What to check on a k5 600 with zero history : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
JonnyBKK
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR600
What to check on a k5 600 with zero history

I bought a k5 600 2 years ago with unknown history and 9,000 kms on the clock (not much choice of bikes here in Thailand and this one came up at a good price). I've done regular oil and filter changes since then and its now got 24,000 kms on it with no issues.*

However, I'm thinking it's about time I got some serious checks done on it. I'm no mechanic but a bit of googling suggests that I should get the valve clearances checked and the cam chain tensioner adjusted.*

Bearing in mind I have no idea about the history of this bike and the bike has 24,000 kms now, can anyone suggest what they would get checked if they were in my position? I know I should have got this checked out when I bought the bike but I've only recently found a mechanic I trust that can work on inline 4's in Bangkok so I didn't want to risk it before.

Thanks in advance...
JonnyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike
Re: What to check on a k5 600 with zero history

Check compression on all four cylinders.

Got a bike I pulled the pistons in and number 1 piston had the rings seized.
Change brake fluid, check rotors and brake pads. Retighten all main bolts.

Check valve lash, set idle to 1,300 RPMs. Clean injectors/air filter. Check all rubber lines. PCV, PAIR, etc.
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

Fork oil..
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Ironhead401
!##NULL##!

If you never did it, brake lines and or at the very least new brake fluid.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
meat_whistle
Novice

Motorcycle: '04 gsx-r 600
I would inspect the bearings throughout the bike. Steering stem, wheels, swingarm etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
meat_whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
tigertim20
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2001 R1, 2004 GSXR1k

probably a good time to do all the things most riders forget about.
replace your brake lines - standard rubber lines have an expiry date of 5-10 years depending on climate but most people are ignorant of this.
compression check, valve clearances checked, go over all the nuts and bolts and make sure they are all torqued to spec, do your oil and filters, I do plugs regularly even though most people say they will last much longer.

drain all your coolant and refill, measure your discs for thickness and see if they are still within spec . . .

theres more I would do, but thats basically it. You can go ahead an dielectric grease all your connections etc etc as well if you want to, just give the whole thing a good check over with a fine tooth comb then go ride it!
tigertim20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Samantha750

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Start here: From the K4/5 service manual

Samantha750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
JonnyBKK
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR600

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention I got the spark plugs changed, pads changed, steering bearings changed and fresh brake fluid a few months ago. The tickover was a bit high at the time (just under 2k rpm) and he adjusted that but now it's a bit 'lumpy/inconsistent' so I'll get him to check that as well. Not sure if that's the result of him turning it down a bit or something else?

I think I'll go for the cam chain tensioner checked, valves checked, compression checked, bearings checked... I feel like I've pushed my luck a bit not getting it checked sooner to be honest and I've just got back from a 2800km tour of the North so I can handle not riding again for a couple of weeks while I recover...
JonnyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement