Low Idling to Engine Cut-off : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
gsxrphoenix
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 600
Low Idling to Engine Cut-off

So one day I started my bike and it idled for like 2 seconds and then just died off. I eventually got it running by holding in the throttle after I started it (to sort of force it to run by not letting it idle out). Rode up the street a bit, and it started working again. It's been doing this for the last couple of days on and off. Any ideas about what it could be? I've also been smelling a slight burning smell when I stop the bike.

I'm about to attempt to change the spark plugs and then the oil and coolant a bit later.... but I just need some feed back on what could possibly be wrong especially if anyone has experienced similar situations. Thanks.
gsxrphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Re: Low Idling to Engine Cut-off

Download a manual and adjust your idle up.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Zlow28
16.8@186.1

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600

Adjust the cold start idle. Bump it up a bit
Zlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

If you do a search on cold starting you will see many threads that seem to pop up this time of year when the temperature gets below 50 degrees.

I agree with the above. Set the warm idle to the high side (1300 plus/minus 100 according to the service manual.)

My bike would occaisionally stall but I now know to watch it for the first 30 seconds or so and rev it slightly if it needs it. If you let it bog and stall it seems to foul the plugs.
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
gsxrphoenix
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 600

I have been looking, but no one seems to have good solution... just the same problem. I actually proceeded to change the plugs yesterday... running stronger now.... but still idles funny. It doesn't naturally idle low it starts out idling high at about 1600 and then a second or two later goes down to about 1300-1400 (normal) and then after about 30 seconds to a minute it quickly idles lower until it cuts off. Now I just cut it off before it gets around to cutting out or I rev it a bit. Runs just like normal when I get out and about... but still. And a day or two before it started happening the engine hit a standing temp of about 232. Which is an all-time high. Especially for the winter.

and today i noticed some random green chalky residue on the bottom of my fairing and on some tubes on the left side... if that means anything

Last edited by gsxrphoenix; 11-25-2012 at 11:51 AM.
gsxrphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

The green chalky residue sounds like you have a coolant leak. (plus the above average temperature)

Check your coolant level at the tank and also at the radiator cap.

I have not seen any solution to the cold start/stall problem either. My guess is Suzuki just does not have the fueling map right in this area. It only happens to me occasionally so I just watch it when I first start the bike and don't worry about it. Mine always runs fine after the first minute or so.
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement