Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences? - Page 4 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #61
bondgaard
Novice

Motorcycle: 1000 K5 road full Micron, PC + 1000 K6 track, Cordoba quickshift, termigioni +1 rgv 250 93 standart + Aprilia rs 250 track, Arrows, Cougar valves, porting +87 TS 250 + 2000 KX 85
Re: Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences?

you can run a 530 chain on 520 sprocket, right? Well we are waiting....
bondgaard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #62
fatlip
Lifetime Premium

Yes itll work but u will destroy the sprocket real quick.
fatlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #63
bondgaard
Novice

Motorcycle: 1000 K5 road full Micron, PC + 1000 K6 track, Cordoba quickshift, termigioni +1 rgv 250 93 standart + Aprilia rs 250 track, Arrows, Cougar valves, porting +87 TS 250 + 2000 KX 85

I dont see why? space between links is same, just more air between plates and teeth.
Go go go
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #64
SVS
drunk texts OG and Oldfart

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondgaard View Post
I dont see why? space between links is same, just more air between plates and teeth.
Go go go
Bad idea - sprocket won't last long. The chain will move sideways, increasing wear greatly, both on the sprocket and chain. Just do it right and get the correct sprocket now, they are cheap.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #65
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

The problem with a 520 on a 530 chain is that the forces are no centered on the rollers. Imagine say taking a 2' stick and grab the outside with your hands and let someone push in the middle of the stick to break it. Not too hard. Now take a 1' stick and grab the outside with your hands and let someone grab the middle and push on it to snap it. It's very sturdy. Same principle. You want the sprocket to center the force over most of the roller, but to have just enough room it isn't touching the side. So it takes up most of the roller, but won't wear on the side plates.

Check us out on Facebook too.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #66
bondgaard
Novice

Ok, mummy, that make sence. thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #67
rotamonkey
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 k1

KK did you manage to take these for a ride yet?

Do all of these CF wheels run non-standard rotor/ sprocket patterns?
rotamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #68
T.R.E
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 K7

Lightweight wheels are always a great addition to any bike... The wheels you got are almost as light as wheels can be,judjing fromt the pictures with the wheels on the scales...

My PVM 6-spoke magnesium wheels are a bit heavier in total,but the front one is lighter than the Dymag,while the rear one is almost 400 gramms heavier...

Stock K7 wheels are 12+ KG so you'll save a almost 4.5-5 KGs if using CF or magnesium wheels...

I'd like to see some pictures of your bike as I'm doing something similar with my K7 1000,and over the winter it's expected to go under 160 Kgs without fuel...Maybe we can share some information
T.R.E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #69
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^I think that BST, Dymag, and Rotobox all use the Marchesini type A pattern: 5xM10 holes/100mm B.C./76mm centering hole.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #70
King Kenny
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K6 & K8

Sorry guys - havent done jack yet. You can blame 12hr days in work for that Really need to get these wheels on for my own sanity too!

Need to get my hands on a sprocket for the K6 so I can try them out on that ASAP.

FROM DYMAG:

Sprockets for Dymag wheels are widely available from Talon, Renthal, B&C and many more sprocket manufacturers, just make sure they are to fit year 2000> as previous to that the PCD and bore size was different, you can always order spares through us as we carry some stock and can have others delivered usually next day.

The sprockets use a 6 hole design for Dymag wheels only from what I gather above.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy these sprockets from the net with good prices & delivery options to Australia?
King Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #71
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^That's a complication. JB-Power uses the 6 bolt pattern, as can be seen here:

However I also have a pic of their wheels with a five bolt pattern as used by Yoshimura. MAYBE what's going on there is that the AMA tightened up what is allowable in 2010.

Honda (and perhaps others) has used a 6 bolt pattern on their CBR1000. But I don't know if it's dimensionally the same. Driven is another manufacturer of 6 hole sprockets. Their Honda part is 5032.

It seems that your best bet is to measure the bolt circle and the hub center diameters and go from there. The offset from the hub mounting face to the centerline of the sprocket teeth is also important.

Last edited by BillV; 11-21-2012 at 02:08 PM.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #72
King Kenny
Rookie

Have a Talon 530, 43T sprocket ordered for my K6 – hopefully will get it by the weekend but it's being shipped from the UK to OZ at Xmas time so who knows....
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #73
Dj Rattex
Rookie

Motorcycle: Gsx-r 1000 K7 (obviously)

Throwing my 2c in the pot here.

Local guy was running BST's on the street. He went up to our home away from home being the '22' in the Eastern Transvaal as we know it. The '22' is similar to your dragons tail. In 22 kilometers there's something like 80 different turns or something like that, I don't bother counting. I just go there to ride the damn road and enjoy it for what it is.

Back to the story:

The local guy at about 200 km's per hour hits a pothole, eberything feels fine until a few bends later tips into a right hander, he feels a shudder from the rear and the next moment he gets dumped. Not sure about specifics.

The rider following him saw the rear rim come apart right before the local rider went down. Sure, they shouldve stopped to check the rims and make sure all was fine after hitting a pothole. But on the same token, a standard rim might buckle but won't come apart.

Another local racer bought a fully fettled K5 with carbon rims, raced the bike hard for few seasons and then sold the bike. He kept the rims before selling them on to someone else, the new owner had them checked and found that the rear rim was cracked in multiple places. Most likely comes down to poor fitment.

This is by no means a bad reflection of the products but most likely a reflection of how aware one muct be when changing tire's and using carbon rims on street.

Having said that: a set of BST's still tickle my heart strings on a nicely put together bike.

Food for thought:

The BST's come from South Africa, they're made less than 30 kms from where I stay. Its cheaper for me to import them from the states than to buy them here locally.

Screwed up much?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #74
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

That's CF for you. Not easy to check for cracks or fatigue and it has a propensity for catastrophic failure.

Magnesium or aluminium alloy usually shows signs of impact, such as a dent which gives you a visual warning that it's been stressed a little too much.
kwaka10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #75
rotamonkey
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Rattex View Post
Throwing my 2c in the pot here.

Food for thought:

The BST's come from South Africa, they're made less than 30 kms from where I stay. Its cheaper for me to import them from the states than to buy them here locally.

Screwed up much?
Yeah its all good to support local but now they are shipping tyres from the states to our door in Oz for close to 50% less than what we can buy them for in store... Places you in a position, everyone says buy local but if you ask me getting 2 sets for the price of one makes it real hard to justify.
rotamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #76
Mike Edwards
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
^That's a complication. JB-Power uses the 6 bolt pattern, as can be seen here:

However I also have a pic of their wheels with a five bolt pattern as used by Yoshimura. MAYBE what's going on there is that the AMA tightened up what is allowable in 2010.
JB Power make their wheels to whatever spec. you like so there is no standard as far as they are concerned.
Mike Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
Dj Rattex
Rookie

Motorcycle: Gsx-r 1000 K7 (obviously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotamonkey View Post
Yeah its all good to support local but now they are shipping tyres from the states to our door in Oz for close to 50% less than what we can buy them for in store... Places you in a position, everyone says buy local but if you ask me getting 2 sets for the price of one makes it real hard to justify.
I'm all for supporting local, but local has to do the same IMHO. Motorcycles in general are expensive in general. Add in extras like CF rims and it becomes horribly expemsive! I'd much rather support where I get the same back. Believe it or not, I get better service via mail from the states than face to face with a local guy.

I have learnt something from this thread though.

Thanks Guys!
Dj Rattex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #78
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotamonkey View Post
Most of the shops in Australia are still trying to gouge on tyres but some are getting the message and are almost competitive with their super duper lowest prices. $380 vs $310(US) a set fitted. If you add GST you can see they are not far off. But it's rare many offer that price.
kwaka10r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #79
King Kenny
Rookie

Just back a week from a month’s Xmas vacation & finally managed to get the Dymags Carbon Fibre CA5’s on the bike – sorry for the wait Guys! The 530 sprocket I needed only arrived a few days before I left on vacation so I had no time to do it before Xmas...

The wheels look great on the bike. Don’t mind the road dirt grime on my K6 – she gets used daily & loves it. There is no indication of what way to fit the front wheel so I hope I have done it correctly if it even matter – will have to confirm with Dymag on this. It looks ‘right’ anyways... Transferring over the brakes disks & changing the rear sprocket was as simple as would be on stock wheels & everything fitted beautifully. The fit/finish is not as elegant as the stock wheel at the hub as these hubs are no doubt generic to allow them to work with many bikes. I test fitted the rims only before changing the tyres to see if anything was missing/wrong but everything seemed fine so I proceeded to the tyres.

The fitting process was astonishingly simple. The tyre literally slipped on also by hand with almost no mechanical effort besides a bit of coaxing by 2 mechanical levers (I fit my tyres with a manual break breaker tool & manual static wheel balancer). With the tyres sufficiently lubed up the tyre bead actually pushed past the rim when I was trying to slip the 2nd bead over the rim – I actually thought that maybe the Dymag rims where too small & I may have been delivered a set of 16.5inch wheels! This was also with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3’s which are a lot stiffer than Turns out its a design feature of these wheels with an extra deep wheel well that allows the bead to sit well recessed into the opposite side of the one you are trying to lever over the rim. Balancing was a piece of cake too with a nice flat surface to place my adhesive weights. I never checked to see if the wheels where statically balanced before I fitted the tyres though – my bad. Am sure they’re pretty good though as I had to add a similar amount a weights compared to the stock wheels I transferred my tyres off. The rear wheel comes with captive bearing which require not spacers so is a doddle to fit but the front still needs the throttle side spacer to work in conjunction with the axle shoulder so it a bit harder to fit than normal. This is because neither wheel comes with the stock style bearing dust seals so there’s nothing to hold this spacer in place when fitting the wheel. Also I have my reservation about how much dust & grime will get at the Dymag bearings too – we shall see later.

As far as riding impressions go I have only ridden 15km to work at under 100km so far so these are very early impressions only. The effort to flick from side to side is noticeably reduced as is turn in speed compared to before. The bike is a bit fidgety on the highway now from the reduced stability given from the higher inertia stock wheels so will take a bit of riding recalibration to be able to keep it on a steady course. The suspension seems to feel a bit more supple too no doubt a product of having a significant amount less unsprung mass to deal with. The bike seems to get off the line a little quicker, easier & with less throttle too & the braking seems slightly better as if the front is pushing a little bit less. No idea about wheelie prone-ness yet or stability in corners but that will come as I plan to do a little ride though a tight & twisty parklands area on the way home. The bearing feel smooth also & the wheels feel totally solid – will see how this translates at higher speeds later.

That’s all for now guys – will have more info in a few days....
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #80
Harperms
Novice

Make sure these baby's are loaded with ceramic hybred bearings. This URL shows BSTs with hybreds:
Amazing.
Harperms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in