so continuing on with my weekend tuneup for my bike.. last time i told u about my adventure with a KN Filter.. now lets talk about throttle sync.. gonna be like a rant, will try to clean up a little.
well a little back story, my bike ran like shit.. the tank had gobs of dirt, rust, nastiness inside that required my to clean out the entire fuel system. with before the clean i could get up to 60 mph if i pushed it. afterwards i could up to 70, made a difference. rode around that way for a few months and decided that it need a tuneup so i went and bought some OE plugs, LED turn signals, KN oil filter, Motion Pro Carb Sync tool, chain de-greaser, and chain lube. after months of searching for the OE tool and couldn't find one just bought the Motion Pro. @ $115 it was a bit pricey, but i need to do this at least once a year and its been 11 yrs. since its last adjust.
gonna focus on the sync now. well i open the package, set up the sync tool everything was cake. easy and straight forward setup the instructions were very easy to understand. then i go to the bike manual and read about the sync process seemed straight forward, (unless u got a toddler next to you trying to help haha). followed the instruction a i go and screw up by not removing the IAT sensor from the air box, and so the bike runs for about a minuet then dies, and I'm WTF!!! what did i screw up, so i look at the manual and notice the IAT sensor is still on the air box, felt i dropped a few hundred pounds off my back.
so i remove the hone on #3 and plug it with one of the plugs from the Motion Pro, seemed a little loss, not as snug the the rest but ok, its all i got. so now i calibrate the Motion Pro, and i set up about 1/4 up from the bottom, where it has some raised marks that made easy to read from a distance. so i hook up the hoses to each throttle body start up the bike and try to keep the rpm @ 1300.
so initial conditions on the throttles were bad, #1 was a tad higher than were i had set the calibration. #2 was lower than #1 and lower than were i had set the calibration. #3 was in alaska somewhere. #4 was in between #1 and #3. i wish i had a camera and not given it to my daughter to entertain her so i could work.
so i adjust 1 & 2 to try and get them closer and 3 is going to the north pole, so i move to 3 & 4 get them down, gotta adjust the RPM its getting to low to back to 3 & 4 got them alittle stable back to 1 & 2 got them set, them move to 2 & 3, then 3 & 4, and so on, and so on, and so on. this went of for a better part of an hour. moving back and forth beween the throttle bodies and the throttle stop screw to try and keep the RPM at 1300.
in the end i could only get 1,2,4 to sync up almost perfectly, and 3 was still a tap off, higher than the rest. there is also a miss in the engine that i am gonna have to find, i can hear it when i start up the bike in the morning and the fast idle.
now after the sync, i was averaging about 23 mpg, and had to rev the bike up to 4500 rpm just to get moving from a stop. and it felt like something was holding it back and not letting it breath and move the way it should. and now after the sync the throttle is crisp revs up much faster, drives like it never has, even when new. as per the MPG, gonna have to update you on that since i want to go thru a couple tanks to get a better reading.
so in short, maintian your bike, or you will end up like me.. a sorry nub.