Rev limit problem : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
TexanGSXR
Squid

Rev limit problem

Hey everyone, I just rode my bike for the first time today after repairing it from an accident I had, when I whipped the throttle open to test everything the bike stopped reving past about 11,000 rpms. The bike didn't sound like it was hitting rev limit, just sounded like it didn't want to go past 11,000 rpms. I took it all back apart and im inspecting everything and nothing looks wrong... I dont work on a lot of bikes so I don't know exactly what everything is supposed to look like.

When I installed my throttle cable I never adjusted the slack in or anything started it and it passed all the tests that were recommended to me to try, but when I installed the cables I hit some kind of adjuster next to the throttle valve on the engine. It looks like some kind of adjuster for the throttle plates on the bike. I will upload a picture in just a minute.

Could that little adjuster cause the rev limit to be that low? or if there is any other common problem that causes a bike not to rev past a certain point. Also like I said it doesn't sound like a electronic restriction.
TexanGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
TexanGSXR
Squid

Re: Rev limit problem

here is the pic, also should the highlighted in blue be adjusted more than it is? or how do you adjust that?

The other circled thing is what I was talking about in the post above, Im not sure where that is supposed to be sitting at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike throttle.jpg (57.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
maxxedout1
Lifetime Premium

Is it a750 or 1100,the 750 revs higher then the1100.
Al
maxxedout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
TexanGSXR
Squid

my fault, its a 600, Ive personally brought the bike to 16500 before, powerband doesnt start on the bike till like 11 top of it is at 13 if i remember right so its not really even hitting power band.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

The blue part is the throttle cables. They need to be adjusted to snug, where there is only a mm or two slack in the throttle tube.

the orange part is the fast idle. It is a "choke" for lack of a better term
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
TexanGSXR
Squid

thank you again moto, where should this be adjusted to? Also do you have a possible explanation for the rev limit problem? I do have a FI light on... c28, but I had the same FI light before I had this accident and it was riding fine before I wrecked.

Edit: After I did some research the code C28 is a common problem among 2004-05 GSXR 600's I noticed when I took the bike apart for the first time the STVA was disconnected for some reason and I wondered why. Now I found that this could be the reason the bike is not going over 11k rpms, and the previous owner probably unhooked it to override the sensor.

Last edited by TexanGSXR; 12-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Moto_Joe

Where should what be adjusted to? The fast idle? It is probably fine. It is closed in that photo as it should be unless the bike is warming up.

I have no clue on the rev limit issue. I would say a c28 is a likely culprit though, and something you likely want to remedy regardless.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

Looks like you've removed the STVA and reinstalled it in the wrong position. That cam is not in a position that should even be possible.

1) Remove the STVA.
2) Use a small flat blade scredriver. Insert it about 1/4" into the STVA and turn clockwise until it stops.
3) Turn that cam (circled in orange) to the position indicated below.
4) Reinstall the STVA and hope your STPS hasn't been damaged by the improper install.

untitled.JPG
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

When you're done, you should only be able to turn this cam 90 degrees counter clockwise from this position before it stops.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Oh, and judging by the hole that's been drilled in the cam, I'm guessing that bike had the C28 error and the owner of the bike bought the "STVA no power solution" for $15 on ebay which consisted of a drillbit and a spring to hold the STVA fully open.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Oh, and judging by the hole that's been drilled in the cam, I'm guessing that bike had the C28 error and the owner of the bike bought the "STVA no power solution" for $15 on ebay which consisted of a drillbit and a spring to hold the STVA fully open.
oh wow...

well if you're not going to have the STVA fully functioning, I'm assuming you could just wire in a couple resistors to get the C28 to come off? Although if I'm not mistaken having the STVs fully open for an extended period of time is going to cause some carbon build up in the cylinder head and maybe some other damage, no?

Last edited by kevin.g; 12-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
tomzilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 600, 01 hd fxdl, 03 buell blast(for funzies)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
oh wow...

well if you're not going to have the STVA fully functioning, I'm assuming you could just wire in a couple resistors to get the C28 to come off? Although if I'm not mistaken having the STVs fully open for an extended period of time is going to cause some carbon build up in the cylinder head and maybe some other damage, no?
It shouldn't cause any problems as many people have run their bikes like that with no problems. Look up how to disable it and what wire to pull from the ecu. Also, check that your kick stand switch isn't bad. Mine was doing the same thing. Disabled that and no problems anymore.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.
tomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
kevin.g
Club Racer

I ran my bike with the STVs fully open and unplugged the STVA for about 50 miles until I had the time to drill it open and resolder it... I was just thinking that the STVA is supposed to have like .8Ω or something across the coil right? so why not wire a resistor into the circuit to get the FI light to go off permanently or at least until you fix the STVA ? if that makes sense...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzilla View Post
It shouldn't cause any problems as many people have run their bikes like that with no problems. Look up how to disable it and what wire to pull from the ecu. Also, check that your kick stand switch isn't bad. Mine was doing the same thing. Disabled that and no problems anymore.

Jumping out kick stand switch is a terrible idea.

Doing so has caused tons of pretty bad crashes when someone forgets to put stand up and hits it at speed making a left turn.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
tomzilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 600, 01 hd fxdl, 03 buell blast(for funzies)
I can see that happening. I haven't forgot yet, but I also have a sticker on my dash that days to put it up lol.

tomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Quote:
oh wow...

Resistors will still cause an FI code. Most likely both C28 and C29. C28 tests the actuator directly. But, if the ECU tells it to move and the STPS does not show this movement, it will think something is wrong with one of those parts. So, the ignorant run their bike this way and spend hundreds of velocity stacks and other shit, but as long as that FI error exists, the bike is in failsafe mode and will not run optimally. In this mode, it ignores air temp and pressure and uses static valuse. So unless you happen to be riding in those exact climate values, your bike is not going to run optimally.

Quote:
I ran my bike with the STVs fully open and unplugged the STVA for about 50 miles until I had the time to drill it open and resolder it... I was just thinking that the STVA is supposed to have like .8Ω or something across the coil right? so why not wire a resistor into the circuit to get the FI light to go off permanently or at least until you fix the STVA ? if that makes sense...
As previously stated, the SDTV is an active feedback system. Even if you trick it out and make it think the STVA is fine, the STPS is not giving it the values it expects and will throw an error.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" - Diemon Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
kevin.g
Club Racer

ah... well fuck me lol thanks geek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement