front brakes locking up - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
92sc300tt
Squid

Re: front brakes locking up

This has also helped me thanks! still need to test ride but pretty sure it was the problem
92sc300tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
kirk750
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfacenukka View Post
I had to replace that lever recently... maybe thats my same problem.

*edit*

So I just went out to look at my lever, and to my surprise I didn't put the rod into the little toggle either. I took it off and readjusted it and will find out tomorrow if it also works.
Same problem. SAME SOLUTION! Simply didn't get the rod all the way into the receiving ball, it had rotated slightly so that it was out of line. Good deal guys.
kirk750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
TeflonTrout
Ass Packer

Motorcycle: '99 GSX-R750-SOLD for '13 Kawasaki KLR-650

Yet another nugget of wisdom tucked away for the future. Glad none of you did a surprise front tire inspection.
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
zvenkruspe
Squid

I'd always suggest Brake Lever first. Sometimes you'd think they use the same parts for the same generation of bike, ou just never know. I've had friends who did a quick repair by borrowing a spare lever off a buddy where the parts looked similar but in the end the fluid would warm up and expand, braking.

I doubt air would ever cause stiff brakes if the master cylinder and brake lever were 100% good.

Air gives a spongy feeling, compressing when pulling the lever. I can't have my brakes stiff enough for a light and quick response. Short thin fingers, girls thing.
zvenkruspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
THSlay21
Squid

I just got my 05 750 and we have no probs with it I knew it was a fixer upper so I bought it bad tires and a few other kinks. . . so we get new tires noticed by accident squeezed the front brakes when tire was off the front and the pads didn't really clinch together me and my buddy were scared so we put the tire back on and bled the all the points notices a lot of air coming out the thing was before we discovered this i was using the brakes and they were "working" for an inexperienced rider prob didn't recognize yes i noticed it was choppy but i assumed bc the tires. either way so order new M/C and we take old one apart and notice the spring is a lot cruntched as the new one so im assuming its because that's old been used worn down so we do everything bleed brakes so no air in btw we clean out all the lines everything. so my guy helping me says let me go for test ride and about 2-3 miles brakes lock on him and he tried reengage the brakes and the wont budge he bleeds them and they work again so we come back and thinking pistons might need lube we bleed again and again and i go out 6-7 miles in i start smelling odor my front start bobbing and i pull to side and my brakes lock again . I m confused ive read this post from beginning to end and yes i do have after market levers from previous owner just ordered new rotors bc mine are black/brown now im just asking for suggestions might be the case we are checking the lever later today but if that's not the issue what would prob be the next thing to check
THSlay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by THSlay21 View Post
I just got my 05 750 and we have no probs with it I knew it was a fixer upper so I bought it bad tires and a few other kinks. . . so we get new tires noticed by accident squeezed the front brakes when tire was off the front and the pads didn't really clinch together me and my buddy were scared so we put the tire back on and bled the all the points notices a lot of air coming out the thing was before we discovered this i was using the brakes and they were "working" for an inexperienced rider prob didn't recognize yes i noticed it was choppy but i assumed bc the tires. either way so order new M/C and we take old one apart and notice the spring is a lot cruntched as the new one so im assuming its because that's old been used worn down so we do everything bleed brakes so no air in btw we clean out all the lines everything. so my guy helping me says let me go for test ride and about 2-3 miles brakes lock on him and he tried reengage the brakes and the wont budge he bleeds them and they work again so we come back and thinking pistons might need lube we bleed again and again and i go out 6-7 miles in i start smelling odor my front start bobbing and i pull to side and my brakes lock again . I m confused ive read this post from beginning to end and yes i do have after market levers from previous owner just ordered new rotors bc mine are black/brown now im just asking for suggestions might be the case we are checking the lever later today but if that's not the issue what would prob be the next thing to check
That was almost impossible to read. Try using some punctuation. It goes a long way around here.

As for your problem. I bet you have cheap chinese aftermarket levers, replace them and your problem will be gone.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #27
THSlay21
Squid

Your right about the bad grammar I was just in a little bit of a rush. But as of right now I'm concerned in the fact my bike never acted that away before. Now this happened after we put the new stock guts for the M/C. What is bad the guy I bought it from I know as a Co worker and he said that the whole M/C ass. is nissin and the lever is yana shiki but the guy I working on it with says the M/C is stock, and he says the lever does look like it but we tried searching for those specific levers couldn't find them. Come to find out he bought the whole set on ebay so I don't know. . . . Im about to go on bike bandit see about some levers and brake pads hoping that is the case. If not would it be smart to buy caliper piston rebuild kit or just piston seals kit? We've narrowed it down to either lever or calipers if those fail we don't know what is going on.
THSlay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #28
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by THSlay21 View Post
1 ellipsis

2 full stops

Holy fuck that was hard

Like 1/4milecrazy said, dodgy levers for you sir. If the lines were full of air before, I don't think the shitty lever would have been able to do the usual thing they seem to do, which is where the brake drags as the MC plunger doesn't sit properly in the pivot hole. The fluid heats up and the brakes drag and eventually lock.
Go here http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335452

You bled it, go for a ride with proper working brakes, and the front locks up.
Being that you say something about getting levers off Ebay, I would say it is the levers causing problems. Get a nice set of levers from a reputable company like FP, Pazzo, ASV, CRG, etc.

Nissin is the stock MC btw
1998 GSXR 750: Full Titanium Yoshimura Tri Oval exhaust, K&N Filter, A.P.E MCCT, Factory Pro case covers, Goodridge Braided Steel Lines, K7 Radial Master Cyl, FP Levers, Yoshimura Billet Pillion pegs.

To do: Power Commander, Suspension work...
Minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600

Buy some factory levers, or a high quality pair of aftermarket levers. I suggest Motomummy or Sportbiketrackgear. The stock Suzuki master cylinder is Nissin, Yana Shiki is defintely one of the cheaper lever comapanies, they are better than the crap you find for $30 on ebay, but still, I think you should spend the money on good levers, The quality and dependability are worth the cost.

Take your time assembling and make sure the pin coming out of the master cylinder is lined up properly.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement