M4 gp slip on + Mjs mid pipe fitment issue : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Mods & How To's

Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
usmc412
Novice

M4 gp slip on + Mjs mid pipe fitment issue

Whats up guys..

So i hacked off my cat on my k8 Gsxr 600 and installed the mjs mid pipe. Only issue is that the end of the midpipe doesn't fit snug with the m4 slip on and there is a lot of wiggle room. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how I could fix the issue? Thanks
usmc412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
GlobeWarmer
Squid

Motorcycle: 2009 GSX-R750 | 2012 S1000RR
Re: M4 gp slip on + Mjs mid pipe fitment issue

You're probably missing the gasket piece that was on the cat where the stock muffler slid onto the cat. Take a look at the cat and you should see a metallic type sleeve about 2" long on the end of it. Remove it, slide it on the MJS pipe. Done dollar.

Last edited by GlobeWarmer; 11-26-2012 at 01:09 AM.
GlobeWarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R 600

If I read it correctly the O.D on the midpipe is smaller than the I.D on the exhaust can. Depending on how much smaller it is you may be able to have the end on the midpipe expanded at an exhaust shop to fit the exhaust can.
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

Be very careful expanding the midpipe. You can not shrink it if it expanded too far.. Most of the stainless they use on motorcycle exhaust systems will break very easily with the hydraulic machines they use to bend/expand/shrink the exhaust pipe for cars.
Travis V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
GlobeWarmer
Squid

If the midpipe is for his model year, and the slip-on is for his model year then there shouldn't be a need to expand it. I'd almost guarantee it's the gasket sleeve thingy.

This is from the service manual -

Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeWarmer View Post
If the midpipe is for his model year, and the slip-on is for his model year then there shouldn't be a need to expand it. I'd almost guarantee it's the gasket sleeve thingy.

This is from the service manual -

He is talking about the can end not the cat end or at lead that is how I read it he made it sound like the cat side is fine the can side is loose
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
GlobeWarmer
Squid

I'm confused now too. That picture I think shows what he is talking about cuz he did the cat hack, so instead of the cat being there it's now the MJS pipe, and the M4 can is not sitting solid on it, it has wiggle room - which when I did my MJS pipe and R-55 can, was because I forgot to transfer the sleeve (seen above) from the cat's pipe to the MJS pipe. Mufflers slide over the tip of the cat's pipe (or midpipe) but the sleeve piece is needed as a gasket to provide a proper seal - without it exhaust it leaks, and it gives too much wiggle room. This has already taken up too much of my brain power!

Either way, seems like the OP figured it out or doesn't care anymore...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeWarmer View Post
I'm confused now too. That picture I think shows what he is talking about cuz he did the cat hack, so instead of the cat being there it's now the MJS pipe, and the M4 can is not sitting solid on it, it has wiggle room - which when I did my MJS pipe and R-55 can, was because I forgot to transfer the sleeve (seen above) from the cat's pipe to the MJS pipe. Mufflers slide over the tip of the cat's pipe (or midpipe) but the sleeve piece is needed as a gasket to provide a proper seal - without it exhaust it leaks, and it gives too much wiggle room. This has already taken up too much of my brain power!

Either way, seems like the OP figured it out or doesn't care anymore...
Ah I see why you are saying the can was made to go onto the cat but he cut the cat out so the I.D of the can is the O.D of the cat + bushing so yea he should put the bushing on midpipe and call it good
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
dylanb
Squid

just picked up a 600 about a month ago and have the m4 gp slip on. looking in doing the same with mjs mid pipe. the m4 i found is loud and am looking into going louder just not sure how loud the mid pipe will make it
dylanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
usmc412
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanb View Post
just picked up a 600 about a month ago and have the m4 gp slip on. looking in doing the same with mjs mid pipe. the m4 i found is loud and am looking into going louder just not sure how loud the mid pipe will make it
Very loud... Definitely need ear plugs on long rides
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
usmc412
Novice

Sorry for the late replies but I have ran into another issue. When I made the cut I cut as close to/on the weld but it is still not enough pipe for the mid pipe to fit without a space. I am gonna try and use some gasket sealant or jb weld to fix this hole. I will let you know how if goes.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
VooDoo Child
Frame Slider Tester

Motorcycle: L1 1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc412 View Post
Sorry for the late replies but I have ran into another issue. When I made the cut I cut as close to/on the weld but it is still not enough pipe for the mid pipe to fit without a space. I am gonna try and use some gasket sealant or jb weld to fix this hole. I will let you know how if goes.
Really?

A highly advanced machine built to exacting tolerances and your going to JB Weld it?

Dude... you hacked it. Fix it properly.
VooDoo Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
1Slowrider
Rookie

Hmmmmmm. Find a welder. Post pic of the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1394678309271.jpg (14.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1394678339437.jpg (40.0 KB, 59 views)
1Slowrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
bryced
Rookie

Post pictures please. Hell maybe even a video.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
bryced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
VooDoo Child
Frame Slider Tester

As you can tell by some of the responses your JB Weld idea is stupid. Your a marine right? Would you use JB Weld if you lost the pivot pin that held your bolt carrier group together? That totally stupid right? So is your idea.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #16
1Slowrider
Rookie

This issue/thread really start in 11/12? Oh my!!! Where are you located maby somebody could recomend a fab shop.
1Slowrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #17
usmc412
Novice

I'm taking it to the shop to get it welded. I can try and get pics but the hole might be too small to show up. The stock bushing that was on the cat is across the country so I'm getting it sent to me.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
usmc412
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
As you can tell by some of the responses your JB Weld idea is stupid. Your a marine right? Would you use JB Weld if you lost the pivot pin that held your bolt carrier group together? That totally stupid right? So is your idea.
I'm a busy guy constantly on the move plus this issue is new to me so I'm doing my research and asking for opinions and advice. I don't need some snoody remark from someone like you.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
VooDoo Child
Frame Slider Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc412 View Post
I'm a busy guy constantly on the move plus this issue is new to me so I'm doing my research and asking for opinions and advice. I don't need some snoody remark from someone like you.
I was trying to relate a high precision machine that your new to to a high precision weapon that you should know well so you could see where people are coming from.

Your mighty sensitive.

RLTW
Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #20
usmc412
Novice

I gotcha. Well the dude at the shop said I have two options... A wrap with some clamps for the cheap way or removing the entire system and welding it. I'm probably gonna go with option two, but I will take some pics when I get it off this weekend so anyone who is going the mid pipe route has a idea of what not to do and how close to the cat you actually have to cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement