bout to panic, please help : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
crypta
Novice

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600
bout to panic, please help

I need advice. I just doing plug change on my k8 gsxr 600 and was all happy and thinking highly of suzuki for good engineering as everything was going very smoothly, no hard to remove parts etc.... well I get the the last cylinder (starboard outboard, right side) and everything comes out ok but I cant get the last plug to thread into the head. It is a little tighter maneuvering the wrench on that side but I cant see why the plug wont thrread in like the others did. I can feel it like it wants to cross thread and I back off and try again but thats as good as I can get it. Surely I didnt cross thread that plug huh? I felt it get tight that first time but imediatly backed off it. and have been effin with it for 2 hours and no luck. I was using the standard plug wrench that comes with the tool kit and it presents some angle problems but it should still be BLE TO COMPLETE THE JOB.

sO WORSE CASE SCENARIO, WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEHOW i CROSS THREADED THAT? sry caps..... Is there a beter plug wrench i can buy that might do the trick as far as eliminating the awkward angle of the toolkit plug wrench? I'd like to try that if anyone has a good tool in mind that I can go buy.

if that does not work what am i gonna do? lol I'm worried.
thanks please help meh

Last edited by crypta; 12-02-2012 at 04:18 PM.
crypta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
crypta
Novice

Re: bout to panic, please help

this is the first plug change this bike has seen. I bought it new in 08
Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
SpeederT
Loves Grammas Gum Jobs

Motorcycle: FACK, I sold my supermoto.

Well, this is just a idea. Get a piece of rubber hose that does not flex a lot and can be put over the spark plug top, spray a little WD 40 onto threads of spark plug. Then finally give it a go and see how it works, use the supplied wrench to finish things off.
SpeederT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Just get a swivel-head 5/8" spark plug socket&you will never need anything else. Now if you already cross-threaded or stripped the threads thats gonna be a bit of an issue....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (42.7 KB, 224 views)
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Ironhead401
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Just get a swivel-head 5/8" spark plug socket&you will never need anything else. Now if you already cross-threaded or stripped the threads thats gonna be a bit of an issue....
This was my suggestion. Use extensions if need too.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
crypta
Novice

thank you guys you are the best. Gave up on it for today as its dark and I got no power out in shop. I will go get that tool tomorrow thanks so much for the image. I hope it works.

So if it does not work.... what are my options? I would assume tapping it or whatever but...... I dread thinking of what that might involve.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

use some lithium grease, if the threads are messed up a bit it will help to correct the problem if you can get it screwed it properly. If not, drop the motor.
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Anti seize, 5/8 plug socket, and a 4" wobble extension and it should go in by hand. If it doesnt the threads may be damaged
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
gsxr313
Lifetime Premium

Just force it in, it'll go. (j/k. ) Good luck with it.
gsxr313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
oldgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr313 View Post
Just force it in, it'll go. (j/k. ) Good luck with it.
2lb lump hammer will do just fine
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
JSargent52
Artist formerly known as Cock Gobbler

Motorcycle: 1994 GSXR 750, finally done! Custom Paint. Rebuilt top end and carbs. Yoshi top triple and rearsets (stolen:crying).1993 GSXR 750 project to rebuild. 2003 GSXR 600 Alstare Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
2lb lump hammer will do just fine
The persuasion technique works 90% of the time all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
JSargent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Newbmitch
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR750

"ain't no thread tighter than a cross thread" I always say
Newbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
oldgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbmitch View Post
"ain't no thread tighter than a cross thread" I always say
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

Swivel spark plug socket or use a piece of rubber hose. I think I use a 3/8" fuel hose.
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

Yup, you need a swivel head and also start threading it by hand always.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
crypta
Novice

yeah I threaded all the plugs by hand but this one for some reason does nt want to play nicely. I'm thinking the very top of the threads got damaged when I felt it get tight that first time. I really dont see how though as I did not put any pressure on it at all. Hard for me to believe the cylinder head is that damn fragile. how can you strip theads by "trying to find the hole" by hand no less????? wtf.... I went and got new plug socket and tried the grease and still no luck. The new socket allows for much beter angle than that tool kit one but it is still not wanting to thread in. it gets tight then it refuses to take.

sigh so that leaves me with a nightmare doesnt it? What is my best option here? Remove head and tap it? would I be able to just remove the valve cover and tap it without removing head? problem is you cant see shit the way the engine sits in there and on that side the plug hole sits right next to the frame. I'm really stressin here. This should not be an issue. I have enough srense to not cross thread things I still dont get how this happenning. thanks for any input.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypta View Post
yeah I threaded all the plugs by hand but this one for some reason does nt want to play nicely. I'm thinking the very top of the threads got damaged when I felt it get tight that first time. I really dont see how though as I did not put any pressure on it at all. Hard for me to believe the cylinder head is that damn fragile. how can you strip theads by "trying to find the hole" by hand no less????? wtf.... I went and got new plug socket and tried the grease and still no luck. The new socket allows for much beter angle than that tool kit one but it is still not wanting to thread in. it gets tight then it refuses to take.

sigh so that leaves me with a nightmare doesnt it? What is my best option here? Remove head and tap it? would I be able to just remove the valve cover and tap it without removing head? problem is you cant see shit the way the engine sits in there and on that side the plug hole sits right next to the frame. I'm really stressin here. This should not be an issue. I have enough srense to not cross thread things I still dont get how this happenning. thanks for any input.
Drop engine. If you can't get it yo work then head has to come off.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
crypta
Novice

thanks moto joe, So drop engine is less /complicated/work than just remove head? I would have thought not but by your reply I guess I am wrong. If I drop engine, will I hafta completely seperate rest of bike from engine in order to perform work or can I do it by just lowering engine to floor? This is a major undertaking fo rme and I hate to be doing that kinda invasive work on my baby as I really dont know a whole lot and I'm afraid of something else going wrong in process, but I dont have the income means to just up and take it to shop... I bet thatd be expensive job. What? ballpark 500 bucks?... I dont have that . thi ssucks
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
LynnM
Club Racer

You may be able to thread a cleaning tap down the hole. Worth a shot It is possible to put a heli coil in the head too!!
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
crypta
Novice

myeah I was lookin at vids on all that but they about cars. and probably loads easier to do that option on car than bike. as someone else mentioned You arent 100% sure that it will tape true, trying it as it sits right now. wonder what thaty would do? if u didnt get the new tap perfectly aligned with engine spec? i would imagine power loss depending on severity of bad tap, maybe catastrophic engine fail too? how much wiggle room will engine allow when comes to that? This is why I'm stressin on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement