How much different are AMA racing bikes to there production version? - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600
Re: How much different are AMA racing bikes to there production version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
With you riding it??
The same way it will against a MotoGP bike.

With Scott Russel riding it??
better than you could ever ride it.
Right, with a super talented rider on it. But negating the riders, how do the BIKES compare. Or if you must, assume that the people riding them are equal.

Thanks but that didnt answer my question.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
njracer
Crusty Old Admin

Motorcycle: njracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Oh didnt know that changed. How would my k4 compare to a old ama bike of the 90s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Right, with a super talented rider on it. But negating the riders, how do the BIKES compare. Or if you must, assume that the people riding them are equal.

Thanks but that didnt answer my question.
The 90's superbikes were all 750's and a few 1000cc V-Twins probably putting out 150hp max. Your 600 would not have a chance unless you were racing at a place Loudon, NH which is NOT a superbike track and HP does not really matter that much there.

Now if you are talking about a post 2000 750, you might have a chance keeping up with and possibly beating a 90's AMA superbike.

IMO, I think a current 1000 would smack the shit out of a 90's AMA superbike.
njracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
nitrous36
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by njracer View Post
The 90's superbikes were all 750's and a few 1000cc V-Twins probably putting out 150hp max. Your 600 would not have a chance unless you were racing at a place Loudon, NH which is NOT a superbike track and HP does not really matter that much there.

Now if you are talking about a post 2000 750, you might have a chance keeping up with and possibly beating a 90's AMA superbike.

IMO, I think a current 1000 would smack the shit out of a 90's AMA superbike.
Got it.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
ccmhunt
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 96 GSXR750 (parts), ZX7/9RR F-USA AMA SBK, 96 ZX7RR STREET, 96 WSBK ECKL ZX7RR

Still, nothing is compares to the exoticism of the 90's superbike and the all out, no expense development and raw look. The silky sound of zxrr gear driven cams and rattling of dry clutches, the whine of Commonwealth rc30, or the sound of Dutchman racing Fzr/owo1 hybrid at the end of a long season.
ccmhunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
squale147
no rest for the wicked

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR-1000((sold)),2008 GSXR-750,((sold)) 2009 GSX-1300R Hayabusa 1992 CBR-600F2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmhunt View Post
Still, nothing is compares to the exoticism of the 90's superbike and the all out, no expense development and raw look. The silky sound of zxrr gear driven cams and rattling of dry clutches, the whine of Commonwealth rc30, or the sound of Dutchman racing Fzr/owo1 hybrid at the end of a long season.
i remember those days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casoli_bike.jpg (55.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg russel_1993a.jpg (79.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 17scx.jpg (137.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg nagai_bike.jpg (31.7 KB, 105 views)
squale147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
TOEJAM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel

Motorcycle: 06 R1 Raven; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; '14 Honda Grom

Back to back weekends, same tires, same track, same conditions...Ohlins suspension, Attack triple clamps, GMD Computrak setup and BST wheels gained me 1.8sec per lap.

I'm not going to get into the whole "Spies could have went faster on your stock bike" discussion. When Spies rides my bike, then we will discuss it. What somebody else could do on my bike doesn't mean shit.

With that being said, I could go faster now on that stock bike because I am a much better rider now. Proper instruction and seat time goes a long way.

For 99% of Sportbike riders, equipment isn't the issue... lack of talent/experience/knowledge/skills are the issues. However, you can reach a point where equipment matters.

Much of what goes into a $200-500k AMA bike budget isn't hard parts, it is software, engineers and other types of support.
WERA Expert #2
Chaotic Racing
STT Southern Region/Speed Academy Instructor
Sponsors = SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Livengood Motorsports - Bell Helmets - Knox Armour

Last edited by TOEJAM; 11-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.
TOEJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
BaliinTL
Rookie

Okay opposite question, what parts are the same as whats on the production bike from the a race bike? (least modified race bike)
BaliinTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliinTL View Post
Okay opposite question, what parts are the same as whats on the production bike from the a race bike? (least modified race bike)
Ama bike? Almost all of it. But like the engine is "blue printed" and the head will be "perfected" or modified for.more power

So the entire engine is stock parts basically, but modified for more power . Frame. Throttle bodies. Tank. Fork tubes. Wheels. Rotors. Calipers. Brake master cylinders. Swing arm. Electronics are stock I think but piggy back fuel controllers are allowed.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
njracer
Crusty Old Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Ama bike? Almost all of it. But like the engine is "blue printed" and the head will be "perfected" or modified for.more power

So the entire engine is stock parts basically, but modified for more power . Frame. Throttle bodies. Tank. Fork tubes. Wheels. Rotors. Calipers. Brake master cylinders. Swing arm. Electronics are stock I think but piggy back fuel controllers are allowed.
And the 90's bikes were just the opposite of that. The only thing stock was the frame and the engine cases. Everything else could be modified or replaced. And some teams even skirted the cases rules by melting down the cases and making their own cases out of the OEM material.

The 90's were also a great time for exotic parts and bikes. The Muzzy gear driven ZX7's, Honda RC30/45's, Yamaha R7's, billet swingarms, mega expensive billet crank shafts, Ti con rods. hand hammered aluminum gas tanks and even a short stint of carbon brakes.

Calvin, 1993 to 2007, I will miss you my friend and will never forget you.....RIP big guy.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
Moto_Joe

Even teh early 2000s superbikes were about like you say I think. Engine cases, and a modified OEM frame was all that remained just about besides the basic LOOK of the OEM bike. Basically location of all the part was the same, mostly.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
njracer
Crusty Old Admin

Quote:
Even teh early 2000s superbikes were about like you say I think. Engine cases, and a modified OEM frame was all that remained just about besides the basic LOOK of the OEM bike. Basically location of all the part was the same, mostly.
Yes, the 2000ish bikes were the last of the full blown superbikes. You could buy a RC51 basic racer from Honda for something like $20K....however, you needed to also buy the HRC kit for $100k to make it somewhat competitive. Even with the HRC kit, it was no match for the factory RC51. If you wanted the same bike Team Honda and Erion were racing, you needed a great connection at Honda/HRC and one million dollars per bike to lease one for the season. The R7 was almost the same deal.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

Motorcycle: K9 600

Just a cool million? Fuck, why didn't everyone have one!
Mr. Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #33
Moto_Joe

I was thinking it was basically that way or close to it up until like 2006? Which is when Mladin basically said they stopped racing superbikes, and started racing streetbikes.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #34
TOEJAM

Motorcycle: 06 R1 Raven; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; '14 Honda Grom

Quote:

Depends on the class.

AMA SS, yes...most of those items will be stock (but Kit engine parts are allowed).

DSB - Electronics are allowed. Marelli Dash, the whole 9 yards. Master cylinders are allowed.

AMA SBK - All of those items will either be aftermarket or modified, including the gas tank (Aluminum). Frame and swingarm will be stock, but braced/modified. Fork tubes are stock, but wheels/rotors/calipers will be aftermarket.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #35
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
Depends on the class.

AMA SS, yes...most of those items will be stock (but Kit engine parts are allowed).

DSB - Electronics are allowed. Marelli Dash, the whole 9 yards. Master cylinders are allowed.

AMA SBK - All of those items will either be aftermarket or modified, including the gas tank (Aluminum). Frame and swingarm will be stock, but braced/modified. Fork tubes are stock, but wheels/rotors/calipers will be aftermarket.
He said the least modified class

Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #36
TOEJAM

Oh, my bad. He said that at the end of his post. I didnt read that far.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Oh, my bad. He said that at the end of his post. I didnt read that far.
Shocking. Lol
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #38
TOEJAM

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
njracer
Crusty Old Admin

Quote:
I didnt read that far.

I have nothing to say except.......

{{{Squirrel!!!}}}
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
TOEJAM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement