Help, Suspension Stupid : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
blewitup
Squid

Help, Suspension Stupid

Hey all,

I'm pretty new here, although I have been lurking for a while. I have a 10,000 mile stock 05 GSXR 600 and it is on it's death bed. I have been reading here like crazy and been buy parts like no one's business. Lot's of good info here.

I have been reading up on the GSXR's suspention stuff and I am a bit confused. If I am looking at the links in the sticky right, the factory suspension can support a rider 200+ pounds, yet everyone who is serious about riding ditches the factory components. Are they really that bad? I'm 6'3" at 190lbs.

I am overhauling my bike, I figured it would be a good time to try and get this dialed in for me. I mainly ride the street but I am thinking I am ready to give the track a shot.

What I am asking is if there are any good threads, articles or builds to read up on? I just feel like this is a black art or voo-doo. Is it that complicated?

Lastly, I came across a few links in my browsing, and thought I would throw them up. Maybe someone can tell me if there is anything to them?

Thanks,
-Ryan

http://motorcycleroadracingforums.co...-gsxr-600.aspx

^ Seems to be talking more about the front...

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=68768

^Crazy rear shock rebuild that doesn't seem too bad...
blewitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
HAZDADDY
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 1000, 2006 Busa-sold, 2006 cbr 600- sold
I am also very curious to see if anyone can provide some advice. I'm 6'5 230 and I've only had a little experience adjusting suspension settings. From what I've found though, it's a lot of trial and error and everyone has their own style if riding and how they want the bike to feel and react. So, what I have done so far is just make some adjustments, ride, adjust some more, repeat....

As far as upgrading suspension, if you are going to the track a lot its probably worth it. Just my opinion but I don't think it's necessary for just street riding

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

PCV5 and HID kit awaiting install
HAZDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
FlaGatorL
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR 750
You bike is on the death bed!?? Wtf not even close unless you don't take care of it.
I'm 6'2 220 and mine rides awesome. I have slightly messed with mine though

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
FlaGatorL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
blewitup
Squid

Re: Help, Suspension Stupid

It was laid down by the previous owner... He broke a motor mount tab off the frame and replaced the fairings with shit fiberglass ones. I bought it DIRT cheap for something to learn on three years ago with only 2000 miles on it. Now I am confident in my riding and want it to look good and feel good. I have about $2k worth of crap for it. The suspension is the last bit to sort out. Everything else is pretty cut and dry. I will be starting a build thread here soon so everyone can see my frame off resto, since I am replacing the frame.... ha.

Thanks so far guys.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Nafterclifen
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 GSX-R 600

The stock suspension is more than sufficient for street use. On the track, it is good well into the Advanced group. If you are 200+, consider changing your springs (shock, forks, or maybe both depending on mileage). Consult a suspension tuner in person before making any spring changes. A competent tuner will measure your bike with you on and off of it to determine what needs to be adjusted/changed and how much.
Nafterclifen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
meducky
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2004 and 1985 Gixxer 750's

I played with my suspension too when I first got my bike and to me it felt good on the road and on the track. I've decided to go see a professionnal suspension guy and get him to "tune" the suspension for me and it was the BEST money I ever spent! I currently have stock everything in there. I'm 6'2" and 245 lbs with all my track gear on. Once he was done I took it for a session on the track and the changes were night and day. Defenetly worth it. Now I want the good stuff and see how much of an improvement it can make.
meducky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
blewitup
Squid

Thanks guys. I will consult a pro. Anyone know of a good one in the Detroit area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in