try honda toledo east.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #98
DropkickPutty
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugs View Post
Try honda toledo east.
Hey, thanks for the reply! But that's not exactly what I was looking for. They will charge a 40-60% brokerage fee on my order which will again raise the price drastically.

Looking specifically for advice on whether those two ebay transmissions will work, and if the 01 or 02 has the updated shift shaft already.
DropkickPutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #99
ZOO350
Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR 750

I dropped my motor out completely, it was pretty easy and quick. I stuffed heavy duty rags in the gears and used a impact gun to loosen the nut. I think I have tons of pics if you need a descriptions on how its done. I am more of a visual person myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trik View Post
Does the front sprocket have to come off to accomplish this gear change? I am unable to loosen the front sprocket - already broke a socket wrench.

But ... I don't want to pull the motor, only to have to loosen it with no leverage.

Also - anyone have a suggestion for holding the clutch basket to loosen that nut without buying the $150 tool?

Thanks everyone.
ZOO350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #100
1DeadSquid
Novice

Motorcycle: Chris

Just wanted to say that I have owned my 750 since 2001 and have put on 25k worth of hard miles and track days over the years and am still on the original gearbox. Never had to take it apart, never had any issues (touch wood). Guess I got one built on a Tuesday.
1DeadSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement