Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Sackos
Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR-1000 K7
Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run

Hi there fellow bikers, this weekend in New Zealand 5 Motorcyclists were killed on our road including 2 that were riding for an Annual Charity toy run for needy kids.
They were needlesly killed by young idiots who over took cars on a blind corner killing 2 and injuring 4 others that were participating in the event ride.

My heart goes out to the familys of those killed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10851589

Please be careful out there guys.
God Bless & take care.
Sackos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Re: Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run

Although tragic and sad, I don't feel this post is appropriate in this forum. If you look at other posts, they are about close friends and family who passed. It does not appear that you personally knew any of these riders so I am going to move this elsewhere.

Forum description: In Memory of Mike Donaghy AKA MPDgsxr1000 - Please use this forum to commemorate your fallen friends.
Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

It's bloody terrible. The 7 people in the van were going to a "skids" event. Other people that passed the van said it was moving very erratically.

And I actually think it is 7 deaths over the last week or so. I'm quite stunned really.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8026...-mess-of-bikes

Plus there was a 20 year old Chinese visitor who killed 2 bikers and left another one in a critical condition over the Lindis Pass. No details, but she is being charged with 2 counts of careless driving causing death.

It certainly makes me step back and have a think about road riding in general. I can see why many riders give up the road and just hammer the tracks.
1998 GSXR 750: Full Titanium Yoshimura Tri Oval exhaust, K&N Filter, A.P.E MCCT, Factory Pro case covers, Goodridge Braided Steel Lines, K7 Radial Master Cyl, FP Levers, Yoshimura Billet Pillion pegs.

To do: Power Commander, Suspension work...
Minibull is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Very sad. It does make one wonder about riding on the street. My condolences to the families.

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Sackos
Novice

Point taken, Still new to this but I thought I placed this in the forum heading for "fallen riders" sorry bout that, My apologies if I have upset you or others out there.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Sackos; 12-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

On the roads today you just never know when your number is up. I cannot believe what kind of people are given driving licenses.
Ill be getting a helmet cam soon just to record the stupid things I see every day on the way to work.
My condolences to the families of those riders.
dLegend82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
oldfart01
Loves Ass Raping OG!!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post
It's bloody terrible. The 7 people in the van were going to a "skids" event. Other people that passed the van said it was moving very erratically.

And I actually think it is 7 deaths over the last week or so. I'm quite stunned really.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8026...-mess-of-bikes

It certainly makes me step back and have a think about road riding in general. I can see why many riders give up the road and just hammer the tracks.
What's a skids event??
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLegend82 View Post
On the roads today you just never know when your number is up. I cannot believe what kind of people are given driving licenses.
Ill be getting a helmet cam soon just to record the stupid things I see every day on the way to work.
My condolences to the families of those riders.
It is baffling the things people do on the road...bad driving habits or just shouldn't be operating a moving vehicle.

If you do get the camera, you'll probably have too much evidence to post.

Condolences again to the families/friends of those affected.

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Minibull

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
What's a skids event??
Boyracer (do you use that word?) gathering, doing skids and general hooligan stuff. They usually gather in the country on a quiet bit of road and leave the road black with skidmarks

Its what I first thought of when I saw the pic of the van in the crash. Big rims, low ride height and a farty exhaust.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
oldfart01
Loves Ass Raping OG!!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibull View Post
Boyracer (do you use that word?) gathering, doing skids and general hooligan stuff. They usually gather in the country on a quiet bit of road and leave the road black with skidmarks

Its what I first thought of when I saw the pic of the van in the crash. Big rims, low ride height and a farty exhaust.
OK, we have that dopey crap too. Many people call them ricers, but I had an Asian guy all pissed off at me for using that term on a Porsche forum. The regulars there told him to chill the fuck out.
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
8you4t
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

tragic mate ... just never know when or where bad shits going to happen !!!!
8you4t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
tragic mate ... just never know when or where bad shits going to happen !!!!
Which is exactly why when you see someone riding or driving erratically, you hang way back, and watch it play out. It looks like this was another totally avoidable accident where riders had terrible judgement. Never mind what the stupid van did, it seems like the the poor riders were just as stupid.

One side of me has sympathy for those involved in this terrible outcome, and the other more objective side sees plenty of fault on the riders part.
Zippysport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Sackos
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippysport View Post
Which is exactly why when you see someone riding or driving erratically, you hang way back, and watch it play out. It looks like this was another totally avoidable accident where riders had terrible judgement. Never mind what the stupid van did, it seems like the the poor riders were just as stupid.

One side of me has sympathy for those involved in this terrible outcome, and the other more objective side sees plenty of fault on the riders part.
What the hell do you mean "the poor riders were just stupid" they were perfectly correct on there side of the road, the van was over taking on a corner therefore ending up on the otherside of the road where the bikers never even saw it coming. They never had a chance because the vans stupid driver made a stupid decision. Read the story properly bud.

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Sackos; 12-03-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
gixxerbaxter
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600

Quote:

it's their fault because they decided to go ride that day?

gixxerbaxter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Minibull

Quote:

What the heck?? Yeah, clearly their fault...I have no idea how you came to that conclusion

It seems to be fairly common here, drivers on the wrong side of the road. I know they have a lot of trouble with tourists, so much so that around here, they are just covering the roads with direction arrows to make sure they stay left.
I would assume thats what happened with those 3 other riders and the Chinese girl. Wrong side of the road, take out 2 bikes.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

Quote:

That is a bit silly of you.
Are we all then stupid for using the roads every day at the same time as some incompetent idiots do as well?
I mean I can see incompetent drivers every day I commute. Yes I take special care when near them, but you can not always detect one.
dLegend82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #17
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

What I'm saying is that being legallly in the right does not keep you safe at all. You need to go way beyond that and look out for yourself. If you ride a motorcycle, and think that because you were on the correct side of the road, or the light was green for you, everything will be alright, you are a fool.

Yes, it is a non-standard thing to have to deal with, but you should stay ready to do it. Unless you want to just give up and let stuff happen because it was "Your time to go". There are many who don't want to think that hard, or work that hard when they ride. To me, you can't stay safe decade after decade without setting the standards high. Other drivers and riders do wrong, clumsy, dumb, and illegal manuvers regularly. People only follow the rules by choice, and can veer out of a lane at any time. There is nothing but custom that keeps every oncoming car from drlving right into you. A driver has a stroke, gets distracted on their phone, argues with the kids in the back seat, or whatever, and drives right into you. And then you are dead because you didn't account for that. I do account for that, as much as I can. I think that a lot of riders don't. I do have that higher standard for myself.

If you don't want to have that higher standard, you might not be ready when the weird happens. I know that nothing and no one is perfect, but when I ride, I try to be. I've been riding sport bikes for 30+ years, including a decade lane splitting freeways into downtown L.A. I've also spent more that 100 days at the track, going a 65 day stretch without a crash. When I did crash, it was a mechanical issue where the front brakes locked up. That was still my fault for not doing a more thorough inspection than I did. All the while, others running at similar or slower speeds are getting maybe 5 days between crashes. I can't tell you how many downed riders or spinning bikes I've dodged. It seems that they drop like flies, some days. Then they blame it on cold tires, or wet track or whatever, instead of blaming themselves for clumsy input or not judging the available traction properly.

I put more in, and I get more out. I always say to myself, what would I do if a driver crosses the line? What if they run that red light? What if this guy I'm about to pass bins it?

I know full well that there are no sure bets, and that there could actually be something out of your control that happens to you, but you can very greatly reduce the likelyhood of one of these events catching you out if you are ready for it.

Bikes are dangerous, and you really have no protection greater than your own wits. No matter what the rules say, or the law says, you have the ulitimate responsibility for what happens to you. Give it up to "fate" or don't. You choose.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #18
Minibull

Quote:
What I'm saying is that being legallly in the right does not keep you safe at all.
That's not what you were saying at all. And yes, you would have to be thick as pigshit to think that you will be fine if you follow the law. Holy shit man...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #19
Zippysport
Lifetime Premium

You can give those dead guys the benefit of the doubt if you want. I prefer to assume there was more they could have done, and they didn't do it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Minibull

Quote:
You can give those dead guys the benefit of the doubt if you want. I prefer to assume there was more they could have done, and they didn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in