FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics) - Page 12 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 08-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #221
IHaveGrumpyPants
Novice

Re: FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics)

Dude you still have it?? Wanna sell it? haha!!
IHaveGrumpyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #222
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveGrumpyPants View Post
Dude you still have it?? Wanna sell it? haha!!
The JACKET? LOL! It was a 2-piece set of leathers... nothing too fancy, but actually a good set! I gave them to my skinny cousin when he picked up an older Drag Z1 that he was going to rebuild. It had NO rear shocks (hard-tail) and long swing-arm and he ended up toasting the leathers while riding on I-270 loop around Columbus one day when he JUST got the bike together and hit a BUMP doing 70mph. DOH!

I had BAD memories of that jacket anyway... since a BROW RECLUSE found it's way into the sleeve and I got BIT when I put it on... causing my forearm near the elbow to swell up and ooze some kind of McDonald's Special Sauce-goo from the necrosis that haunted me for months and required 10 days of I.V.s with 2000mg of Rocephin (or something) to reverse the effects! Heck, I had to look in ALL sleeves of clothing for nearly six months before I got over the whole ordeal! GOOD RIDDANCE! (I'm not afraid of spiders... UNLESS they are little funny looking brown one's with a FIDDLE on their back! I HATE those things!)

-crisp
crispone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #223
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Looks like I might be going with a Hyperpro progressive spring shock setup on this build... no pics yet, but some interesting progress tentatively scheduled for this coming week on Franco!

Stay tuned!

-crisp
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #224
gotgixers
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 7/12

looking forward to it .......
gotgixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #225
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

...on another note... computer simulations of the specifications on this build are placing it around 180~185HP in a very "street-sensible" package... focused more on broad, sweeping power delivery that is very linear with great balance and smooth mechanics using slightly smaller carburetion for maximizing velocity of charge over peaky intake dynamics... so I am very pumped to see how it all sorts out! The last build was by a Mini-Sprint car motor build background guy and a bit harsh on the motor... likely the cause of the snapped crank and abused top-end drivetrain. This build should make for a far more "happy" motor... and hence, pilot as well!

(I'll be getting more detailed specs together for reference when I am able.)

-crisp
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #226
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

If you look closely, you may notice the TSCC (Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber) contoured head has been carefully "de-contoured" to compensate for the aggressively domed Wiseco 1255cc slugs and improve flow and efficiency of burn by minimizing undue turbulence...

...what's that, you say??? Looks similar to a HEMI head did I hear???

Hmmm... interesting thought.

-crisp
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #227
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

...more head work pics... (FrankenGixer variety...)

And for a little "quick-fix"...

...rolled out the Gamma and FrankenRacer and took a spin with a buddy!

PERFECT DAY!

-crisp
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #228
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Back-cut gears and Carrillo rods...

83mm Wiseco domed pistons...

Second gen Gixer front end after some clean-up, bearing swap and set of 6-pot Tokico's were mated up and test fitted... (Cleaned calipers will still need some fresh paint to complete the "old-fresh" look. )

...just some more progress pics on Franko... slowly, but surely!

-crisp
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #229
NAJ2627
Rookie

lookin' good.
NAJ2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #230
Tchatterton24
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 750, 2012 Aprilia RSV4R factory, 2013 Aprilia SR50 Max Biaggi Replica

Crisp, those 2 bikes in that freshly hosed down driveway look REALLY nice! If I was driving by I would be forced to pump my brakes and stop to take a closer look

Had to be a fun ride
Tchatterton24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #231
mapball
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 77 GS550; 86 GSX-R750

how is the cushioning in that carved out seat? Does it feel sufficient?
mapball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #232
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ2627 View Post
lookin' good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchatterton24 View Post
Crisp, those 2 bikes in that freshly hosed down driveway look REALLY nice! If I was driving by I would be forced to pump my brakes and stop to take a closer look

Had to be a fun ride

Thanks, guys! The ride was AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapball View Post
how is the cushioning in that carved out seat? Does it feel sufficient?

Amazingly, the seating is actually not that uncomfortable! The most difficult part of it is the tight relationship between pegs and seat... especially on the KNEES! (It's a MUCH tighter squeeze than stock!) On the other hand, your center of gravity is NOTICEABLY lower, and you really sit IN the bike. Torso over the tank is much more of a "hug" than the stock reach, and in the end, your BRAIN gets tired long before your BUTT is sore...

...also, with the single-seat setup and cut-out cushion foam, NO CHANCE of sliding around in the saddle! The throttle puts you FIRMLY in the tail-section, and it's very well planted when running it flat-out!

-crisp
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #233
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

http://youtu.be/wiaC2XiecBs

Made a short video using a new app I got for my iPhone (V.I.K.T.O.R.). Great little app, and easy to use! Here's my December 1st, 2012 fine-weather ride from over the weekend...

-crisp
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #234
jackbird_xx
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: '85 GSX-R w/ Limited Dry-clutch, '85, '86 GSX-R750, '87 GSX-R750, '91 GSX-R750, '94 CBR600f2, YSR 80cc

Nice video clip Crisp. It's like a "best of" or highlite reel. Very good

jb_xx
jackbird_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #235
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbird_xx View Post
Nice video clip Crisp. It's like a "best of" or highlite reel. Very good

jb_xx

Thanks jb! This little iPhone app does "ALL" the work for you, OR you can "re-edit" after it does a short montage of vids and "replace" segments (it randomly pulls an alternate) and repeat until you like the result, then save it! I'd recommend this app over ANY of the other video editing (for short montages with sound, etc...) due to it's relative ease of use, great interface and impressive results, even on the fly!

-crisp
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #236
Oddsen
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispone View Post
...on another note... computer simulations of the specifications on this build are placing it around 180~185HP in a very "street-sensible" package... focused more on broad, sweeping power delivery that is very linear with great balance and smooth mechanics using slightly smaller carburetion for maximizing velocity of charge over peaky intake dynamics... so I am very pumped to see how it all sorts out! The last build was by a Mini-Sprint car motor build background guy and a bit harsh on the motor... likely the cause of the snapped crank and abused top-end drivetrain. This build should make for a far more "happy" motor... and hence, pilot as well!

(I'll be getting more detailed specs together for reference when I am able.)

-crisp
Read all you`re posts today.
Interesting stuff for a new gixxer man
Think I want to go and look for an RG..
If it`s so good to handle as you tell us, it is a must bike.
Has been an owner for several 2 strokers in the past.
Those triples from Kawasaki...
So yes,- I have to look for one of those quad things :-)
Cherio and thanks for all the info. Hope it don`t stop
Oddsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #237
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddsen View Post
Read all you`re posts today.
Interesting stuff for a new gixxer man
Think I want to go and look for an RG..
If it`s so good to handle as you tell us, it is a must bike.
Has been an owner for several 2 strokers in the past.
Those triples from Kawasaki...
So yes,- I have to look for one of those quad things :-)
Cherio and thanks for all the info. Hope it don`t stop
Thank you for the post and interest! NOTE: The RG really needs some pretty well placed upgrades to handle like mine does! The original suspension just doesn't cut it on them... particularly as old as they are! Subtle changes with well suited mods make a WORLD of difference, and are not readily achieved with "hit-n-miss" attempts. (I am "quoting" some VERY knowledgeable sources... as I am NOT an expert on this myself, but trust good people who have done my build/setup very well.)

Oh yes... the KWAKI TRIPLES! I still think back to my '72 Mach III H1 Triple and riding it after using ARMORALL on the seat to clean it! DOH!!! About ended up on my TAIL-BONE as soon as it hit the 1,500rpm window of power-band and nearly lost the squirrely bars to the sky!

Thanks for viewing!

PS: you may also like http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206374 if you enjoyed the posts in here!

(Sorry some of the links are broken on vids in there... but you may still find them out there!

-crisp
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #238
Oddsen
Squid

Oh yes... the KWAKI TRIPLES! I still think back to my '72 Mach III H1 Triple and riding it after using ARMORALL on the seat to clean it! DOH!!! About ended up on my TAIL-BONE as soon as it hit the 1,500rpm window of power-band and nearly lost the squirrely bars to the sky!

Thanks for viewing!

PS: you may also like http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206374 if you enjoyed the posts in here!

(Sorry some of the links are broken on vids in there... but you may still find them out there!

I found the last ones :-)
A H2 could not cope with that RG at all.
H2 was a strong bike in lower end but when it came to 120-30 mph
it ended there. And the 500 was a bad ass in bottom, (I had several )
But off coarse with tuned pipes and some mods in the syl. they might go
well. It`s a pitty they where air cooled. I broke several pistons on highway :-)
But yes,- they where a lot fun.- But often I ended up more with the wrench than I ride the thing. Still helping people on the net fixing them :-)
There are a lot of them here in Norway. Think now days that it`s much more fun
riding that old slingy off mine.Have an old Jota too when going touring :-)
And I do not need to tighten screws after a spin :-)
Cheers
Oddsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #239
crispone
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Okay, LOOONG time no post!

It's been (and still IS) a very lengthy and unpleasant winter, and Spring has YET to actually ARRIVE here in the Midwest of USA!

...however... it is finally approaching soon, and I MUST begin to sort out my Frankengixer build-up if I intend to do any early season (or SUMMER, for that matter) riding!

Several details to sort out, but among the first I am needing input on from those who have done this sort of thing before, is WHICH clip-ons to choose for my 2nd gen tubes and what other recommendations you guys have for levers and such as I start to figure my front end out. The bike will be built-up with many of the original '86 components, but the entire front end is freshly built-up off an '89, and I'd just as soon get "good" components to mate with it, along with the fresh brake setup. Open to your suggestions, guys... what do you think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I'm beginning to get the itch to see this big motor put through it's paces!

EDIT:

PS, found an OLD pic from the mid-'90s when the Frankengixer was just an 1109cc naked menacing the local countryside! (Who's that "dated" '80s clad goon standing next to my old Gix???)

-crisp
Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #240
awasson
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR 750, 1986 GSXR Limited, GSXR750RK (in restoration mode), 1973 GT-750 (no longer have, looking for another)

On my 85 750, I've got a 94 USD front end off a W/C 750. I put Busa masters for the brakes and hydraulic clutch and then used a set of aftermarket adjustable shorty levers. I like them a lot and the masters look period correct but brand new.

I'm using Gilles Tooling clipons. BSully had a spare set and I gotta say I do like them. I'm using Galfer steel lines for the brakes and clutch.
awasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement