Low Fuel Light : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 01-03 600 and 00-03 750

Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
trackfiend
Squid

Low Fuel Light

Okay I tried doing a search for this and found nothing other than talking about distance left when it starts flashing. The problem I have with my 01 GSXR600 is all of a sudden the low fuel light starts flashing even when it's not low. I've never had it come on before. Went for a short ride this past Tuesday and it started to flash so I stopped and topped it off. It only took just over two gallons to top it off which I thought was odd. After filling up it would still intermittently flash. Has anyone had this happen before or have an idea what it might be?
trackfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Chugs
Lets go racing!

Re: Low Fuel Light

Maybe your float valve is faulty?
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
fastboatster
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R 600(sold), 2003 GSXR600 beater bike

i'd guess that low fuel light thermistor is done. you can test it according to the manual.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
trackfiend
Squid

Okay I'll try that. Thanks guys
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
trackfiend
Squid

Well apparently the thermistor is bad. Is there a way to bypass it to eliminate the light? I don't want to have to buy a fuel pump assembly that costs a fortune just to replace this part. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
fastboatster
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfiend View Post
Well apparently the thermistor is bad. Is there a way to bypass it to eliminate the light? I don't want to have to buy a fuel pump assembly that costs a fortune just to replace this part. Thanks for any help.
well, there're few options here, and they depend on your soldering skills or lack of them and on how bad you want the fuel light. So lets say you still want to have it, then if your 'lectronic skills are bad, then you can either buy it from your dealer (it IS available separately), which would run you in the neighborhood of 120-150$ depending on your dealer, OR, you can try to find it on ebay. But, if you know how to handle the soldering gun, then you can fix yours, just google it, I've seen people fixing their low fuel level light on other bikes, it's really gonna be just a 3$ thermistor.
If you don't want the fuel light anymore, then just go ahead and unhook the thermistor and remove it from the pump, and low fuel level light will never pop up.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
trackfiend
Squid

fastboatster-Thank you for the info. I have done wire soldering before so I feel comfortable doing that. Do you happen to have a part number for the thermistor and who might have one? If I can fix it for $3 that would be great.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
fastboatster
Club Racer

for thermistor itself there's no part number, many parts from different electronics suppliers would work. just google low fuel light repair and etc. it's very similar among many bike brands, including italian bikes - i think i saw some of the repair threads on aprilia forum. cars might be similar.
P.S. can't find the threads right now, but here's an example, although no pics and that's a prius
http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...-light-repair/
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
trackfiend
Squid

Thanks I'll start searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in