[DIY] R1 Throttle Installation (no 56k) - Page 10 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #181
BuiltforSin
Rookie

Motorcycle: K7 600
Re: [DIY] R1 Throttle Installation (no 56k)

I will be doing this soon!
BuiltforSin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #182
AsphaltPilot74
Rookie

Motorcycle: '06 750

I did this a second time, the first was to my '06 600(in 2007) and now to my '06 750.
I bought the same R1 tube, 4YR.......
I did not measure the distance the first time around. I did this time and I will get pictures up of the arc distance at the housing radius(not throttle grip radius), but the difference there from stock is just 1/8" less travel. Not much difference at all.
AsphaltPilot74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #183
PR-asicsboii
Novice

Motorcycle: K6 GSX-R 600

how much throttle cable slack did everyone have with their stock tube?? mine has pretty much none left and i went to put the r1 tube on and there is no way in hell its going to work
PR-asicsboii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #184
DrIoannis
Back Marker

There is difference in throttle response but not that drastic that will create a problem(too fast throttle opening).It helped me a lot.
DrIoannis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #185
Monkey_Leader77
Novice

Motorcycle: K8 600 Wht/Slv

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-asicsboii View Post
how much throttle cable slack did everyone have with their stock tube?? mine has pretty much none left and i went to put the r1 tube on and there is no way in hell its going to work
There will not be much slack in your throttle cable since it is set up for your stock tube which has a smaller diameter than the R1, the diameter meaning in the cable carrier part of the tube is larger vs. the stock. Its very easy to adjust though so its a quick easy fix.

Look at the very first picture in the DIY, there is a rubber boot over the adjuster on that line (if im not mistaken its the cable to open throttle, closest to the front of the bike). Inside is the adjuster itself, as well as a knurled locking nut that locks the adjuster down. You just pull back the rubber, loosen up the knurled nut so you can adjust the cable (it just acts as a locking mechanism to keep the cable from adjusting itself), and turn the adjuster until you see slack coming out of the cable to give you a more play, and making it easy to get both of the cables into the R1 throttle. I believe you turn it clockwise but just watch the cable you will see it either go back into the shroud or come out of it more, you want it to come out more for slack.

Also its a good idea to count exactly how many full turns you go to get you in the ballpark for when you adjust it back, you should need to adjust it a little anyway since your putting a bigger diameter throttle in there. The adjustment should change over stock, but every bike is just a little bit different. Mine needed adjusting so I just adjusted it until all the slop was out of the throttle and it snapped back to my liking. Dont forget your little plastic spacer that goes inside the throttle housing, and dont force those throttle cables they look very easy to break or damage in which case you will be screwed. Hope this helps you out.

By the way thanks to the OP I did this easy inexpensive mod on my K8 and love it.

Last edited by Monkey_Leader77; 01-24-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Monkey_Leader77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #186
PR-asicsboii
Novice

the adjuster is pretty much all the way loosened with my stock tube. so it wont give me any slack to clear the r1 tube
Old 01-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #187
Monkey_Leader77
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-asicsboii View Post
the adjuster is pretty much all the way loosened with my stock tube. so it wont give me any slack to clear the r1 tube
Are you sure you got the locking bolt loose on the adjuster? Mine could be adjusted out over a half inch which would be dangerous to ride on the street like that. If yours is already adjusted all the way out you will have a ton of slop in your throttle. You should only have .08 - .16 or 2 - 4mm of play in your throttle. I would put a picture but its very dark outside, on page 7-22 of your owners manual it gives a really good picture of it and a how to.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #188
PR-asicsboii
Novice

yea, im sure. its almost all the way out and it has like 2mm of slack. no slop at all. its adjusted pretty much perfect, there is just no more room to loosen
Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #189
Monkey_Leader77
Novice

I did use a screwdriver to gently pry a little to get mine out before I figured out to put slack in it, I was just very careful. If it is super duper tight I wouldnt do it. I put the cable closest to the front of the bike in first and twisted it to WOT to install the other side, like I said you can try gently using a screwdriver or something similar to help but if its real tight then im not sure. That just doesnt sound right that its adjusted all the way out. Even after I adjusted mine all the way out it took a little bit of motivation to get them inside the carrier. Also my bike only has like 1900 miles on it so if you have alot more than that your cable could have stretched out a little but I dont see how that would affect it. Im sure somebody that ran into this problem will chime in soon.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #190
MotoScout
Squid

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750 Black n Blue

Thanks for the clear instructions! Got mine for less than $15.00 at the dealer.
I was putting on a set of Heaterz grips and this worked great.
What a pleasant surprise. I really like the outcome. Definitely would do this again. Very easy to install and reverse if necessary. The bike feels more like it should.
-MS
MotoScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #191
AsphaltPilot74
Rookie

Motorcycle: '06 750

the gap between the 2 blue tape on the housing is the difference between stock and the R1 throttle tube. not that much difference at all

i'm going to try this one soon
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213953
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01272u.jpg (44.3 KB, 423 views)
AsphaltPilot74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #192
chrispy121
Novice

Motorcycle: 07 GSXR600

and it was a Kiwi that showed you how to do it

I got my new tube on today it is a little shorter but it measn I can got wot with less effort and repositioning money well spent

Last edited by chrispy121; 03-18-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: adding some more information
chrispy121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #193
§treet_§peed
Novice

Motorcycle: None at the moment :'(

hmmm i might try this after this summer. why is this not stickied btw
§treet_§peed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #194
buddy179
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by §treet_§peed View Post
hmmm i might try this after this summer. why is this not stickied btw
are you blind...honestly??
buddy179 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #195
Steelerfan
Squid

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR-750 B/Y

I just did mod on my k6 750. I also had no adjustment left on cable. Had to force it a bit but got it on. Hope I never have to take it of though! I guess it was even tighter because the r6 throttle was used.
Steelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #196
gix wookie
Squid

I just did this mod, worked beautiful! The part number is 4YR-26240-02, the number ending in 00 is now a super seeded part from Yamaha, they no longer make that part however the part number I've quoted is from an '04 R1. Looks smaller than the 00 part but does the same job.
Thank you for posting this YOUR A CHAMP!!!!
gix wookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #197
Chugs
Lets go racing!

I had the r1 for a few months and swapped over to the r6, minimal difference, but the r6 does allow for less travel to wot.
Chugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #198
nygin
Squid

nice write up, i plan to do this soon
nygin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #199
Safado456
Training Wheel Hero

So I think I will try this out. But few questions?

1: Do you need to shave off or cut anything from the OEM piece that wraps around the throttle cables?
2: What is the year of the R1 throttle sleeve?
3: Whats the difference between the R1 and R6 throttle sleeve? I heard its the R6 that has less of a twist to reach full throttle then the R1 does. anyone can clarify this?
4: do the throttle cables need to be fully loosen to mount them back on the R1 sleeve? I can see if not, it will have the RPM's rev a bit high...

for such a cheap upgrade compared to a MotionPro 1/4 throttle revolver this is great and seems like a lot less effort to install...
Safado456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in