Why Are Fast Guys Fast? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Lightbulb Why Are Fast Guys Fast?

We all know that one must have proper body positioning, throttle control, and braking technique in order to ride at an intermediate to advanced pace for trackdays and racing. However, one can only move their body into the right position by so much. One can only brake so hard and have so much throttle control. So what exactly is it that makes the super fast guys go, well, super fast? Is it experience? Is it proper bike setup? But if it is those things, then why arent the old fuckers flying around like AMA guys? Am I the only one who has wondered this?

So, if there are any super fast guys on here, or anyone who knows some superfast guys, please let me know how you got that way. This question has really been bugging me especially as I watch CCS and AMA youtube vids. I know that practice makes perfect, but how does that explain the kids coming up thru the ranks by the time their 18? And those CCS guys have the same body positioning, braking points, etc as the AMA guys, yet the AMA guys would blow a CCS rider out of the water. What makes them tick? Im a bit tipsy so hopefully this line of questioning makes sense. Someone please cure me curiosity.
CCS-#418......Best Lap: VIR N-1.40.8 NJMP-? Summit-1.21.0 Roebling- ?CMP-?

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
!ThatGuy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
ice-kUb
No talent eh-hole squid, who stunts in traffic wearing flippie-floppies, board shorts and sunglasses when he is not parked at Tim Horton's representing his single-member squid bike club. Also a Fuckwad, a Jizz Receptacle and a Twat Waffle.

Motorcycle: k5 600
Re: Why Are Fast Guys Fast?

I'd say balls... Confidence, courage, not being afraid to wad it up would probably give you a bit of an edge. Mind over muscle, just knowing you can go faster and then doing it.
ice-kUb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
ice-kUb
No talent eh-hole squid, who stunts in traffic wearing flippie-floppies, board shorts and sunglasses when he is not parked at Tim Horton's representing his single-member squid bike club. Also a Fuckwad, a Jizz Receptacle and a Twat Waffle.

Motorcycle: k5 600

Just noticed it now, but read your own signature...
ice-kUb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-kUb View Post
Just noticed it now, but read your own signature...
true true.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Genetics play a part too. The guys who end up at top level can process input and convert that into the correct actions much faster than the average person. I watched a test with Michael Schumacher once - his eye-hand coordination seems superhuman. A few years ago he participated in an IDM race (German equivalent of AMA) on a wildcard just for fun - and finished 3rd, even with relatively little motorcycle track experience.

Practice can do a lot but practice plus genetics is what you need for the highest levels.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
It's_Just_Bob
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track

Education helps, too. Knowing what you're doing, and why, and when really helps.
It's_Just_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
Education helps, too. Knowing what you're doing, and why, and when really helps.
Yep - both what you and the bike are doing and why
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

So, technique, education, balls, practice and DNA is the recipe to be a top tier racer. Seems simple enough .
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
heaven knows I need a shit ton of this. LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
So, technique, education, balls, practice and DNA is the recipe to be a top tier racer. Seems simple enough .
Oh and money...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
COMEBACK
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: K5 & 07 750 race bikes and 08 Honda CBR1000RR

I'd say talent, dedication, unique sense of speed, full throttle control and experience which all adds up to full confidence in what your are doing on a bike are major factors that would make a fast rider.....and when reached this level bike performance will play apart.
I think it is common for most to have started early on small bikes and gone the grades towards becoming super fast.

At 52 I am by no means a very fast rider (and age is catching up), but fast enough to have won some local 2nd tier "Superbike" races in Thailand the last few years.

I got to my level simply because I have always ridden my bikes alot and been very kean on developing my skills rather than blinging out the bike for bike night purposes.........even though the mod bug hit me as well a while back .....
I have studied books, taken a few schools and tried to obtain as much as possible on how to ride a bike fast, street or track.

When riding in some groups I am always amazed to see how many riders are actually lacking basic knowledge on how to ride a bike...above all 180HP beasts
COMEBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

If it was easy then everyone would be a champion.....life doesn't work that way unfortunately.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
If it was easy then everyone would be a champion.....life doesn't work that way unfortunately.
wouldnt be fun if it was easy! certainly would suck though for the guys who got all the other elements perfected, but lost out on the DNA aspect. Make it so far in a career only to get stuck in a rut at a certain point.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Nahhh......it would take away from its value then. If everyone is special then none of us are

SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

George Carlin, biggest realist out there. love that guy. so funny.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #16
Tater Tot Wee Woo
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my baby face whoa did a pube just sprout?

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

This is the only way you can get fast.

THE ONLY WAY!!!!

http://www.gomotojoe.com/Coaching.html
Tater Tot Wee Woo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

It's quite interesting the whole idea of "having more balls". Surely having that confidence in your skills and your machine is key.

Whats interesting is when I look at the sim racing communities I've been a part of. You can clearly see the whole "alien" idea going on there. Even though personal risk, smashing your machine up, etc, are not at all part of sim racing, there are still the guys that can just go so much quicker than anyone else. As in new car on a new track, after a few laps to figure the lines out, they are right up the top of the timesheets

It must be something to do with natural talent and reactions, because even without the risks, you can see the people farting around at the back of the group, slipping and sliding around and setting terribly slow laptimes (having fun of course though ). And they are trying as hard as they can (because you see them complaining on forums sometimes), yet they find it hard. I dunno, like pushing through some sort of mental block, or barrier
I dunno if "getting a feel" is part of reactions though, because when racing the 60's F1 cars around in rFactor2, some people just spin constantly, or overcook their slides. Whereas for me, controlling the drive out of a corner with the car just drifting a little seems ok, as well as doing it consistently.

inb4 "lol sim racing fag, durrrrrrrr"

1998 GSXR 750: Full Titanium Yoshimura Tri Oval exhaust, K&N Filter, A.P.E MCCT, Factory Pro case covers, Goodridge Braided Steel Lines, K7 Radial Master Cyl, FP Levers, Yoshimura Billet Pillion pegs.

To do: Power Commander, Suspension work...
Minibull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #18
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

Money, Money, Money + all of the above.
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Fabian
Rookie

Motorcycle: '08 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
Genetics play a part too. The guys who end up at top level can process input and convert that into the correct actions much faster than the average person. I watched a test with Michael Schumacher once - his eye-hand coordination seems superhuman. A few years ago he participated in an IDM race (German equivalent of AMA) on a wildcard just for fun - and finished 3rd, even with relatively little motorcycle track experience.

Practice can do a lot but practice plus genetics is what you need for the highest levels.
Intangibles..............inherent abilities someone just posesses.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
Cazperz
Novice

Motorcycle: 2009 gsxr1000, 2006 gsxr750 track bike
If your not born into it...Money... only thing it doesn't buy is genetics but hey who knows in 20 years. Money buys education, track time, race experience, built bikes, pays for travel, living expenses, wife doesn't bitch when she has plenty. All those things make you go fast but can't have any of it without money. I'm pretty sure most the top guys have never even held a normal job in their lives.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cazperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement