F1 vs nascar - Page 3 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Anything Goes

Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600
Re: F1 vs nascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Im the exact opposite I guess I find NO enjoyment watching F1 80% of the race is done in a single file, while nascar is constantly 2-3 wide and jostling for position all at 150+ while turning left!!!
Thats what I was referring to with the overtaking. And how exiciting is a race where 80% of the starting grid doesnt stand a chance. And through the whole race or an entire season, it seems its really all about 4 maybe 5 teams. The rest dont matter. But that aside F1 still has a unique appeal, one greater than nascar.

tlee2989 if you want to see some real F1, go to youtube and watch some clips of anything 90s and older. 95 and back really. But definitely no later than 03.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #42
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
I used to love watching the Speedvision/Speed/SCCA World Challenge. So exciting.

In 1997 ish, it might have been another channel, I watched an Oldsmobile Achieva win a road race over the Integra Type R. It was amazing. Come to think of it, GM's quad 4 was pretty amazing, and so was the Type R.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

i watched a show last night jesse james outlaw garage and he took a nascar chopped the top and made it and open wheeled "f1" themed type racer for the track in austin. it was pretty neat IMO
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #44
plopes
Squid

I am a fan of F1 purely from a technical point of view, those guys have the best engineers, production facilities and designers in the world.
But the ultimate form of motorsport ever has to be the Group B rally era.
Crazy cars and even crazier drivers that were all eventually banned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group-b-rally-cars-the-killer-b-s-medium_10.jpg (230.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 1986PeugeotSalonenR1.jpg (199.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_mdbfc22xNo1qe3axro1_1280.jpg (56.2 KB, 143 views)
plopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #45
performula
Function over F0RM

I found this article by accident today.

If your team scores tenth place overall, in F1 for the year, the team's payout is about $50,000,000. Not bad for tenth place.

http://theaustinmotorclub.com/how-the-f1-pie-is-shared/
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #46
nitrous36

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
I found this article by accident today.

If your team scores tenth place overall, in F1 for the year, the team's payout is about $50,000,000. Not bad for tenth place.

http://theaustinmotorclub.com/how-the-f1-pie-is-shared/
Good read. Thanks for sharing that. So in a way even the losers win a little something something. Even if a little something something is 50 mil in F1 money. I always thought anyone finishing off pole, 7th and below got nothing.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #47
performula
Function over F0RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Good read. Thanks for sharing that. So in a way even the losers win a little something something. Even if a little something something is 50 mil in F1 money. I always thought anyone finishing off pole, 7th and below got nothing.
Right from the start, Ferrari gets a percentage, no matter what. I think that's wrong. Especially if they are trying to make the sport "competitive." Ferrari gets roughly $20mil automatically for the year, just for being Ferrari.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #48
98srad6
gixxersixxerman

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR 750

I've tried many times watching the F1 races.. While I understand the technology that's in those cars.. If given the choice I'd still watch NASCAR.. I was never a fan until I was dragged to some races.. I've been a fan since.. The bumping and banging and three or four wide racing is exciting to me... In F1 if you "over take" aggressive then you get a drive thru.. Wtf.. Is it racing or not... People that are into NASCAR knows its more then just turning left.. It's all about being into the sport... I'm not a fan of baseball or basketball.. To me one stands there and hits a ball to the outfielder over and over and the other just runs down the court to get fouled and shoot a free throw.. I know there is more to both sports.. But I don't care for them and that's what I see

Also the nationwide races have ran in the rain.. They can run a road course in the rain.. It's the ovals where the tire would not work.. The new bodies for the new 2013 cars look really really close to the actual cars..

Yosh. frame sliders, fender eleminator, swingarm spools. Crg levers, Piaa lights, Akrapovic full exhaust, Bazzaz ZFI-QS, Z-AFM, Zero Gravity corsa windscreen, BMC filter, 16t front sprocket, Stomp grip pads, Spiegler black lines, Carbone SBK5 pads, D3 Grips, Coolest mod.... the Motomummy reservoir sock
98srad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #49
performula
Function over F0RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98srad6 View Post
I've tried many times watching the F1 races.. While I understand the technology that's in those cars.. If given the choice I'd still watch NASCAR.. I was never a fan until I was dragged to some races.. I've been a fan since.. The bumping and banging and three or four wide racing is exciting to me... In F1 if you "over take" aggressive then you get a drive thru.. Wtf.. Is it racing or not... People that are into NASCAR knows its more then just turning left.. It's all about being into the sport... I'm not a fan of baseball or basketball.. To me one stands there and hits a ball to the outfielder over and over and the other just runs down the court to get fouled and shoot a free throw.. I know there is more to both sports.. But I don't care for them and that's what I see

Also the nationwide races have ran in the rain.. They can run a road course in the rain.. It's the ovals where the tire would not work.. The new bodies for the new 2013 cars look really really close to the actual cars..
My father once said, "Have Michael Schumacher and Dale Earnhardt switch cars - then see what happens."

I was being critical of the oval layout. He was a road race fan as well, but he made a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #50
98srad6
gixxersixxerman

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR 750

Quote:
My father once said, "Have Michael Schumacher and Dale Earnhardt switch cars - then see what happens."

I was being critical of the oval layout. He was a road race fan as well, but he made a good point.

Hahaha to think of that.... Dale wouldn't get past the first lap lol.. Car breaks up to much when bumping someone out of the way lol... My favorite races are the road courses
98srad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #51
wicked86gsxr
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki DRZ SM, 1987 YSR 50, SDG pitbike, kids dirtbikes

I prefer NASCAR and I agree w/ SRAD the roadcourses are the best. For me last years final race for Champion between Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards was the Super Bowl, game 7 of the Stanley Cup, or game 7 of the World Series all rolled into one. I use to watch ever single race but now I just DVR it and scan through. I do watch both road course races, the Saturday night races and most of the Chase races.
Back in the day they really were stock cars. Doors opened and closed, no rollbars etc. You could drive them to the track, race, and then drive home if the car was still drivable. Hell, they even raced convertibles back in the 50's
wicked86gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #52
Sleeper_750
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1999 750
F1 over nascar anyday! watching the dvr'd brazil race right now as a matter of fact. Where is that nascar rain meme when you need it?
Sleeper_750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #53
ExpatJohnny
Back Marker

Quote:

You bring up a good point here! Not sure if it has been done yet or not, but it would be interesting to watch.

Closest thing I've seen was on the Top Gear show for the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car scenes. I always found it funny that the fastest Leader Board Times over the years were from, a professional motorcycle racer, a star that club raced as a hobby, and a couple stars that just preferred riding bikes.

I would imagine Schumacher, whom conspiracy theorists say may have been the Stig for a while, would do just fine in a stock car. The stock car driver in the F1 car however,
ExpatJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #54
Cassidy
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Quote:

Tony Stewart
Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #55
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatJohnny View Post
You bring up a good point here! Not sure if it has been done yet or not, but it would be interesting to watch.

Closest thing I've seen was on the Top Gear show for the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car scenes. I always found it funny that the fastest Leader Board Times over the years were from, a professional motorcycle racer, a star that club raced as a hobby, and a couple stars that just preferred riding bikes.

I would imagine Schumacher, whom conspiracy theorists say may have been the Stig for a while, would do just fine in a stock car. The stock car driver in the F1 car however,
They had the F1 racers on a separate board all by them selves . From Wikipidia

F1 drivers

All Formula One drivers are put into their own list with regard to lap times because of their exceptional skill level. When the Liana was pulled out from retirement to allow Jenson Button to make a time, Clarkson noted that the Liana would be pulled out for use by Formula 1 drivers in the future.

The original 'black' Stig and the first 'white' Stig have done laps around the track in the Suzuki Liana. Both had their times removed from the leaderboard upon their departure.

The first Stig was Perry McCarthy, who once test drove for the Williams F1 team, and drove for the ill-fated Andrea Moda Formula One team.[36] The second Stig was Ben Collins; in the first episode of Series 13 the Stig was "revealed" to be Michael Schumacher, although this was a joke in the vein of the rest of his appearance on the show.

On 6 July 2011, Sebastian Vettel managed to top the board with a time of 1:44.0. Vettel's lap was the first time someone taking a 'Formula One drivers' line through the first corner was able to top The Stig's time, as Rubens Barrichello took the tighter line. Jeremy also mentioned on this episode that the current Stig has yet to do a lap of the track in the Liana, therefore there is currently no time on the board for the Stig.

The times and details of the F1 drivers' laps are as follows:
No. Driver Time Series Episode Notes
1 Sebastian Vettel 1:44.0 17 3
2 Rubens Barrichello 1:44.3 15 3
3 Ben Collins 1:44.4 The Stig II. (Removed from the board during interview with Vettel.)
4 Nigel Mansell 1:44.6 7 5
5 Lewis Hamilton 1:44.7 10 8 Wet & oily.
6 Jenson Button 1:44.7 8 8 Hot.
7 Jenson Button 1:44.9 14 5 Falling snow.
8 Perry McCarthy 1:46.0 The Stig I. (Not listed on the board.)
9 Kimi Räikkönen 1:46.1 18 7 Very wet.
10 Damon Hill 1:46.3 6 5
11 Mark Webber 1:47.1 6 10 Extremely wet.
12 Michael Schumacher DNF 13 1 Got lost at Hammerhead, and car was not seen again.[37]

"Well hopefully its something as simple as reversing the shift linkage, we'll probably never know. He's probably out side slapping puppies and kittens bout now. "
coopgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #56
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Quote:
Tony Stewart
Tony raced open wheel cars for years before moving to Nascrap not sure he's a good comparison for Earnhardt .

Tony Stewart at the wheel . Watkins Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0044.jpg (58.4 KB, 80 views)
coopgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #57
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

F1 has become too soft and over regulated. They need to go back to how it used to be. This is one of my favorite youtube vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._6mA8Q2tI#t=0s
dLegend82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #58
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLegend82 View Post
F1 has become too soft and over regulated. They need to go back to how it used to be. This is one of my favorite youtube vids.

Sooooo...atm if I'm not mistaken, they have no driver aids...and you can see them sliding and slipping round like the SBK and GP guys are...and the 2012 season was pretty damn good racing really...

Not sure if your monitor is rose tinted but yeah.
Minibull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #59
performula
Function over F0RM

Quote:
Tony Stewart
No, that's not fair, lol, they both can't have any other league/racing style experience.

I do like him, he's my favorite of them all, because of the broad racing experience.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #60
nitrous36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLegend82 View Post

The days of Gilles Villeneuve.

Commentator said, "You'd think they had stock cars out there the way theyre leaning on each other"

In todays F1 there is little of no contact at all. Even a clean over take is frowned upon if done to aggressively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement