Why does 40mph seem so damn fast? - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Riding Tech

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Buster Hymen
Only Here to LOL & +1....

Motorcycle: K7 750 Crackbike
Re: Why does 40mph seem so damn fast?

A double bubble windscreen will help.
Buster Hymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #22
mdportorock
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogday View Post
Being overwhelmed by the sensation of speed is a classic symptom of not looking far enough ahead too. Know how when you're driving fence posts far into the distance look like they're barely moving, but if you look at the ones right beside the car they're just a passing blur? If you're not looking far enough ahead you get an amplified sense of speed. And do a search for helmet fitment on Youtube. There are some good videos that I wish I'd seen before I got my first lid.
Cool Thanks!
mdportorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
mdportorock
Novice

[QUOTE=wheelsofsteel;5768661]All of the above is fantastic & useful advice! If I where to add my $0.02 I would say spend some time on the freeway &/or longer straighter roads you know ever inch of. I'm not saying stop the parking lot practice! I think the sooner you begin to be calm & more comfortable at higher(highway) speeds you will build up your confidence. also help get used to the noises, wind & traffic. Of coarse DON'T do anything you are not comfortable with doing yet! The fact is that you will be driving over 40mph more often than parking lot speeds, especially with a nice new bike.
Sounds like your doing the right things & asking the right questions so keep putting the miles on & it will only get easier & more enjoyable
Happy riding....

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app[/QUOTE

I'm getting used to the speeds already. I have been riding on the streets the last few days on my own and It's really not as bad as I thought. Last night I went to my Costco parking lot then I took her and rode around on my local roads and had her up to 55 mph. Was not bad at all but putting the shield down on my helmet helps a bunch. I had it open at first because it kept getting fogged up and I couldn't see. Also, getting low behind the windshield helps lol.

Thanks man.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
kevin.g
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K6 600

another thing you can do to get a little lower behind the windshield is scoot your ass back in the seat a little bit and actually lay on the tank. it's comfy on the highway I switch between ducking and sitting as high up as I can and letting the wind hold me up as much as possible for long highway hauls.

oh, and you definitely want that visor down at anything like, say... 20+?
I remember one time I really cracked the throttle open from a stop with my visor halfway up. Boy, was that a mistake. The visor grabbed the wind like a sail and damn near beheaded me.

P.S. Nice bike

"If you fantasize about being shot from a cannon, we'd recommend riding a literbike as a marginally safer alternative."

Last edited by kevin.g; 10-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
kevin.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
oopsmyeye
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: '12 750 GSXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdportorock View Post
I think it might be the wind but why does it seem like I'm going so damn fast when I'm only doing like 35 40mph? I'll be honest, I'm 30 and just bought my first bike k5 750 20th anniversary. I took the training before I got my license bought the bike and then did my research. I admit I did this backwards and maybe I should of bought a slower bike but It's to late to look back now. I haven't done anything stupid and I used to ride little dirt bike in my teens but that's the extent of my experience. I'm practicing at my local Costco parking lot at night and I'm feeling better about riding and more comfy. Still trying to get my turns\steering down. Any tips? Just seems that the wind makes it seem like I'm going faster than I really am or maybe I need to lay on my tank a little more.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this thread.
The only time it's "too late to look back" is after you've crashed and are permanently injured. IMHO, sell it and snag a 250 or something like that before it actually is too late to look back.

Also, the Arai helmets have the lock on the front that can be slid over a tad to crack the visor so it still lets a little air through but safely keeps the visor down.

That being said... oh to be a noob again, discovering speed and the openness again. Reminds me of early in high school when a friend announced his new discovery... that white stuff comes out of your penis if you play with it too long.

"I learned... that it is foolish to scold. I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence."
oopsmyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #26
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsmyeye View Post
Reminds me of early in high school when a friend announced his new discovery... that white stuff comes out of your penis if you play with it too long.
so you liked to play with your friends penis in highschool
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #27
dylanjacobus
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee2989 View Post
so you liked to play with your friends penis in highschool
Apparently he did and got sperms in his eye. Hence his screen name.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
tlee2989
Mr Creepy McCreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanjacobus View Post
Apparently he did and got sperms in his eye. Hence his screen name.
i didn't even pay attention to his screen name that makes it even better OOPSMYEYE
tlee2989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
kevin.g
Club Racer

I believe his username is because he has one eye from a childhood accident iirc
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
dylanjacobus
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.g View Post
I believe his username is because he has one eye from a childhood accident iirc
If that's true then I am a dick! Whoops. Sorry.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
kevin.g
Club Racer

I'll let him comment on that but i know he has to have a sense of humor about it with a username like that...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
red_bandit
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyork42 View Post
After you get used to it 100 mph will feel like 50 mph.. It is just too damn easy to go fast and hard to go slow IMO.
Yeah, this.

Once you take your first Long distance trip, you'll get used to it.
red_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
mdportorock
Novice

Yup, you guys were right. I got a little over 100 miles so far and I guess it was just my nerves at first. Been driving all around my area and i def got used to all the wind. I love riding my bike. I still haven't done anything crazy or taken her past 75 but It's a blast to ride. Low speed maneuvering still sucks but I'll get better and I still need to work on my counter steering but I'm getting there.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #34
kevin.g
Club Racer

When I go on long road trips down the interstate I start finding an indicated 90 feeling slow... but mind you that's with my speedo ~12% off and the cars booking it too.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
Misti Hurst
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdportorock View Post
I think it might be the wind but why does it seem like I'm going so damn fast when I'm only doing like 35 40mph? I'll be honest, I'm 30 and just bought my first bike k5 750 20th anniversary. I took the training before I got my license bought the bike and then did my research. I admit I did this backwards and maybe I should of bought a slower bike but It's to late to look back now. I haven't done anything stupid and I used to ride little dirt bike in my teens but that's the extent of my experience. I'm practicing at my local Costco parking lot at night and I'm feeling better about riding and more comfy. Still trying to get my turns\steering down. Any tips? Just seems that the wind makes it seem like I'm going faster than I really am or maybe I need to lay on my tank a little more.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed for this thread.
Most likely your visual skills and getting used to the feeling of being out in the open. As a few others have said, when you don't look far enough ahead when you are riding then your sensation of speed goes up and it feels like you are going much faster than you really are. The same is true if you allow your vision to narrow down and kind of tunnel.

It is a really good idea to work on improving your visual skills by challenging yourself to look farther ahead. Instead of looking 10-20ft in front, push yourself to look 30-40ft. Then push your visual skills out wider and see more of the total road around you and you will start to see how the sensation of speed changes.

Good luck and ride safe! (you should also look into taking a more advanced riding school, I might know a good one )

Misti

mistihurst.com
motomom.ca
Misti Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Misery
Squid

Motorcycle: 2012 GSX-R 750

40 has always felt like 10 to me. It's like you can jump off and run along side, or jump off and ditch it in the yard like a kid on a bicycle! lol
Misery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #37
Gixerfan78
Riding at my own pace

Motorcycle: K3 GSX-R 1000

I don't want to start a new thread but basically I feel the same, I just purchase a 93 750 from a member in here, I didn't join til, I bought it and was surprised my bike was here, long story short I got on the freeway for the first time today and was scared shitless, and it was very hard for me to turn as he road curves plus the wind made me feel I was gona fly off the bike, I've ridden before in my teen days but never owned a bike I'm 35 now I will be on for a ride early morning to more at the DMV testing location to train my self then put to a nice open road, no free ways. Feel free to add any tips for me. I'm 6'8"; 220 lbs am I overgrown on a such bike. Any help will be appreciated.
Gixerfan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #38
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

40 mph in a parking lot is fast.
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

One of the things I've done when I was in (ok I still am) my practice phase of learning on my Ninja 250 I would spend about an hour or so in a parking lot, several times a month. I'd practice going in circles to the left and to the right. Then after about 18 mos on the 250, commuting etc. I got a deal on an SRAD 750. Rode that for a while, and didn't "practice" as much as I should. Now on my heavy ass TLR, I try to get to the parking lot at least once a month going in slow tight circles, I'm working on practicing BP a bit while on my way to work, there's a handful of back road gentle sweeper curves that rarely if ever has any traffic. Speed limit is 40, and I keep the speed between 35-40 in the turns, trying to get an easy lean in. Makes the commute more interesting IMO.
Listen, fuckface - if you want us bother helping you, at least have the fucking common courtesy to take that little extra time to make your post fairly readable. If you can't see the reason in that, fuck on over to www.gsxr.com...
Surrounded by Utards.
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
Eli01R600
Squid

Motorcycle: 2001 GSXR 600

I'm in the same position you are in. I just started riding about 3 weeks ago, and I'm still learning. My first time on the highway was I was definitely scared, but it is getting a little better now. But the one thing I have learned is DO NOT LEAN ON THE HANDLEBARS, squeeze that gas tank to support your body. One time i was coming to a stop light, and was leaning on the throttle, and thank god I Had my clutch pulled in, because i think i red lined the engine, that would of been really bad. And now my arms and forearms are not sore. But listen to these people, they have great advice. And, one more thing, watch that video on YouTube, twist of the wrist 2,i learned a lot from that video.
Eli01R600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement