Buy part worn ex track day tyres for street use?? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Chassis, Suspension & Tire Setup

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
250champion
Squid

Motorcycle: K8 750 Orange/black
Buy part worn ex track day tyres for street use??

I`m in a dilemma, just brought a k8 750 but needs tyres. I use it mainly in the dry in warm/hot weather in England. Should i buy ex track day tyres or brand new street tyres? whats the best grip for the price?
250champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
DemonRR
say my name bish

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600 track/some street
Re: Buy part worn ex track day tyres for street use??

depends on the used track tires. are they made to use with warmers, any excessive blueing, i wouldnt ever use used tires, period. but i do sell my power race take-offs.
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

What does excessive blueing indicate, out of curiosity?
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
250champion
Squid

thinking of pirelli diablo supercorsa or michelin power ones
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
MacBayne
hand-eye coordinator

Motorcycle: K6-600

DOT take offs are probably the most economical. i wouldn't think that you would have to worry about blueing on the tire, because chances are, the person selling the tire only used it a couple of times. blueing is the result of a LOT of heat cycles and the rubber is hardening. if you are buying something like pirelli diablo supercorsa, those are a street/track tire, so they are designed to go through as many cycles as any street tire you buy new.

fwiw, i have a set of takeoff pirelli dragons (discontinued, but the supercorsas replace that model) that came off of my track bike and will be thrown on the street ride over the winter.

Service Manual for free: www.servicemanualsgsxr.com
Best Prices on Parts: 888-784-4327 Ext. 214 (www.sportbiketrackgear.com)
MacBayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
250champion
Squid

i have seen the diablo supercorsa sc with only one heatcycle so should be ok
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armi View Post
What does excessive blueing indicate, out of curiosity?

The blue is the oils of the rubber leeching out after heat cycling. It can indicate the tire is or has become hard.

Using race takeoffs is a mixed thing. They are typically far cheaper than new tires. But they are also often not ideal. They are not designed to be run on streets, and as such they dont handle heat cycles, the chemicals, nor rain as well as street tirs. They also often have FAR less usable life left in them, and their wear will be accelerated compared to proper street tires.

So while they are cheaper, they often dont work as well, and wear out faster so they sometimes are a false economy.

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
TAgsxr1k
Rookie

Motorcycle: TAgsxr1k

Get a street tire as they have a higher silica content and this equates to faster warmup and better wet traction than dot race tires. Race tires have higher cabon black content for outright dry grip.
TAgsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
250champion
Squid

thanks guys, street tyres it is then
Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Rdeezy25
Rookie

Motorcycle: Black k8 gsx-R 600

get dunlop q2's. I hear those tires over there are different than the ones over here for the better. Heats up faster and are stickier. Plenty of life too. just my $.02
Rdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
grant123
Novice

I often run ex track supercorsa's for fast road riding. A few things to consider.

They love to throw up stones inc the front so can leave stone chips all over the belly pan.
Naturally they are very soft compared to your typical road tire so don't expect to get much more than 500miles from a rear.
I wouldn't go for the 180 60 17s that are floating about on ebay as they through your geometry out
grant123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant123 View Post
I wouldn't go for the 180 60 17s that are floating about on ebay as they through your geometry out
I wouldn't go that far. They do change the geometry but that is nit to say it is a bad thing.

I make geometry changes all the time but when I went from the 180/55 to the 180/60 I made zero changes to the bike initially and the bike handled great.

The 180/60 is a much better tire. Better compounds and better carcass.

But none of that really matters for street riding anyway. You likely arent going fast enough to matter
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
sir stackalot
Rookie

Motorcycle: k9 750 x2, k9 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250champion View Post
I use it mainly in the dry in warm/hot weather
minimal lap takeoffs will be great.

Im on sc1's ,mainly with 180/60 rear, just make sure you build heat into them before beating on them. Dont be tempted to run high psi like a typical street tyre either.
sir stackalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
scrapman
Squid

if you are going to ride over the winter even just on dry days you need road tyres as cold roads will not let sport tyres heat up to temp needed.
if you are going to wait for the warm weather metzeler racetec k2's are the answer.
you will get loads of scrubs on ebay once the race season starts again.these are road legal and sticky. just make sure you can see good pics of the full tread before you buy.
winter tyres i would recommend are metzler roadtec Z8's or mitchelin pilot road 2's.
i recently fitted pilot road 3's to my gixer 1000 after using road 2's and find them not so good as they move about a bit under power and load.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Moto_Joe

It is funny how things are different in different areas of the country or even different countries.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone using Metzeler tires over here at all. I used to use them some on the street, but you wont find anyone even using them on the street anymore

Then in some areas everyone swears by michelin, then others pirellis, then others Dunlops.

know what that says?.... they are ALL better tires than 99% of riders can use anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement