Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

So, I am tired of seeing these threads. It is scary

Do not buy cheap ebay brake levers people!!!!

Especially the ones that look like Pazzos and CRGs and the like.

They may make your brakes lock up while riding, and cause a crash. They do so any of three ways.

Most common, the guide hole where the master cylinder plunger sits is too shallow. This holds the brakes on ever so slightly constantly. This causes the brake fluid temps to rise, and the pads to over heat, to the point everything swells and locks up.

Another way they do it is some of them either dont have a pivot bushing at all, or the pivot bushing hole is the wrong size. The hole where the pivot bolt goes galls up over time, and the lever begins to stick, causing the same issue as above

And thirdly, they use crappy billet alluminum. No, Not all billet is the same quality. Often their has voids and flaws in it, or it is not even billet at all but rather a cheap casting. These cheap materials often break or crack at the pivot, and can cause the lever to fall off completely during normal use, or jam and lock up the brakes. Sometimes they break at the adjuster, sometimes in the middle

Here are just the few threads I can find quickly about it if you dont believe me. I am sure there are more.

I often wonder how many people have DIED!!!! because their brakes locked up on the freeway or something, but they were not around to tell anyone what caused it.

Please. Stop. Dont buy them.

If you cant afford quality aftermarket levers, get quality OEM replacements. Lockhart Phillips sells some. Motion Pro sells some. I am sure there are others. DO NOT get the cheap ebay levers. Please.

1: Post 14 http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

2: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

3:Post ten is an installation issue, but similar http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

4: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

5: post 30 http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

6: post 5 http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

7: Same issue, caused by simply wrong lever installed http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking leading to this thread on another forum http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r...ng-brakes.html

8:http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292738

9: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271894

10: some accounts in here http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

11: post 3 http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

12: post 5 http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...brakes+locking

13: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...782&highlight=

Ok.......... enough. I am tired of searching. That is only halfway through page 3, of a search result that has 5 pages. And that is mostly only on THIS ONE FORUM, let alone other forums out there that people are not members of this one. And that is only with the proper spelling of "Brake" and not searching "break" which I am sure I could find many more as well.

Do not buy cheap chinese levers!!!!!!

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Last edited by Moto_Joe; 06-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2
Re: Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Needs to be a sticky.
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
nycrider
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 08 R6 Track
Re: Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

My thread is # 13 on that list.One of the biggest mistakes I have made since I started riding was buying knock off levers.It could have ended tragically for me,I was lucky that it didn't and I think only because my lock up was gradual.All that for some bullshit savings on a pair of levers.Never again.
nycrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Bourgeois
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K7 750 / 08 Ninja 250 / 02 CRF 450 / 86 Yamaha Radian

One time I was contemplating what levers to put on my race bike and John Ulrich just looked at me and quickly said, "Why?" Of course I thought they looked cool and adjust easily but it's really not necessary. Unless you need to be able to adjust your brake lever on the fly like in a race then just use the stock levers. If you look at an M4 bike you'll notice a stock clutch lever and an Accosato brake lever because they actually require the adjustable brake lever.

Now I know that won't stop street riders from having the coolest race gear on their bike but you should know it's really not that cool. Just keep the stockers.
Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Moto_Joe

I do like that the after markets are more adjustable (mostly brake side), but mostly I have them because the shorties crash better. Less apt to break, so more apt to be able to continue your race

But I ran stock levers for a LONG time, probably up until late 2010
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Bourgeois
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
I do like that the after markets are more adjustable (mostly brake side), but mostly I have them because the shorties crash better. Less apt to break, so more apt to be able to continue your race

But I ran stock levers for a LONG time, probably up until late 2010
The crashing part is true for continuing a race but you could replace a lot of stock levers for the cost of aftermarket especially with everyone ditching their stock levers for aftermarket. You should have seen the stock brake lever we rode with in the endurance race at Miller last year after the SV tipped over in the pits.

My main point is for the street riders who are the ones buying these shit levers. You don't need adjustable and it's not going to make me think you know how to ride.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Moto_Joe

I didnt pay for mine , that is pretty much the only reason I have them . I was a test pilot

But yeah, I had several sets of stock levers just given to me as spares I used for a long time before I got the shorties.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

I had the problem with ASVs. The barrel wasn't deep enough to allow the piston to fully return. I had to drill mine about another 1/16" deep to allow for full return of the piston.

Cheap levers it's more common, but it can happen anytime. Just know what the fuck you're doing. Even bolt-on parts don't always just bolt-on.
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Pro-Lux-Racing
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: A Gixxah!

For sure it gets very old with the same old posts about this subject. People buy knock off chinese junk and then wonder why shit don't work right. DUH
Pro-Lux-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgeois View Post
The crashing part is true for continuing a race but you could replace a lot of stock levers for the cost of aftermarket especially with everyone ditching their stock levers for aftermarket. You should have seen the stock brake lever we rode with in the endurance race at Miller last year after the SV tipped over in the pits.

My main point is for the street riders who are the ones buying these shit levers. You don't need adjustable and it's not going to make me think you know how to ride.
got my pazzos for the same price as it would cost to replace both OEM levers, and now my OEMs are the spares. no doubt in my mind that i would have had to replace the brake lever after my last high-speed dismount if it was OEM, so i am ahead of the game. the shorties are just more comfy for me, especially with hard braking and simultaneous blipping.

i replaced my street levers because a black lever looks a hell of a lot more sexy than polished aluminum.
MacBayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
Bourgeois
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
got my pazzos for the same price as it would cost to replace both OEM levers, and now my OEMs are the spares. no doubt in my mind that i would have had to replace the brake lever after my last high-speed dismount if it was OEM, so i am ahead of the game. the shorties are just more comfy for me, especially with hard braking and simultaneous blipping.

i replaced my street levers because a black lever looks a hell of a lot more sexy than polished aluminum.
If you're paying retail prices then they're expensive. Used levers are a dime a dozen. I think I have a few laying around.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

I would rather buy the levers new. I know I have seen Chinese knock-off Brembo, even with Brembo logos on the parts.
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Bourgeois
Club Racer

My whole point was you don't have to go buy aftermarket levers. Your stock levers are fine. Unless the stock levers are damaged just leave them on. There's obviously enough of a demand for China to start pumping out these shitty levers and everyone thinks they need to get some colored adjustable levers because they're cool.

So instead of buying something of quality they buy Chinese because they feel they need aftermarket and don't want to spend the money. Stock levers work perfectly fine. Especially for the street.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
KINGFABIAN
Rookie

Good warning ...Ive been eyeing some on ebay and never considered this. Is it the same situation with rearsets?
KINGFABIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Moto_Joe

Re: Re: Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGFABIAN View Post
Good warning ...Ive been eyeing some on ebay and never considered this. Is it the same situation with rearsets?
A lot less likely to have a failure like locking up but they could break due to shit metal I would guess
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Re: Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
A lot less likely to have a failure like locking up but they could break due to shit metal I would guess
And the pivots will wear faster, making them jiggly
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Moto_Joe

very true.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

...which will eventually cause a lot of missed shifts - I have ridden a few bikes with El Cheapo rearsets and it's not recommendable. Also, the anodizing (or paint in some cases) will wear faster than with quality parts.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
COMEBACK
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: K5 & 07 750 race bikes and 08 Honda CBR1000RR

Great post MJ.

I saw James Toseland's SBK Honda at Phillip Island with a standard clutch lever and then revised my thoughts on aftermarket levers.....although my CRG clutch is a very nice one.
COMEBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
Moto_Joe

Re: Re: Brakes locking up when riding? New LEVERS? Read here PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMEBACK View Post
Great post MJ.

I saw James Toseland's SBK Honda at Phillip Island with a standard clutch lever and then revised my thoughts on aftermarket levers.....although my CRG clutch is a very nice one.
I used to prefer OEM levers as well. I have since changed my braking technique and prefer a short.lever. I also run them pretty close. It is a bit odd but it is an easy second per lap for me... the difference in where I have found I prefer the lever and normal people's preference lol.

So much so we added a remote adjuster to the endurance bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement