Strange engine noise : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
SykomantiS
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 K6
Question Strange engine noise

Hi all,

So about two days ago I noticed a new and worrisome noise coming from the engine-it's a high-is pitched whirring noise. It's difficult to describe in words. It's most notable once the engine has warmed up- especially once passed the point where the radiator fan kicks in. It's most notable from around 3000 rpm upwards. I have no idea what it is, but my dad says it sounds like bearing.

If anyone can identify the sound or give some advice as to what might be the cause, please help. I've taken a short video clip that hopefully highlights the noise that I'm talking about. Note the radiator fan is also on in the clip- so just ignore that as a noise source.

Thanks in advance.
SykomantiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Motionelco
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750
Sup bro, unable to look at video ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1353519586.303074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Motionelco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
SykomantiS
Back Marker

Re: Strange engine noise

That's strange. It shows ok from my side?

Hope this works?:
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Ken7-1000
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 1000

Tell Dad bearings internal to the engine don't whine when they go away, they knock. Bearings in trans, etc. usually grind when they go.

This has the sound of an accessory. It doesn't seem connected to engine rpm so that rules out something driven by the engine, like alternator. Open the fuel tank and see if that changes the sound. Check your fuel tank breather vents for blockage. My money's on the electric fuel pump. You might pull it out and clean it's filter out, as cloggage is no uncommon on these things, when a few miles get on. Mine was completely occluded with about 6500 miles on my 07.
Ken7-1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

Cct?
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
SykomantiS
Back Marker

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. If it's not a bearing then it's good news (I guess). I'll check out the fuel tank, filter and pump thanks.

Regarding the cam chain tensioner, it was the first thing I checked. Removed the tensioner, reset in and installed it again. Turned the motor by hand and I heard it go to max tension. So I don't think it's that. After I did that, the engine actually had a rattle when cold that it didn't have prior. But the rattle quickly subsides when the motor heats up a little.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Ken7-1000
Rookie

CCTs rattle on and are particularly noticeable when you change engine revs or load so, definitely not the answer here. Don't just randomly pull stuff as you may cause problems rather than solve them.

Since you're going in anyway, you might also want to check if your airbox is seated correctly and tight on the TBs and that there's no vacuum leaks or disconnected hoses.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Ken7-1000
Rookie

You can also first check pump pressure by bodging a cheap fuel pressure tester in between pump and rail. Should be making about 40 pounds of pressure.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
SykomantiS
Back Marker

Bit of an update. I checked the generator/alternator- it's still like new. Also had the airbox off and the engine cover open. Couldn't see much and didn't actually help though- reason was a fellow at work said the cam chain wears on the gears- luckily I had a rather large bag of salt handy... :

Apart from completely disassembling the engine in search of whatever is making that noise, I still have no idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
TeflonTrout
Ass Packer

Motorcycle: '99 GSX-R750-SOLD for '13 Kawasaki KLR-650

Did you take his advice with the salt, or hit him with it? I would have recommended both.

If it changes in pitch immediately in sync with the engine as you rev it, it's mechanically driven- alternator, timing chain (both of which you checked), water pump, oil pump, or possibly even a vacuum leak sometimes, though those typically lag a little bit behind the mechanical parts noises, at least on car sized engines.

If it changes a bit, but lags behind the engine a little bit, see if it changes pitch when you go from all lights off to brights on when the bike's rpms are stable- for example, rev it to 2 to 3k, hold it steady, and toggle the high beams while listening for a pitch change.

If it changes in time with you hitting the brights, then it's gotta be an electric motor. Only ones on a bike are the fan and the fuel pump. If it turns out to be none of those, congratulations! You've caught a gremlin.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in