I'm UK Bound : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Anything Goes

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

Motorcycle: K9 600
I'm UK Bound

Found out I received orders to RAF Mildenhall for 3 years. I will be there sometime next June. I was wondering if any of the Britts that frequent around here could tell me about track days there & what fees look like. Also, what classes do I have to take before I can ride?

Mr. Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R
Re: I'm UK Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR6Mac View Post
Found out I received orders to RAF Mildenhall for 3 years. I will be there sometime next June. I was wondering if any of the Britts that frequent around here could tell me about track days there & what fees look like. Also, what classes do I have to take before I can ride?

Trackdays run at between about 69 for Oulton Park near me up to about 150 for a Ron Haslam Track day at Silverstone, there are loads of tracks within a few hours of where you will be.

I'm almost certain you can drive/ride for 6months before having to do anything about your licence but I'll phone the DVLA(our licencing authority) on Monday and find out exactly what you need to do to drive both a car and motorcycle on a American license and find out if you being in the military grants you any special privilege.

Our motorcycle licensing laws are changing early next year and are age specific, so I ask your age?
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

I am 28, will turn 29 that July. I know there will be special military stuff ill have to do to ride over there. I know to to drive Ill have to take a class on base once there.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

No problem, I'll let you know what the DVLA say on Monday about anything else you might need to do other than the military stuff.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Fiddy_Ryder
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.

dont let the door knob hit you in the ass on the way out.
Fiddy_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Spoke to the DVLA today, you can drive/ride on your American license for 12months then you would unfortunately have to go through the normal procedure that any UK resident would have to.

If you wanted to both ride and drive you would have to get a provisional license then:

For car:

Take theory test.
Take at least 1 car driving lesson.
Take driving test.

For bike:

Take a different theory test.
Have bike lessons(usually 2 so you can use their bike for tests).
Take Module 1 test.
Take Mod 2 test.

You are looking at paying around 1200-1300 for both car and bike.

That's the DVLA stance which sounds fucking stupid to me, your base CO should be able to sort something out for you though because like I said that just sounds stupid to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

holy shit, 1200 quid? plus VAT and the other costs associated with being there....damn
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Quote:

Congrats on your assignment to the 100th Air Refueling Wing.

One item of interest for you Mac is the MSF course. If it has been more than 3 years since your last training, you will not be allowed to operate a motorcycle until your new training is complete.

The frequency and availability of student slots for MSF are limited. It is suggested for newcomers to complete it stateside before PCSing to the UK.

Also, I'm sure you have the Motorcycle Endorsement on your stateside license but if you don't, get it done. Obtaining a full British Driving License is a lengthy and expensive process.

Not sure about the rules regarding engine size for your bike. You may/may not be restricted to a 25 kW bike for 2 years.

Lots to do before you get on the track. Good luck!

Ed
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
hamill12
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr srad 1000. rd 500 ypvs

If your just looking to ride on track some of the tracks do not require you to have a licence to ride. I recently did a track day at Donnington & when I went to present my licence I was told not required. The cost of the track day was 145.
hamill12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
MechaniX
Rookie

Motorcycle: Soozookee 2k1 GSX-R 600 and 2k5 DRZ 400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainyboy View Post
Spoke to the DVLA today, you can drive/ride on your American license for 12months then you would unfortunately have to go through the normal procedure that any UK resident would have to.

If you wanted to both ride and drive you would have to get a provisional license then:

For car:

Take theory test.
Take at least 1 car driving lesson.
Take driving test.

For bike:

Take a different theory test.
Have bike lessons(usually 2 so you can use their bike for tests).
Take Module 1 test.
Take Mod 2 test.

You are looking at paying around 1200-1300 for both car and bike.

That's the DVLA stance which sounds fucking stupid to me, your base CO should be able to sort something out for you though because like I said that just sounds stupid to me.
No Vaseline provided either, fucking rip off!
MechaniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

Thanks for the info guys. I am headed over the 95th not the 100th. I know through the base I get a License that allows me to drive off base with out going trough the British while I am there, I think.

On the track, are there any classes I would have to take for it being my first time on the track, like they do here in the US.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

No....just book yourself into the novice group and have a blast, you could get some instruction, if you ask.....so i've been told.

If you've been on track before then i'd go into the inters....they can always move you up or down, according to your ability.
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I am headed over the 95th not the 100th. I know through the base I get a License that allows me to drive off base with out going trough the British while I am there, I think.

On the track, are there any classes I would have to take for it being my first time on the track, like they do here in the US.

My badd...welcome to 3AF.

Yes, your stateside license will get you a 3rd Air Force driver's license and cut out a lot of requirements the British drivers have to endure. Don't brag about that.

Get all your training documentation done beforehand. It's better to have training and present proof than to wish you had accomplished it when you had a chance.

Not trying to lecture you but provide some insight before you get to England.

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
hamill12
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr srad 1000. rd 500 ypvs

[QUOTE=GSXR6Mac;5807988

Like I said Mac all you need to ride on track is to sign the disclaimer,pay the fee & arrive on time with your bike.
I enquires for CCM Hunt a couple of mths ago and that's the info I got from No limits track days. Why don't you drop them an email that will clarify everything.
hamill12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help & info.

No worries GSXR7Ed, I appreciate the info. I will try to jump into an MSF course here before I leave, because I believe by the time I get over there it will be right at 3 years.

I am stoked to be headed over there. Been there 3 times before and enjoyed my visits & the beer.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
GSXR7ED
I'm Sticking Around

Quote:
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help & info.

No worries GSXR7Ed, I appreciate the info. I will try to jump into an MSF course here before I leave, because I believe by the time I get over there it will be right at 3 years.

I am stoked to be headed over there. Been there 3 times before and enjoyed my visits & the beer.
Were you just passing through on TDY orders or have you previously been assigned as permanent party? One place everyone visits is the "Bird in Hand". Heck, the "Galaxy Club" use to be a happening place back in the day. A lot has changed over the years to include the remodeling of the BX.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy your time in England. Get out and see as much as possible. Order your passport before you depart the US and RyanAir will be the way to travel.

All the best to you...lucky bastard!

Ed
GSXR7ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

I've been there TDY. Been to both the G-Club & Bird in Hand.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vooduguru View Post
holy shit, 1200 quid? plus VAT and the other costs associated with being there....damn
Including VAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaniX View Post
No Vaseline provided either, fucking rip off!
Yeah it is.

Quote:
I know through the base I get a License that allows me to drive off base with out going trough the British while I am there, I think.
Good, I couldn't for the life of me work out how they could have the cheek to say you were qualified to drive for a year but then the next day make you re-do the lot, the cheeky bastards.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead

Curious as to what you tow your bike/trailer to the track with, or do you use a van?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Quote:
Curious as to what you tow your bike/trailer to the track with, or do you use a van?
I always just use whichever road bike I have at the time for normal trackdays, so just ride there.

For anything more serious or if we have picked up a dedicated track only bike then yeah, just chuck it in the back of a van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement