Fuel problems : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Mikeandgsxr
Squid

Fuel problems

Hi guys I need a bit of advice my srad can only get 70mile b4 the fuel light comes on and I get 80 mile max to a empty tank, the carbs are all standard along the engine, the fuel tank is for a 600 as the bike use to be one but is now a 750, which most engine parts and frame are the same patten as the 600

I know when I upgraded the carbs they wouldn't balance and the bike sounded like a beast, the shop said in order to get the bike to idle the carbs wouldn't be 100% balanced, what ever they did it worked as bike sounds nice and can now idle at 900rpm where b4 2000rpm just to keep the bike alive.....

The bike always smells of fuel and in summer or when hot it can be quite strong smell, I drive past ppl and they tell me it has a strong smell of fuel, I have put new plugs, filter and ecu so I know it's not that, I have checked all cables made sure the air box is right on, to even making sure all the screws on the box are on tight, I don't mind only doing 70miles to a for tank but I member the days of 120 -140 miles so I would like to get some miles back on it, I have taken it to many shops and no one seems to know nor I think they even bother trying as I have never been charged lol

The fuel pump and the suction wining noise all start as normal when the key is turns and I don't have any leaks or patches under the bike, I have checked and place mates there ect and nothing, I have tried a new ecu and still doing the same,

The most troubling but is even if I ride at 70-80 mph or 150mph I always get the same reading, I ride from derby to London every week and my srad now cost the same to fill up as my shotgun which isn't good so I am aware of the miles it not getting

Please please please any help would be a great use to me as the cost is killing me lol

Thanks guys any more info u need please ask :-)ImageUploadedByMO Free1354106220.091212.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mikeandgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125
Re: Fuel problems

Send your carbs to ccmhunt for the prices he charges you'll be stupid not to. My bike transformed after hex worked is magic. You will not beat his price in the UK even when you include postage
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

It could be a seeping petcock that you haven't noticed......Ccm IS the man for carbs though!
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125

Easy way to test petcock. Remove fuel line from petcock outlet. Put on long hose to a container. Crack the bike for a second. It should take 5secs for fuel to stop if it don't rebuild kit and tank clean might be required. Make sure there is an inline fuel filter betwenn petcock and carbs.
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
ccmhunt
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 96 GSXR750 (parts), ZX7/9RR F-USA AMA SBK, 96 ZX7RR STREET, 96 WSBK ECKL ZX7RR

I have rebuild kits and brand new petcocks cheap!
ccmhunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
OGRE-WP
Squid

Hi Guys, was wondering i you could assist me, i have the same problem on my bike where it is actually leaking fuel, my machanic has now advised that i require a new pump seal for my bike, only problem is that In South Africa there is no stock? Suzuki can order it from Japan for me and it will take 4 weeks to get here and cost me USD312.50.... is there an alternative kit for this?? forgive me im new to biking.... I bought one but it wasnt from the same model and therefore is to big to fit.
OGRE-WP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
tmp
Rookie

Motorcycle: 99 SRAD 750

Buy that gasket on ebay! Much cheaper!

Here is the part number for you:
44590-02820

Last edited by tmp; 11-29-2012 at 04:43 AM.
tmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
TwistedMister
Lifetime Premium

there are many places fuel can leak in the system, work from the tank down, there are o-rings on the fuel supply tubes, bowl gaskets, fuel line hoses can be shot or leaking, filter if you have one, tank could be leaking?

start at the beginning and replace everything that can potentially leak, anything rubbery.. don't jimmy it or skimp, that way you know what you have and its NEW, may as well do the carbs while your at it.. MrHunt is a pro and notorious for his work..

carbed bikes just need that type of periodic attention, back in the day they didn't use the same chemical resistant materials they have now, least it doesn't seem like they did? may as well up date everything then its there and done, no more worries

couldn't be more than a couple hunnerd or so for everything involved, you wouldn't wanna catch the bike on fire while you're riding would you?
TwistedMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement