Chain adjustment advice. : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Mr.Gixxer2
Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R600L1/DL650AL1
Chain adjustment advice.

I have always adjusted my chains by doing the same turn on both sides and then letting the dealer make any alignments when it goes in for its regular service. Since buying the new Gixxer 600 I have been a little more concerned to keep it good most of the time. I have seen a lot of chain adjustment videos and the methods vary. Even the Gixxer workshop manual is vague. Any experts out there? Is it best to line up the markers on each side exactly or is this only a rough guide? I understand that measurement from centre rear and front sprocket positions on each side is the only way to check correct alignment of wheel - trouble is the exhaust gets in the way on one side! Is it best to make the first adjust ment on the sprocket side and then the exhaust side or the other way round. Is there more chance that hit and miss adjustment of the chain can cause problems and it might be better to pop into the dealer to have a mechanic do it if it appears to be getting slack. I have never really worried too much about all this before but with the fast downshifting and high revs I seem to be subjecting my Gixxer to - I think the time has come to be a bit more fussy! Thanks for any input here. Any good links would also be appreciated.

Last edited by Mr.Gixxer2; 11-11-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Mr.Gixxer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
TOEJAM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel

Motorcycle: 06 R1 Raven; '07 Ducati 1098S; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC
Re: Chain adjustment advice.

You can line it up by the markers and be fine. No, they arent gnat's ass EXACTLY perfect...but they are good enough.

A top knotch suspension guy (like GMD Computrak) will use measurements and get it EXACT. But the markers are good enough.

I normally take 3 different colored paint markers and put a paint mark on each marker. That way if they get way off, it makes it easy to see which marker coincides with the marker on the other side. Some axle sliders just have a window for you to see the marker through. If they get way off, you dont know if you are looking at the 4th marker or the 5th marker, etc. So i will paint them.
WERA Expert #2
Chaotic Racing
STT Southern Region/Speed Academy Instructor
Sponsors = SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Sportbike Tire Service - Bell Helmets - Knox Armour
TOEJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Bagherra
He Who Touches Himself

Motorcycle: 2K2 GSXR750 Y&B, 2006 GSXR1000 R&B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
You can line it up by the markers and be fine. No, they arent gnat's ass EXACTLY perfect...but they are good enough.

A top knotch suspension guy (like GMD Computrak) will use measurements and get it EXACT. But the markers are good enough.

I normally take 3 different colored paint markers and put a paint mark on each marker. That way if they get way off, it makes it easy to see which marker coincides with the marker on the other side. Some axle sliders just have a window for you to see the marker through. If they get way off, you dont know if you are looking at the 4th marker or the 5th marker, etc. So i will paint them.
I think i'm gonna do this!!
Bagherra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

As Toejam said, the markers are plenty good. Especially if you're just riding on the street or doing track days. You can use the string method or purchase a laser type alignment tool if you want it more precise, but personally I wouldn't worry about it to that degree unless you're racing. More important then making sure that is dead on like a gnat's ass is to make sure your chain slack is set properly and you clean/lube your chain regularly.
MotoMummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
I use a measurent from axle to swingarm pivot. It is made easier by using a prolux alignment tool.

But once I have made that measurement once and gotten the bike properly aligned I drill a divot on that flat side of the adjusted bolt that is facing out currently. Then when I adjust I count the flats a I turn it keeping them even.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

I use the alignment tools like Muzzy sells and laser tool Mummy sells.

Has worked well over the years.

Lot's of guys at the track eye it up and to date I have not seen any major issues.
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Mr.Gixxer2
Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R600L1/DL650AL1

Thanks for input - succesfully adjusted chain and aligned wheel today.
Mr.Gixxer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement