Alpinestars SMX 5 Boots - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk > Riding Gear/Apparel

Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Re: Alpinestars SMX 5 Boots

then I highly suggest some quality ankle braces to wear w/ the boots. Not the best option, but better than nothing.

and what 1/4 mile said. CALL Jason. Dont know till you ask
!ThatGuy! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R 600

Funny thing is I got my super techs for 200 and just yesterday a local shop was selling super techs for 250 as an early Black Friday special.

But as said to each there own but if I were you I would wait till spring and buy the better boot rather that be a dainese top of the line boot or technic or the super techs
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600
Definitely, if he can give me a sweet deal I may go a step up.

Wow how did you swing that?? Maybe I'll have to go look around locally...
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
kevin.g
Club Racer

What about the teknic violator? They look sturdier in the pictures
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Pee Wee Herman
AKA 1/4milecrazy

Motorcycle: Street:2009CBR600RR Track:2007GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
The headlights cost me $10 and my time to do myself and the windscreen came on the bike from the PO... I'm sorry but you don't know my financial situation or anything about me. $250 on boots will do for me, thanks. I've got a wife to support and bills and rent to pay.

I'm looking on STG.
You are absolutely right, I don't know you or your financial situation.

Yet I still care enough about you to try to steer you in the right direction when it comes to your safety. I do not benefit one bit from you wearing SMX+'s over the SMX-5s. But if I can save you and your family from dealing with the potential injury from a boot that does not offer enough protection then I will benefit from knowing that I helped one rider walk away from a crash.

In the end you will do what you want anyway.

Just shop smart before you buy, call Jason, tell him you are a GDC member and how much you can afford to spend, he will hook you up with the best boot he can put you in while staying in your budget.
CCS AM #795
T 1:35.38/L 1:14.06
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerVixxen View Post
Mine might be an innie, but I promise you you don't want to get into a dick measuring contest with me, son. I'll win.
Pee Wee Herman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
kevin.g
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
You are absolutely right, I don't know you or your financial situation.

Yet I still care enough about you to try to steer you in the right direction when it comes to your safety. I do not benefit one bit from you wearing SMX+'s over the SMX-5s. But if I can save you and your family from dealing with the potential injury from a boot that does not offer enough protection then I will benefit from knowing that I helped one rider walk away from a crash.

In the end you will do what you want anyway.

Just shop smart before you buy, call Jason, tell him you are a GDC member and how much you can afford to spend, he will hook you up with the best boot he can put you in while staying in your budget.
I just want the best thing I can get for under $250 but maybe I can do better without breaking my budget. I do appreciate your advice though. I'll have to call when the time comes. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Quote:

I was patient checked around checked clearance racks returned a pair of boots and raised hell and finally worked out a deal at 200.

The boots I returned knocked 50 off clearance knocked some off and me raising hell knocked some off
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Quote:

I was patient checked around checked clearance racks returned a pair of boots and raised hell and finally worked out a deal at 200.

The boots I returned knocked 50 off clearance knocked some off and me raising hell knocked some off

Honestly being in any boot is better than no boot at all especially if you are riding on the street. However if you will be tracking and doing over 140 down the front straight safety should be at the forefront of your purchase IMO

The faster I get on the track the more I have started to care about my gear. Also watching buddy's go down and seeing for myself the difference between quality gear and cheap gear has made a huge impact as well
|_..._...___________| ||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)******(@)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #29
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Spose I'm just posting up what has already been said, but hey ho.

I went from the SMX-4 unperf to a pair of SuperTech R perfs. The Techs are just as comfy as the SMX-4, but with a very sturdy ankle brace. It certainly is a nice secure feeling.

I haven't noticed much of a temp difference between the two on the GSXR, but I rode an SV650 which didnt have any lower fairing, and I certainly noticed the perf then. Guess the wind just drives straight in without a fairing pushing it around.

Save for the SMX-Plus or the SuperTechs, they are definitely worth it
1998 GSXR 750: Full Titanium Yoshimura Tri Oval exhaust, K&N Filter, A.P.E MCCT, Factory Pro case covers, Goodridge Braided Steel Lines, K7 Radial Master Cyl, FP Levers, Yoshimura Billet Pillion pegs.

To do: Power Commander, Suspension work...
Minibull is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
-=Sidewayz=-
Novice

Like others have said, be patient and shop around. Got my smx+ for 200 also (new).
-=Sidewayz=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
RidersDiscount
Official Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
I just want the best thing I can get for under $250 but maybe I can do better without breaking my budget. I do appreciate your advice though. I'll have to call when the time comes. Thanks everyone!
I will be happy to help if interested, we have some great options for under $250. Shoot me a PM if interested.
RidersDiscount is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
ExpatJohnny
Back Marker

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a pair of the SMX 5 boots for street and occasional track day use. My question is around what temperature does it become uncomfortable without the ventilation? I don't particularly want the black ones but they only come vented in black. Its generally between 55 and 75 year round where I live. Thanks in advance for any input!
Get the vented, I've worn them in over 100's F and worn them in 40's F. They work great, when it's hot you won't notice a ton of air, more like your foot just breathes better. Same thing when it's cold, and as long as the rest of you is geared up you are fine.

Good Luck!
ExpatJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in