Master link question : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
silver03
Novice

Master link question

Can a clip style master link be riveted? I bought a used K7 and the chain was replaced, but I just noticed it has a clip style master. I've used the pro motion tool I have a few times so I am good with that, just don't know if I can rivet the clip link.
If not, how do I figure out what type of chain I have?
Thanks,
John
silver03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
No. The rivet type have a hollow
End designed to rivet. The clip has a groove that likely will not distort properly and thus be dangerous.

The chain should say on the main links what kind it is. Look on both sides carefully
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Trackstar
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR750, 2012 Yamaha R6, 2011 Ninja 250
Re: Master link question

^ +1
Trackstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
silver03
Novice

Thanks guys. I knew I'd get a quick answer here.
silver03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
red_bandit
Back Marker

zip ties?
red_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

+1 to the above. You just need to make sure you get exactly the same master rivet link as the chain as the specs between different models are different. So just ensure you get the exact same rivet link as the chain. Too often we see dealers chuck any rivet link at any chain and that shouldn't be done.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
cappa
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 750

So i ordered a 520 MVXZ EK blue chain the other day and a -1 +2 driven sprocket kit the other day for a 06 GSXR 750 and it came with a clip style master link. Is that a common thing with that chain and should I be calling the shop back that I ordered from to bitch them out or is that a EK chain screw up thing that you have to special order a rivet style master link? You say that you can't just rivet that clip style link either hey?

Last edited by cappa; 07-03-2013 at 01:57 AM.
cappa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
cappa
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 750

I looked on Ek chains website after and it says that the rivet style is standard with this chain. Don't know why it would come with a clip style. Guess I will have to call the shop I ordered from and see what is up. Sucks cause now I can't even put it on till I get another link and I need a blue rivet link to go with the chain. I am in Canada or I would have just ordered from motomummy, cause I know your site says every chain is standard with rivet style master link, but it was way cheaper from a local shop in Canada as I don't have to worry about duty and shipping is 13 bucks.

Last edited by cappa; 07-03-2013 at 02:01 AM.
cappa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Motomummy pulls the clip links out and replaces them for all their customers.

You wont find a blue master. It'll be silver.

$13 was worth not having the hassle you do now
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Graveyard
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer 1000, 06 gixxer 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
I looked on Ek chains website after and it says that the rivet style is standard with this chain. Don't know why it would come with a clip style. Guess I will have to call the shop I ordered from and see what is up. Sucks cause now I can't even put it on till I get another link and I need a blue rivet link to go with the chain. I am in Canada or I would have just ordered from motomummy, cause I know your site says every chain is standard with rivet style master link, but it was way cheaper from a local shop in Canada as I don't have to worry about duty and shipping is 13 bucks.
You can put it on, if your set on riding the weekend just put it in and order a rivet style. Running a clip style for a bit isn't going to hurt anything unless your an idiot and put the clip on the wrong direction. I run rivet and clip style have yet to have an issue with either. I know there is tons of debate and I'm not arguing that the rivet style is the better option and gives you a sense of insurance but a clip style link put in correctly and safety wired will be just fine till you get a rivet style.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
You can put it on, if your set on riding the weekend just put it in and order a rivet style. Running a clip style for a bit isn't going to hurt anything unless your an idiot and put the clip on the wrong direction. I run rivet and clip style have yet to have an issue with either. I know there is tons of debate and I'm not arguing that the rivet style is the better option and gives you a sense of insurance but a clip style link put in correctly and safety wired will be just fine till you get a rivet style.
+1 I ran a clip style master link on the street on my other bike for 20 + years with no issue. You just need to make sure you assemble it correctly.
coopgt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopgt1 View Post
+1 I ran a clip style master link on the street on my other bike for 20 + years with no issue. You just need to make sure you assemble it correctly.
Exactly
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in