What brand race bodywork? - Page 3 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Racing & Stunts > Track Days

View Poll Results: Which is better?
AirTech Streamlining 6 28.57%
Hotbodies 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
GS220
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r
Re: What brand race bodywork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean With It View Post
damn...lotta shit talkin on Air-tech

I got a full airtech set. You've seen my crashes and highsides lol...haven't replaced any peice yet. Did a mild patch job to some small holes...that's about it.

And that's after the bike slid from the turn-in cone at T1 Thunderbolt to the gravel pit

I think James' set was Sharkskinz or Hotbodies.... I could fold it up and put it in my pocket...one little crash in the wet at like 20 mph and another FAST lowside at T7 and he's lookin for a new tail and front.

I'm definitely going to continue using Airtech on my bike.....whenever I need to actually buy a new piece LOL
I said before in a previous post in this thread that I really liked my Airtech bodywork....You can bring the horse to water but you can't make it drink.
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #42
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2

its a vortex upper fairing bracket. the other sets of bodywork i had fit fine, and much better.

im just really disappointed in hotbodies. it seems almost everything motorcycle related is outrageously expensive and there is a lot of expensive junk out there.
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #43
GS220
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
its a vortex upper fairing bracket. the other sets of bodywork i had fit fine, and much better.

im just really disappointed in hotbodies. it seems almost everything motorcycle related is outrageously expensive and there is a lot of expensive junk out there.
Yeah man it is an expensive hobby for sure......Here are some pics of my old Hotbodies, they were for my cbr 954, the fit really wasn't that bad.

The front broke off the fairing bracket after a crash, but was fixed by a big ass washer.

The first thing I do with new race bodywork is mount the windscreen, my newest Pit-eck bw was a little off but not too bad. Maybe try to take the front off the stay and see if the windscreen fits.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
600k2
Lifetime Premium

i took the upper off and i can flex it to fit a windscreen. the cut out for the windscreen needs a lot of work for it to fit nicely. i have two other "no name" brand uppers that are damaged and both fit windscreens perfect. i will need to get the windscreen mounted and then try to mark the line that needs to be cut and remove quite a bit of fiberglass from the upper to get a good fit. its very inconsistent around the windscreen.

i dont like how your upper and windscreen meet together. mine looks worse than that now, some of the windscreen bubble is above or below the cut out with the upper flexed heavily.

this does not fit well at all and i am again, very disappointed.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #45
GS220
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
i took the upper off and i can flex it to fit a windscreen. the cut out for the windscreen needs a lot of work for it to fit nicely. i have two other "no name" brand uppers that are damaged and both fit windscreens perfect. i will need to get the windscreen mounted and then try to mark the line that needs to be cut and remove quite a bit of fiberglass from the upper to get a good fit. its very inconsistent around the windscreen.

i dont like how your upper and windscreen meet together. mine looks worse than that now, some of the windscreen bubble is above or below the cut out with the upper flexed heavily.

I paid $350 for an upper, lower, and a superbike tail, so I really can't complain, I know it isn't oem perfect but for what I paid I didn't expect it to be, with minor adjustments here and there the fit is ok......

Also when you finally get the windscreen on your holes that mount to the stay may not line up anymore, you may have to drill new ones or tweak your stay a bit.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #46
TOEJAM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel

Motorcycle: 06 R1 Raven; '07 Ducati 1098S; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
Armour Bodies
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4916

I have learned that bodywork is like alot of things, you get what you pay for. I am on the same set of AB that has been crashed on 3 times. Minor repairs, repaint and looks like new.

I have used it on several different bikes and never had any issues with fitment.
Quote:
I got my Hotbodies today. I have a feeling I just lost $500 and this bodywork is going straight to the dumpster.

If I do get it to actually fit the bike without breaking it more than I have already, i will not bother to even paint it because the bodywork is not even worth it.

Fit is absolutely horrible. I think I might just throw them away and call it an expensive learning experience.
Im not even going to say it....but there is a certain phrase im thinking...

Sorry about your shitty experience and (potential) loss.
TOEJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
Jsancpd
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: Street:2005 GSXR-750 Track:2006 GSXR 600

http://www.shop.superbikestore.net/O...rk-OR-S667.htm

Optimal Race plastics.
Damn they went up in price, I should have ordered them a week or two ago.
Jsancpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #48
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsancpd View Post
http://www.shop.superbikestore.net/O...rk-OR-S667.htm

Optimal Race plastics.
Damn they went up in price, I should have ordered them a week or two ago.
I rechecked the thread and clicked that link.

$415 is cheaper than the $500 I spent on the Hotbodies. Must have gone down in price? Great deal there!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #49
bacolmm
Back Marker

Hotbodies 2-for-1 deal FTW!

Last edited by bacolmm; 11-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.
bacolmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #50
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

HOtbodies as I told you depends on the year.

The older bikes, which are older molds, dont seem to fit as well.

My newer gen stuff fit fine, and was kevlar reinforced and everything

Should have mounted the windscreen FIRST though. Always. Then mount the upper to the lower OFF the bike. Then put it around the bike with the windscreen on, and lower attached to upper, then mount upper at mirrors, then mount lower at the back of the bike, then work the middle.

That is the only way to be sure everyything fits together as good as possible.

As for bodywork. I have used Catalyst (phenomenal stuff but expensive) as well as Sharkskins (same $$$). I have used E-racing/optimal and it was heavy and brittle. I have used airtech, which was also heavy and brittle. I used godfathers back in the day and it was about like the hotbodies...

Hotbodies is likely the best middle of the road bang for the buck.

Do you want an AMA pro, show quality fitment and paintjob? You will need to spend the money on high end stuff. And even then you likely will have to do some minor filling and sanding here and there.

You want shit that fits pretty good, crashes pretty good, and paints plenty good but not perfect, but also doesnt cost you an arm and a leg? Hotbodies fits that description.

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #51
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:

If you are talking the red bike right above this post, if that windscreen fitment bothers you, you need Catalyst or Sharksins. You are looking for perfection.

You wont find it likely even with those brands
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement