Originally Posted by awegrzyn
I just purchased a Formula 1000 and it runs a Suzuki GSX-R1000 engine. As of now I know very little about the engine, so I'm going to ask obvious questions.
I need help with the following:
1. What year is my motor? Here is the number off the engine: T711-131024
2. Can you guys suggest a good repair manual or good spec sheet for the engine.
3. What is the best racing engine oil and how much? On the side of the plug it says 3000ml (3.17 US qt). Is that the amount of oil?
4. What's the best/light weight oil filter?
5. I'm assuming the transmission and the engine use the same oil from the same oil pan.
6. Any specific lubricant for the chain?
7. Does anyone cool the engine with water and water wetter only?
8. Should I stick with the original spark plugs, or there is something better out there?
9. Is there an online store for OEM parts you guys would recommend?
Thanks in advance.
1. T711=03-04 GSX-R1000
2. servicemanualsgsxr or scribd.com should have a pdf for the 03-04
3. Up for debate, IMO any bike specific 10W-40 synth or synth blend - I use Suzuki dino juice personally. Yes, a little over 3 qts, use the sight glass to check the level.
4. I use OEM Suzuki filters.
5. Yes and the clutch plates as well.
6. That depends on your chain. Most people (on bikes at least) use 530 or 520 O-ring chains. Use a lube designed for o-ring type chains.
7. Yes I use water wetter in my track bike. Make sure you drain it before winter if your temps drop below freezing.
8. Stick with the OEM NGK CR9 unless your engine is modified and tuned to use something else.
9. Ron Ayers, Oneida Suzuki, Sportbiketrackgear, Motomummy