Shipping a motor [need advice] : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike
Shipping a motor [need advice]

I have a 2005 600 motor that someone wants to buy from me and he is in Kentucky, while I am in Florida.

What is the best way to ship the motor? Will UPS or Fedex take it? I am going to go in to town and check with UPS but I was hoping someone has prior experience with this sort of shipping.

Also, what would you estimate the weight of the motor as? 150lbs?
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
gixerhp
Rookie

Motorcycle: Hayabusa
Re: Shipping a motor [need advice]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVanVliet View Post
I have a 2005 600 motor that someone wants to buy from me and he is in Kentucky, while I am in Florida.

What is the best way to ship the motor? Will UPS or Fedex take it? I am going to go in to town and check with UPS but I was hoping someone has prior experience with this sort of shipping.

Also, what would you estimate the weight of the motor as? 150lbs?
Make a wooden box for it, and figure out the weight, UPS will need the dimension's and the weight to calculate a price!
gixerhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Travis V

I was thinking about making a crate but I was unsure if UPS would accept a crate.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Ive sold quite a few engines. I recommend using UPS Freight,they will come right to your house and pick it up. Make sure you make a STURDY wooden crate. I use 2x3's and 1/2" plywood. Material will cost you about $35-40. Once you have the engine inside the crate,cut a 2x3(or whatever you constructed the crate with)and put it behind the cylinder block(intake side)to brace the engine so it wont shift around inside the crate or the owner wont be happy when he opens it up.

You can buy pre-cut 2ft x 2ft plywood pieces and a 2ft square box is the perfect size for the engine. You will need six of those pieces and two 2x3x8(or 2x4)pieces of lumber and plenty of wood screws.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
ccmhunt
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 96 GSXR750 (parts), ZX7/9RR F-USA AMA SBK, 96 ZX7RR STREET, 96 WSBK ECKL ZX7RR

Sradiator has this down pat, pm him or get him to post here
ccmhunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
pearljam724
Nittany Lion

Motorcycle: Track - 99 SRAD 600, Street - Blue/White K8 750

Like noted fed ex or ups will do it. To be more accurate, you can ship anything, anywhere. If it were me, I'd get quotes from said companies. Then I'd make an account with U-ship it. It works just like eBay. You state what, where and when you want something shipped. Allowing private bigger companies to compete for the lowest price. You're not committed until an agreement has been reached. Allowing yourself the opportunity to beat those qoutes. There's a lot of " shows in town " if you look further into it.
pearljam724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Travis V

Thanks guys, I will be sure to do most of all the above
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

I've always used a pallet and just strapped it to it and called fedex freight. works great and super easy. Most any wal mart or large supercenter type store will give you a pallet if you go around back.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement