Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)
Re: Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippysport View Post
What I'm saying is that being legallly in the right does not keep you safe at all. You need to go way beyond that and look out for yourself. If you ride a motorcycle, and think that because you were on the correct side of the road, or the light was green for you, everything will be alright, you are a fool.

Yes, it is a non-standard thing to have to deal with, but you should stay ready to do it. Unless you want to just give up and let stuff happen because it was "Your time to go". There are many who don't want to think that hard, or work that hard when they ride. To me, you can't stay safe decade after decade without setting the standards high. Other drivers and riders do wrong, clumsy, dumb, and illegal manuvers regularly. People only follow the rules by choice, and can veer out of a lane at any time. There is nothing but custom that keeps every oncoming car from drlving right into you. A driver has a stroke, gets distracted on their phone, argues with the kids in the back seat, or whatever, and drives right into you. And then you are dead because you didn't account for that. I do account for that, as much as I can. I think that a lot of riders don't. I do have that higher standard for myself.

If you don't want to have that higher standard, you might not be ready when the weird happens. I know that nothing and no one is perfect, but when I ride, I try to be. I've been riding sport bikes for 30+ years, including a decade lane splitting freeways into downtown L.A. I've also spent more that 100 days at the track, going a 65 day stretch without a crash. When I did crash, it was a mechanical issue where the front brakes locked up. That was still my fault for not doing a more thorough inspection than I did. All the while, others running at similar or slower speeds are getting maybe 5 days between crashes. I can't tell you how many downed riders or spinning bikes I've dodged. It seems that they drop like flies, some days. Then they blame it on cold tires, or wet track or whatever, instead of blaming themselves for clumsy input or not judging the available traction properly.

I put more in, and I get more out. I always say to myself, what would I do if a driver crosses the line? What if they run that red light? What if this guy I'm about to pass bins it?

I know full well that there are no sure bets, and that there could actually be something out of your control that happens to you, but you can very greatly reduce the likelyhood of one of these events catching you out if you are ready for it.

Bikes are dangerous, and you really have no protection greater than your own wits. No matter what the rules say, or the law says, you have the ulitimate responsibility for what happens to you. Give it up to "fate" or don't. You choose.
That was long-winded and revealed something to me about you.

ONE only gets one chance. One chance to make the right decision on a bike and one chance to make an impression.

This post was about announcing a tragic event. Everyone who decided to post a reply, shared a cultural difference but wasn't disrespectful.

Why the need to display a personal feeling about an accident in the tone presented?

From what life has taught me, ONE could do the greatest things an entire life and have just one mistake that makes everything else irrelevant.

Will my comments affect you in a positive way? I hope so.

Good luck with eveything in your life.

Ed
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
That was long-winded and revealed something to me about you.

ONE only gets one chance. One chance to make the right decision on a bike and one chance to make an impression.

This post was about announcing a tragic event. Everyone who decided to post a reply, shared a cultural difference but wasn't disrespectful.

Why the need to display a personal feeling about an accident in the tone presented?

From what life has taught me, ONE could do the greatest things an entire life and have just one mistake that makes everything else irrelevant.

Will my comments affect you in a positive way? I hope so.

Good luck with eveything in your life.

Ed
Here is the reason that I posted in the tone that I did. I feel that a lot of people read and hear about tragedy, and don't take anything away from it but being glad it was not them. When I read such a post, I am thinking about how I can prevent it from happening to me and to you.

I've seen so many bikes and bones broken needlessly at the track, and heard so many of these horror stories that I wanted to find a better way to deal with them than just feeling bad, but doing nothing to reduce them.

I saw this as an opportunity to focus on preventing tragedy instead of focusing on the tragedy. I do feel badly for those involved, their families, children, wives and others.

You are very right that one bad moment can end it all. I appreciate that fact, and try to appreciate and respect it with every ride. You are also right that we can try everything in our power, and still fail to stay safe. But I also feel that many do not try hard enough. I feel that some days, I also do not try hard enough. I'm not perfect, but when I'm riding, I try to get as close as I can, while still enjoying myself.

I wish you good luck as well. I'm still thinking on what you said. I think there is some value to appreciating that you can't control everything.
Zippysport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
LynnM
Club Racer

What a sad day. On the other hand we have a very confusing poorly written article
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippysport View Post
Here is the reason that I posted in the tone that I did. I feel that a lot of people read and hear about tragedy, and don't take anything away from it but being glad it was not them. When I read such a post, I am thinking about how I can prevent it from happening to me and to you.

I've seen so many bikes and bones broken needlessly at the track, and heard so many of these horror stories that I wanted to find a better way to deal with them than just feeling bad, but doing nothing to reduce them.

I saw this as an opportunity to focus on preventing tragedy instead of focusing on the tragedy. I do feel badly for those involved, their families, children, wives and others.

You are very right that one bad moment can end it all. I appreciate that fact, and try to appreciate and respect it with every ride. You are also right that we can try everything in our power, and still fail to stay safe. But I also feel that many do not try hard enough. I feel that some days, I also do not try hard enough. I'm not perfect, but when I'm riding, I try to get as close as I can, while still enjoying myself.

I wish you good luck as well. I'm still thinking on what you said. I think there is some value to appreciating that you can't control everything.
Sorry if I sounded harsh. You're explanation is understandable but what I've learned is...our intent may not match what other people are thinking. It's very difficult to convey a feeling and have people accept it "as is".

You accepted what I said and I'm glad I made a point to you without you turning back at me and getting upset. It takes a lot to write what you did in your response and I respect that.

Ride safe and thanks for the positive reply.

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in