Chattering carb piston valve? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
cejatag1
Squid

Motorcycle: 98' Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD
Exclamation Chattering carb piston valve?

since the day i bought my bike, it has always ran a little rough. Most of the time it runs lean and i'll get the occasional lean pop, but the biggest issue has been that while coming to a stop the bike will sometime die out or sputter and drop to very low rpms (to wich i have to blip to keep the bike on). It will normally idle pretty well @ about 1100-1200 rpms. If I try to raise the idle i the rpms begin to hang at around 3k.

... So finally as i was riding home the bike just gave out like it ran out of gas so i decided it was finally time to clean the carbs out. I found nothing too dirty aside from a bit of rust powder... finally after cleaning them i re-installed them and decided to start my bike up without the airbox. Strangely, the piston valve on the carb closest to the throttle cable (#1? i believe ) was chattering and kept shaking as the bike was running. I took them off again, checked everything looked fine, any ideas of what may be going on?

my bike: 98' SRAD 600, Rs-3 slip on Yoshi pipe, stock air filter, not sure if it has been jetted but the jet sizes are 132 on the outers & 130 on the inner carbs.
cejatag1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125
Re: Chattering carb piston valve?

Time for ccmhunt ...
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
LynnM
Club Racer

Start by doing a carb sync
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
ccmhunt
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 96 GSXR750 (parts), ZX7/9RR F-USA AMA SBK, 96 ZX7RR STREET, 96 WSBK ECKL ZX7RR

And, if it's been like that long enough, you may have considerable wear on the slide. After a sync, swap slide with another cylinder. Or get with me, I have tons....
ccmhunt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
cejatag1
Squid

Motorcycle: 98' Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD

i may have to get one off you ccm. Ill pm you. I bench synced the carbs a but its still running really crappy, and rpms are hanging again.. there goes my only vehicle again
cejatag1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125

Or send the whole carbs to ccmhunt and let him work his magic. He really is worth it
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
ccmhunt
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 96 GSXR750 (parts), ZX7/9RR F-USA AMA SBK, 96 ZX7RR STREET, 96 WSBK ECKL ZX7RR

Why thank you sir
ccmhunt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

I'm suprised we have to keep saying this....It should be common knowledge now!!!
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in