Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3 - Page 239 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Regional Forums > Ride Club > Northeast

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #4761
It's_Just_Bob
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track
Re: Northeast Trackwhores: 7 month thread v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
You better believe it! My favorite course by far!
What kind of times do you run there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #4762
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01_6 View Post
Actually, the races I won, I bought a new rear and a take off front that someone had laying in a pile that was muddy.

I have raced on takeoffs, and done really well.

Actually, this front ntec I bought from the muddy pile... I might do my first race weekend on it next year. That's how much confidence I had with it. I might buy a new front ntec next year per 3-4 rear gpas
All of the fronts are good like that these days. I change mine more for peace of mind than that I need it. The fronts all last forever these days. Well bstone I don't know. But the dunlop Michelin and pirelli do.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #4763
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Thatguy, do you run vir north?
I have only been there once. Went :34s. I can't wait to go back. I bet I have :32s if not :31s in me now based on barber and road Atlanta

. I need yo get back there
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #4764
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
I have only been there once. Went :34s. I can't wait to go back. I bet I have :32s if not :31s in me now based on barber and road Atlanta

Plan for it next year.

I want to go back next year for sure. Especially if I dont get down to Jennings or Roebling like I originally planned for this winter.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #4765
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
What kind of times do you run there?
..........I have only been there once........for my first ever track day.......did good though! haha. The coach, I think his name was Bob, said I was running a mid pack Red group pace, but I needed to clean some things up before he gave me a bump from white to red. I was riding a sv650. My other two track days have been at Summit, where I actually did get the bump to Red. Unfortunately, I do not have a lap timer so I could not tell you times at either course. A timer is on my Xmas list this year tho. So whatever a decent Red group pace is, will be my approx lap time at VIR N. Hope that gives you a time in proximity to my pace there....

....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed? Honestly, I have no idea. But figured more grip could never hurt! I ran the Pilot Power 2ct's at all my track days so far and they did just fine, but on a SV. The bike I just bought has some Power Ones B compound on them which will be a HUGE step up from the PP 2ct, and what Im researching to replace once they are toast.
CCS-#418......Best Lap: VIR N-1.40.8 NJMP-? Summit-1.21.0 Roebling- ?CMP-?

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #4766
Moto_Joe

Quote:
..........I have only been there once........for my first ever track day.......did good though! haha. The coach, I think his name was Bob, said I was running a mid pack Red group pace, but I needed to clean some things up before he gave me a bump from white to red. I was riding a sv650. My other two track days have been at Summit, where I actually did get the bump to Red. Unfortunately, I do not have a lap timer so I could not tell you times at either course. A timer is on my Xmas list this year tho. So whatever a decent Red group pace is, will be my approx lap time at VIR N. Hope that gives you a time in proximity to my pace there....

....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed? Honestly, I have no idea. But figured more grip could never hurt! I ran the Pilot Power 2ct's at all my track days so far and they did just fine, but on a SV. The bike I just bought has some Power Ones B compound on them which will be a HUGE step up from the PP 2ct, and what Im researching to replace once they are toast.
Power one b is a full race tire. Just be mindful of extended warm up compared to the 2ct.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #4767
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Power one b is a full race tire. Just be mindful of extended warm up compared to the 2ct.
Oh yeah, i know. Thanks for heads up though. Would not have been very cool if I didnt know and expected a PP 2ct warmup time and ate it my first lap out on my new bike. . Im actually planning on getting some Moto-D dual temps. $200 with a warranty!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #4768
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Quote:
Oh yeah, i know. Thanks for heads up though. Would not have been very cool if I didnt know and expected a PP 2ct warmup time and ate it my first lap out on my new bike. . Im actually planning on getting some Moto-D dual temps. $200 with a warranty!
I would suggest staying away from tires that require warmers, and buying warmers till you actually need them. Trust me, this shit is expensive enough as it is.

Put that $200 towards more track days.

I would also suggest doing a LOT of research before you buy tire warmers. I tried to save some money by buying MJMotoGear tire warmers, their stands are great and I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

But when tire warmers dont work it costs a lot more than the money you saved by buying cheap shit. Having a warranty that would replace my tire warmers, no questions asked, would not make this any less of a shitty situation.

Ask me how I know.

This is going to cost me a lot more than the amount of money I saved by not buying the best warmers I could.

If I crashed due to outriding my talent it wouldn't be as bad, but that bike is a serious thorn in my side right now because I crashed due to a defective front tire warmer and sitting on the grid after a lap 1 crash.
CCS AM #795
T 1:35.38/L 1:14.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
Mine might be an innie, but I promise you you don't want to get into a dick measuring contest with me, son. I'll win.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #4769
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

Wonder if lap 1 crash was caused by MJmoto warmer malfunction?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #4770
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

^^^^ Ewwww. That's not good. Hope you're OK.

A reputable racer actually suggested the Moto-D warmers, so I have faith in them. I agree about staying away from warmers for as long as possible as warmers usually mean more expensive tires, but dont I NEED them for the P1 B? Or can I get away with a few warm-up laps on those type tires?

This is for trackdays, NOT racing
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #4771
600k2
Lifetime Premium

I rode on the Pirelli Diablo track day slicks and used them with and without warmers incident free. They last a long time.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #4772
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I would suggest staying away from tires that require warmers, and buying warmers till you actually need them. Trust me, this shit is expensive enough as it is.

Put that $200 towards more track days.

I would also suggest doing a LOT of research before you buy tire warmers. I tried to save some money by buying MJMotoGear tire warmers, their stands are great and I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

But when tire warmers dont work it costs a lot more than the money you saved by buying cheap shit. Having a warranty that would replace my tire warmers, no questions asked, would not make this any less of a shitty situation.

Ask me how I know.

This is going to cost me a lot more than the amount of money I saved by not buying the best warmers I could.

If I crashed due to outriding my talent it wouldn't be as bad, but that bike is a serious thorn in my side right now because I crashed due to a defective front tire warmer and sitting on the grid after a lap 1 crash.
To be fair though I've had two sets of chicken hawks fail too.

The problem wasn't the warmer. Any warmer can fail. The probelem was lack of due diligence. Sorry.

As I said then always check behind your warmers. I don't care if they are chicken hawk pro line super duper magic warmers. They can fail or not warm properly.

Hell I've even had warmers indicating they were warming fine but wind through the rim had my front tire a solid 50* colder than it should have been.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #4773
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Quote:
To be fair though I've had two sets of chicken hawks fail too.

The problem wasn't the warmer. Any warmer can fail. The probelem was lack of due diligence. Sorry.

As I said then always check behind your warmers. I don't care if they are chicken hawk pro line super duper magic warmers. They can fail or not warm properly.

Hell I've even had warmers indicating they were warming fine but wind through the rim had my front tire a solid 50* colder than it should have been.
You are absolutely right, I am not blaming the tire warmers per se. If I had warmers that had a temperature gauge on them I would have known ahead of time. I already have my gloves on when I take my warmers off, so feeling the tires just doesn't work. I should have taken more precautions, I was even told the day earlier that my tires didnt feel warm when friend removed my warmers for me.

"The bike felt fine all the way till the time it didnt"
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #4774
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
I rode on the Pirelli Diablo track day slicks and used them with and without warmers incident free. They last a long time.
that is the Superbike Pro's, right? Im guessing the SP's would work just fine w/o warmers as well as the new Mich Power One 2ct's? Would def save me some money. One full track days worth!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #4775
600k2
Lifetime Premium

When the track day slicks are cold they feel flat riding in the pits and paddock, fwiw. Just something I noticed.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #4776
It's_Just_Bob
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track

Quote:

I managed a 38 my first and only time there. It was a glorious lap where I passed Chris on the brakes right.

Quote:
....guessing your trying to see if I even need the tires I listed?
Yep.

Quote:
A reputable racer actually suggested the Moto-D warmers, so I have faith in them.
I won't discredit Moto-D, as I haven't used any of their products. But anything you get for free is awesome until it fails and costs you more than it was worth saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
When the track day slicks are cold they feel flat riding in the pits and paddock, fwiw. Just something I noticed.
Any "properly" inflated race tire will.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #4777
Moto_Joe

Quote:
that is the Superbike Pro's, right? Im guessing the SP's would work just fine w/o warmers as well as the new Mich Power One 2ct's? Would def save me some money. One full track days worth!
The sp dot and the superbike pro slicks are trackday tires.

SC is the race dot. In forget what the race slick is called
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #4778
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #4779
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Yep.

I won't discredit Moto-D, as I haven't used any of their products. But anything you get for free is awesome until it fails and costs you more than it was worth saving.
..do you think I could actually use the tires I listed to their potential or can I still get the cheaper PP 2ct's?

True about the free thing. Im not getting them for free though. They are $200 bucks. lol. I do not know about their quality firsthand, just that a racer I know used them and he liked them. But if the tires Im getting dont NEED them, I wont buy them.

Quote:
The sp dot and the superbike pro slicks are trackday tires.

SC is the race dot. In forget what the race slick is called
cool. thanks. finally getting this all figured out. so many choices and combinations its ridiculous.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #4780
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Quote:
..do you think I could actually use the tires I listed to their potential or can I still get the cheaper PP 2ct's?

True about the free thing. Im not getting them for free though. They are $200 bucks. lol. I do not know about their quality firsthand, just that a racer I know used them and he liked them. But if the tires Im getting dont NEED them, I wont buy them.
Would you tell everyone how great a product is if a company was to give you that product for free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread