Scorpio alarm installation. - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
Wicked_Illusion
Novice

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600
Re: Scorpio alarm installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1987 View Post
Thats balls. The perimeter sensor isnt waterproof? WTF is that all about! It sounds like Scorpio was slacking bigtime when they did this. Does anyone know if it still works properly if you put a bag over it? I plan on buying the sr-i900 and I dont want my perimeter sensor screwing up on me.

Anyone know of a location somewhere where its not likely to get wet? where did everyone put theres?
Nope, I even talked to the dude at Scorpio, he said its not water proof and can't be due to how the unit works....(??) It IS however, in a decently sealed plastic box (see pic at http://www.scorpioalarms.com/products/accessories), so its pretty resistant.

It should still work with a bag over it because it sends signal fine through plastic/foam from the seat etc. anyway, it will not go through metal.

Mine seems to have dried out by the time I got home from work and doesn't seem to be tweakin at all anymore, I pulled my seat off when I got home and it all looked fine.... IMO I think the issue was not the box but I think the connector was the problem....it may have been damp --So I put some 3/8in shrink wrap tubing over it to seal it better just in case.

My sensor is velcrow'd under the seat back a little (not on top of the battery, there wasn't enough clearance/seat wouldn't sit right) its on a cross member just above the ECU. Hope that helps.

Wicked_Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #22
bokone
Novice

Motorcycle: K6 600

Hey Wicked,
That's pretty much what happened, except mine (when wet) would go into full alarm. I installed the main brain behind the battery/fuses, at the back of the seat. My perimeter is on top of that. It all sits under the sloping plastic that leads up to the passenger seat. But that acts like a waterfall/funnel when it rains. The rider seat doesn't seal to that plastic and all the water shoots right down there. The plastic bag seems to have fixed it. Also after a few days it would dry out and work again. Good luck to all.
bokone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
ATLgrabs
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr600

can anyone give me a step by step? i got the perimeter sensor and ignition disable as well. i did get the connector kit.
ATLgrabs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #24
teranine
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K8

Here are some pics of my SR-i900 installed in the tail section:

Unplug this connector and plug the MCM here:

Connect the alarm to the + terminal of the battery:

Here it is installed:

That's it. The install is really simple if you use a factory connector.
Mods: Akrapovic Hex single SO, Sato Ti exhaust hanger, PC3, Bazzaz TRE, BMC Street filter, HID 6000 low beam, Pazzo levers, Driven D-3 gel grips, Puig DB windscreen, Hotbodies mirror blockoffs, CRG blindsight barend mirror, Vortex rearsets, Shogun S5 frame sliders, Speadohealer, Silvervision TS bulbs, Corbin seat, Scorpio SR-i900, Ram GPS mount, RK GXW 520 chain, Driven sprockets -1/+1, STM rear tire spools
teranine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #25
teranine
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean-wit-it View Post
WHAT!!!
I did not know that.
That explains why it stopped working.
Don't ride in the rain if you can help it. Check weather.com if you're not sure of the forecast for the week
Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #26
CoolWhip2Go
Squid

Nice write-up teranine. My install was basically the same except that I put everything under the seat. It's easier to pop the back piece off versus taking the seat off so that's why I put it all under the seat. My perimeter sensor is sitting in the small indented area of the battery and my ignition kill module is also mounted in there. Better protection against rain imo. I also used split-loom to keep it nice and tidy.

Let me ask you this, did you cut wires for the ignition kill??? If you did, think about this, what if the relay goes bad??? How do you plan to start the bike if the relay gets triggered (let's say) and it stays stuck to where you can't start it??

A way around that is to rig up an inline fuse (radioshack) to the fuel pump fuse so that if the relay goes bad, you can bypass the ignition kill by taking off the inline and just putting the fuse back in the main fuse box.

Cutting wires for the ignition kill is definitely a way to go, however, if something goes wrong and you're out in the middle of nowhere, you need to be able to bypass it to start the bike.

Just my one cent...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
teranine
Back Marker

Thanks for the tip about the inline fuse. I'll have to check into that.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #28
Countryboy
WSB Champ

Motorcycle: your mama

i wired my ignition cut off to the tip over sensor. so basically it acts as if the bike just cuts off. if worse comes to worse id just disconnec the alarm and cut the wires and twist them together to bypass the alarm
Countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #29
OldSchoolRider
Rookie

Definately get the plug-n-play harness.......but don't hook up the ignition kill, its not worth it, just adds one more thing to strand you (ask me how I know ). If you do have to have the ignition kill, be sure you use bullet type connectors so you can easily bypass it if it strands you Also on some bikes the ignition kill can affect the igntion system and make the bike cut out at higher revs
OldSchoolRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #30
CoolWhip2Go
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRider View Post
Definately get the plug-n-play harness.......but don't hook up the ignition kill, its not worth it, just adds one more thing to strand you (ask me how I know ). If you do have to have the ignition kill, be sure you use bullet type connectors so you can easily bypass it if it strands you Also on some bikes the ignition kill can affect the igntion system and make the bike cut out at higher revs
Exactly my point. Sorry that had to happen to you. If it's done with the inline fuse piece (you actually remove the fuel pump fuse), there's no wires to cut at all and bypassing it is as simple as just removing the inline fuse wire and putting the fuse back in the fuse box.

From what I understand, the ignition kill is a heavy duty type of relay, but even heavy duty stuff breaks...
CoolWhip2Go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #31
isidor
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 gsxr750 k7

Hey Guys,

Thanks for a lot of useful information. I started installing sr-i900 on my K7 GSXR750 last night and I installed everyting but RID-5 (ignition disabler module) pretty easily. I decided to postpone RID-5 installation until I find more information (like which wire to cut?). This is what I found on one of the Hayabusa forums - a reply from Scorpio Tech Support:

"We recommend connecting the RID-5 to the fuel pump fuse wire. Unfortunately I do not have a wire diagram or any photos for the 2008 Hayabusa but you will want to make sure that if you pull the fuse the bike will die. Then you should try to restart the bike as it should not restart with the fuse removed. This will test both features of our RID-5. On fuel injected bikes we recommend fuel cutoff instead of ignition because the RID-5 can cause the bike to cutout at higher RPMís. With a fuel cutoff you donít experience this issue. You could also use the fuel pump ground or power wires if they are more accessible as long as you can test to make sure they will accomplish our two purposes. "

I think I'll go this route - cut the fule pump fuse wire, instead of ignition. Before I do this, I will see if it will be easier to connect it in series with the kill switch.

LZ
isidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #32
CoolWhip2Go
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidor View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for a lot of useful information. I started installing sr-i900 on my K7 GSXR750 last night and I installed everyting but RID-5 (ignition disabler module) pretty easily. I decided to postpone RID-5 installation until I find more information (like which wire to cut?). This is what I found on one of the Hayabusa forums - a reply from Scorpio Tech Support:

"We recommend connecting the RID-5 to the fuel pump fuse wire. Unfortunately I do not have a wire diagram or any photos for the 2008 Hayabusa but you will want to make sure that if you pull the fuse the bike will die. Then you should try to restart the bike as it should not restart with the fuse removed. This will test both features of our RID-5. On fuel injected bikes we recommend fuel cutoff instead of ignition because the RID-5 can cause the bike to cutout at higher RPMís. With a fuel cutoff you donít experience this issue. You could also use the fuel pump ground or power wires if they are more accessible as long as you can test to make sure they will accomplish our two purposes. "

I think I'll go this route - cut the fule pump fuse wire, instead of ignition. Before I do this, I will see if it will be easier to connect it in series with the kill switch.

LZ
I wouldn't cut the wire buddy. Instead use an inline fuse holder you can pick up at Radio Shack. One end of the ignition kill goes to one side of the fuse holder and the "inline fuse rig" goes to the other side, of course, the other end of the ignition kill module gets attached to one side of the "inline fuse rig".

If you cut the wire to the fuel pump, and the relay gets stuck in the open position, how are you going to start your bike????

Do it however you like though. Just trying to save you a headache if the relay goes bad. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
isidor
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 gsxr750 k7

Thanks CoolWhip2Go! You have a point about not cutting the wire.

If I understand your method, you'd pull the fuel pump fuse out, and "replace" it with RID-5 ignition disabler module rigged with an inline fuse holder. In case RID-5 goes bad, you'd remove the disabler module from the fuse socket and put the fuse back in, right?

What kind of connectors would you put at the end of the RID-5/inline fuse wires, so they get properly and securely connected to the fuse socket?

Thanks!
isidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #34
OldSchoolRider
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWhip2Go View Post
I wouldn't cut the wire buddy. Instead use an inline fuse holder you can pick up at Radio Shack. One end of the ignition kill goes to one side of the fuse holder and the "inline fuse rig" goes to the other side, of course, the other end of the ignition kill module gets attached to one side of the "inline fuse rig".

If you cut the wire to the fuel pump, and the relay gets stuck in the open position, how are you going to start your bike????

Do it however you like though. Just trying to save you a headache if the relay goes bad. Good luck.
Good advice Cool...I'm going to go pick up a couple of those from radio shack for some other projects I have going on
My ignition kill failure was actually related to the alarm system itself...not the ignition kill module. My system overheated from sitting in the sun too long, and my alarm wouldn't disarm. So I had to bypass the ignition kill, and ride the bike away with the alarm blaring till it cooled enough so i could disarm it I don't have the ignition kills hooked up on either of my bikes now, between my experience and others I've read online, I just don't want the hassle. And the kill would do me absolutely no good for my area and style of riding.......I just hooked it up because it came with the alarm, I paid for it, and figured why not?
OldSchoolRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #35
CoolWhip2Go
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidor View Post
Thanks CoolWhip2Go! You have a point about not cutting the wire.

If I understand your method, you'd pull the fuel pump fuse out, and "replace" it with RID-5 ignition disabler module rigged with an inline fuse holder. In case RID-5 goes bad, you'd remove the disabler module from the fuse socket and put the fuse back in, right?

What kind of connectors would you put at the end of the RID-5/inline fuse wires, so they get properly and securely connected to the fuse socket?

Thanks!
Ready for this???? Just get a "spare" fuse, break the connection between the 2 posts, really easy to do, I just used a small jeweler's screwdriver to break it, then solder the wires to the top terminals followed by "liquid electrical tape" (sold at WalMart). Once it all dries up, just pop it in the fuse box! If anything goes wrong, pull it out, stick a good fuse in it's place and you're back up and running.

Now, if use the same gauge wire (like the wires on the wire harness) and you use black wire and split loom everything, you won't notice anything if you take your seat off.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
CoolWhip2Go
Squid

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to tell you about something that happened to me last week and how I was able to be up and running again instantly via the set-up that I recommended.

After a long ride from Orlando back to Tampa, I was sitting at a stop light and the bike died! I was able to pull over into a gas station and proceeded to see what the heck was wrong with the bike.

Well, my brand new Yuasa battery was dead! (Because my rectifier decided to go bad). Well, when I took off my seat to set-up the battery charger my friend brought over so I could get the bike started and get back home, I disconnect the power wire to the alarm which in turn triggered the ignition kill! The battery was reading about 11.6 volts (give or take) which wasn't enough for the alarm to sense my remote in my pocket so of course, I wasn't able to disable the alarm.

Anyways, the alarm was going off and of course I couldn't start the bike due to ignition kill (so we know that it works great)! :-)

Well, I just removed my fuse set-up and installed a regular fuse (which I keep 2 spares) in the ignition spot in the fuse box and it started right up!

So my set-up works just great! Had I cut wires... I think i'd be screwed!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #37
Jaws4God
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750

Thanks for this write up, it helped me with my install.. everything went smoothe and i def recommend this for anyone wanting an alarm.
Jaws4God is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #38
scott.gsx
Squid

Motorcycle: suzuki gsx r750
Hey I just installed the Scorpio si-900 On my 2011 gsxr 750 . Easy job but they don't sell the factory wiring harness for the 2011 and I didn't install the scorpio ignition cut off because I heard of people having problems with there ecu's after, like the engine cutting out at 9000rpm's and what would be the point, the 2011 comes with a chip in the key so even if a theif would hot-wire your bike the ignition immobilizer won't let the bike start unless u think someone is going to jump u when the bike is running and kick u off . I don't think so. I also spoke to the dealer and he seems to think it might screw up the factory ignition immobilizer. That's why I didnt install the scorpio ignition cut off. If I would install it I would put it on the fuel pump wire but it might leave u stranded somewhere if it fails to work anyways the bike comes with an ignition cut off.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
scott.gsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
GSXRWallace
Squid

Hello. Has anyone got any pictures of the remote ignition disable install using the inline fuse?

Many thanks
GSXRWallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
GSXRWallace
Squid

I have been looking around online to see how you would tap in to the fuel pump circuit as has been explained above. I just cant seem to find anything on how you do it. If anyone has any pictures on how they did theirs i would really appreciate your help. many thanks
GSXRWallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in