About to sell my other bike - couple of questions : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
ogiedoki
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750 K6 yel/blk, SV650SK7 trackbike
About to sell my other bike - couple of questions

I'm getting ready to sell my other bike, a 2007 SV650. This'll be my first time selling a bike so I had a couple of questions.

1. Is a test ride customary or expected? I assumed it would be customary but how do you protect yourself if someone asks for one? Do you ask for something to hold on to so he doesn't make off with your bike or what?

2. I know this may differ by state but after you agree to sell the bike what paperwork do you have to do? The bike is paid for and I have the title so do I just give the title to the new owner and then submit a sold notice to Arizona MVD? Also do I understand correctly that I keep the plates and then the new owner has to register for new ones?
I tried checking the AZ MVD page and it's kind of vague on the specifics.

Thank you for your responses.
ogiedoki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Re: About to sell my other bike - couple of questions

1) Cash

2) Homemade Bill of Sale, sign over title, keep plates, inform state you sold, turn in/destroy plates
!ThatGuy! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
oldgixxer
Giving Oldfart01 a Red Sock every nite...

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Never allow any test rides until you have ALL of the asking price,in cash,in your hand. Go to Staples and get one of those pens that you mark the bills with to see if they are counterfeit and check ALL the money before the test ride..people have gotten fake $100's plenty of times before and then youre fucked
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Ril3y
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
^^ exactly.. I've heard of a few people literally driving off or almost as bad, dropping the bike during a test ride. No money and you're left repairing it or having to sell it for less bc of damage..

Not sure where you are and what kind of element you have there, but Id take someone with me to the sale. Best case scenario, only to be a witness on the bill of sale, worst case if they try to strong arm you..
Ril3y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
ogiedoki
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds very sensible indeed to have the cash in hand and verify it before handing over the keys. Thanks for the advice since I didn't know what would be appropriate or not.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
gsxr313
Lifetime Premium

I had a friend (a dumb one I might add) that let a guy and his buddy take his ZX-11 out for a test ride. He figured he was safe as their car was left in his driveway. You guessed it, they never came back and the car was stolen. We laugh about it to this day.
gsxr313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr313 View Post
I had a friend (a dumb one I might add) that let a guy and his buddy take his ZX-11 out for a test ride. He figured he was safe as their car was left in his driveway. You guessed it, they never came back and the car was stolen. We laugh about it to this day.
Shitty thing to happen, but that is kinda funny
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

Cash in hand before they throw a leg over the bike, even if it is sat on my drive with the engine off.

Expect them to come with at least 1 friend, if he/she is riding away they will need a ride to your house and if they ain't riding away they need help getting it into a van or pickup truck.

Have a reliable friend with you who is ready to party if they are needed.
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
red_bandit
Back Marker

No need for a test ride..unless the bike is older, or there's reason to suspect Trans or clutch damage, etc. Everything else can be tested with the bike on center stand.

All the Dealerships I went to, dont allow test drives anymore. They will happily risk losing a sale, over a potential crash/death lawsuit.

They know a serious buyer Knows what they want.
red_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Kentucky Fried Cholo
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 1000

Looking at it from the buyer's side i wouldn't hand anybody any cash without having the pink slip signed over to me. With that said i've only ever sold dirt bikes and no test ride was done aside from starting and revving it a few times.
Kentucky Fried Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Kentucky Fried Cholo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_bandit View Post
No need for a test ride..unless the bike is older, or there's reason to suspect Trans or clutch damage, etc. Everything else can be tested with the bike on center stand.

All the Dealerships I went to, dont allow test drives anymore. They will happily risk losing a sale, over a potential crash/death lawsuit.

They know a serious buyer Knows what they want.
a dealer is a bit more reputable to buy from than a random person on craigslist. I will buy a bike from a dealer without riding it but will not consider buying one on the street without taking it for a spin.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
ogiedoki
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr313 View Post
Ouch, that sucks. It's that kind of mistake I wanted to avoid lol so I'll keep all this good advice in mind if I find a buyer for my bike.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

I just bought a bike off craigslist. We exchanged text messages about the price and set up a meeting time. Fortunately, it was at his residence.

Brought a friend with a trailer. Inspected the bike, loaded it, title signed over, paid him and left. Painless compared to that one story.

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
njyork42
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 750
I won't buy a bike without riding it unless its a crashed bike or something.. Had a friend do that..and turns out the trans on the bike was shot to hell when he finally rode it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App
njyork42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
oldgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dick View Post
Looking at it from the buyer's side i wouldn't hand anybody any cash without having the pink slip signed over to me. .
So if that is the case you would be screwed royally if the bike has any damage discovered upon the test ride since you already legally bought the bike when the title was signed over to you. Then what?
You cant erase your name on the pink slip&ask for your money back,once that title is signed you own it and your stuck with it. I do understand your point though
Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600
I wouldn't feel comfortable buying any vehicle, bike or car, without test riding/driving it. Just me though I guess
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Kentucky Fried Cholo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
So if that is the case you would be screwed royally if the bike has any damage discovered upon the test ride since you already legally bought the bike when the title was signed over to you. Then what?
You cant erase your name on the pink slip&ask for your money back,once that title is signed you own it and your stuck with it. I do understand your point though
Not what I meant. I wouldn't hand anyone that i didn't know cash until after i decided to buy. I wouldn't be opposed to signing a check in case I wreck it but not cash. I wouldn't be a dick about it either I'm jsut saying nobody gets my cash till a deal is made.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
oldgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dick View Post
Not what I meant. I wouldn't hand anyone that i didn't know cash until after i decided to buy. I wouldn't be opposed to signing a check in case I wreck it but not cash. I wouldn't be a dick about it either I'm jsut saying nobody gets my cash till a deal is made.
Makes much more sense to me explained that way
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Kentucky Fried Cholo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in