In desperate need of help.... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
OutOnBond
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 Black/Yellow GSX-R 600, 2005 Beat the Heat Gixxer 1000
In desperate need of help....

My name is Sgt. Mark Welch, and along with some fellow officers at my Sheriff’s Department, in 2010 we established a local chapter of Beat the Heat, Inc. In case you are not familiar, Beat the Heat is a 501(c)3 charity that uses Law Enforcement themed race vehicles to teach young drivers about the dangers of Illegal Street Racing as well as other related issues such as Distracted Driving. Our chapter, Gwinnett County, GA-Beat the Heat, has a small team of 3 race vehicles, and a staff of 6 people. During the school year we take the vehicles to our local schools and events where we can reach out to the students and young drivers in the hopes we can make our roads safer and save lives. And during the warmer months, we “take it to the track.”

Unless someone has stepped up in the past few months that I am not aware of, I am currently running the ONLY Law Enforcement themed drag-bike in the program. I rescued my ’05 GSX-R 1000 from an impound yard in late 2010 and did my best to bring it back to life on a very limited budget. While on display at the NHRA Southern Nationals in May of 2011 it caught the eye of someone who thought he could help take things to the next level…and he did not disappoint. Within a few short weeks we had support coming in from people around the country, including Dusty Schaller of DynoJet, and the unbelievably generous Brock Davidson. They were able to help us obtain some much needed parts to turn our “junkyard bike” into a pretty stout little Gixxer. A fresh coat of paint, a full titanium exhaust, air shifter, and a PC-V was just the right medicine to get this bike running 9.4’s. Since then it has been featured in several publications, and on numerous websites.

The bike has seen quite a bit of track time since the rebuild in the summer of 2011. Its first major event was the 2011 Beat the Heat World Finals in Chattanooga where it became a quick fan favorite. All through 2011 and 2012 it has drawn a crowd everywhere it goes. From shows, to events, to schools, and to the track…everyone seems to love seeing the blue police strobes flashing through the sound of that Suzuki motor.

But, we felt it necessary to tear down the bike this winter to see what “damage” we have done over the past 18 months of track action and found we need to make some repairs. So, that is what brings me to you. When we pulled the clutch out we found one of the clutch plates broken in half, and it had managed to do some damage to the basket and hub. Unfortunately our resources barely cover our day-to-day operations and fuel costs. I am now at a point where I have to reach out to the racing community for some help. We are looking for a complete clutch assembly…hub, basket, fibers, and steels. I am hoping we can find someone who has the ability to help us collect these parts so we can get it ready for 2013, or the bike will be reduced to nothing more than a display piece. We are currently scheduled to appear at the 2013 Great American Motorcycle Show this coming January 27th in Norcross, GA, but the calendar is not our friend right now. If we can be fortunate enough to cross paths with someone who has the resources to help our program, we keep this one-of-a-kind Suzuki on the track where it has been showing kids how to race the right way….on the track, not the street. I am hoping there is someone out there who may be the link that helps us get this bike back on the racetrack. What I am asking is if you know of someone who would be capable and willing to assist our program, could you please forward this information to them so that they can contact me. ANY help we can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sgt. Mark Welch
MWelch327@aol.com
Gwinnett County, GA – Beat the Heat
www.bthgwinnett.org
www.beattheheatinc.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike1.jpg (72.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg atl10000.jpg (45.0 KB, 124 views)
facebook.com/pages/gwinnett county, ga-beat the heat
OutOnBond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750
Re: In desperate need of help....

You might be able to write to these guys and see if they would be willing to donate or discount a heavy duty clutch for the bike . http://www.barnettclutches.com/ . You might want to see if any local Suzuki dealers would be willing to sponsor the bike as in supplying some of the parts at cost or less. Of coarse you would have to advertise their dealership on the bike possibly.

I shattered a clutch plate in my first bike . It was from dumping the clutch at to high a RPM. It was a very squidly moment . Stood the bike up onto it's tail in about 5 feet . Scared the hell out of me . I was lucky to get the bike back down on both wheels with out crashing .

Good luck getting the clutch back together . Sounds like a great cause you've got going .Nice looking bike .
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
OutOnBond
Squid

Thanks for the tip, Coop. I shot them a quick email...who knows? They may be the link that gets things rolling. We have reached out for "sponsorship" proposals in the past, but since we do not really run it in a full time series, we have been looked over. I ran the Summit ET series last year at Atlanta, but only hit about 75% of the race dates. We just don't have the budget to keep it on the track full time. Right now it is about 50% school visits and 50% track.

I can relate to the "dumping at high rpm" concept. We do not know how long the clutch has been broken, but the last pass it made before we tore it down was right on it's number...9.42 @ 147. We have the SB-6 programmed to 12,200 on the two-step...just drop the clutch and let it eat. I was shocked to see the fibers fall out of the basket when I realized I was running 9.4's on a broken clutch. I highly doubt it was the LAST PASS of the year that broke it.

We were hoping to try and put a few extra hp's in it this winter and see if we can get it in the 8's, but now I just hope we can get it back together. 18 months on a clutch is not bad...especially considering how hard it gets launched off the line.

Thanks again...we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Hope you get the help you are looking for.
Did you drop the pan&clean out the pickup? If not you will be needing alot more parts real soon lol
oldgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
COBRA90GT
Miss Sofonda Cox

TTT for a good cause, best of luck Sarge!
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
OutOnBond
Squid

You guys are AWESOME!! It looks like we MAY have a couple sets of fibers and springs coming, but I do not want to "out" the donor until we know for sure. It seems like the biggest challenge will be finding a clutch basket. If we can sort it out quick enough, I can arrange for them to be added to the upcoming article about the bike that will be featured this February in Born To Ride magazine. Please keep spreading the word if you can...it has been sad to hear students so disappointed this fall as we have not been able to bring the bike to the schools we visit. I'd love to add some new names and logos to the bike and trailer as we continue to promote the companies who are helping us fight the practice of Illegal Street Racing.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

I may have a spare basket in the garage,if I do I will send ya a PM
oldgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Hope you get the help you are looking for.
Did you drop the pan&clean out the pickup? If not you will be needing alot more parts real soon lol
:

how often do you have to do this on a street bike?? I didn't know it was necessary... I just follow the maintenance schedule in the service manual along with a couple other things

to OP: good luck on your mission, a worthy cause for sure
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
:

how often do you have to do this on a street bike?? I didn't know it was necessary... I just follow the maintenance schedule in the service manual along with a couple other things

to OP: good luck on your mission, a worthy cause for sure
If you read the original post you would know the the OP broke a friction disk and damaged the basket . The reason for dropping the pan is to check for little bits of metal floating around down there .
coopgt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopgt1 View Post
If you read the original post you would know the the OP broke a friction disk and damaged the basket . The reason for dropping the pan is to check for little bits of metal floating around down there .
I read the OP but I didn't know that was why. Thanks
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
OutOnBond
Squid

We are also looking at those issues, Kevin. The block has been drained and cleaned, and we have another new oil pump ready to stick in. When you get into the racing aspect of what we do, there are very few shortcuts that don't result in bigger problems. Anytime we have a part failure, the oil pump is automatically on the replacement list. On you street bike, it would rarely be an issue if you are following routine maintenance. We dump the clutch on this bike at just above 12k, so the stress limits are pushed. Actually, there is a video on our facebook page where I was running a street e/t class without the two-step (and forgot the SB-6 was OFF), ran it up to 13.5k on the line, and floated the valves. It was THAT pass that had me wanting to tear it down this winter, but we were looking for top end damage, NOT the clutch. Ironically, the head looks great, but the clutch fibers fell out in pieces.

The bike sure puts on a pretty cool show, but I think I will dial back the launch rpm's if we can get it back together...somewhere around 10k. 60 ft's will suffer, but it is not like we are racing for money, just for education.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in