SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
yourname2221
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 600 (motors out 750 going in)
Re: SS Motor Build Pro's/Con's

^^thats my plan as well.

And like you I too get ahead of myself and keep looking through wera at bikes thinkin to myself hey i could get this one right now. Then I realize I should wait; wife usually does that for me tho.
yourname2221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
wisegunner
Rookie

Motorcycle: CBR1000rr '06(sold), GSXR600 K7

I say buy a bike soon. I would if I could. You already know you like riding. Maybe you won't like to race; fuck it, you will still have a nice track bike. Plus it saves you from further damaging your road bike.
wisegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
True. I do tend to get ahead of myself over stuff I am really into.

I do have cash burning a hole in my pocket, but......I suppose I could use that money for a full year of trackdays and novice racing if I keep my SV. I just know that I will want to upgrade to a 600 eventually and I have the money for it now. IDK if I will have that same $$ by next year.

Overall though, the smart route would be to just keep riding the SV, get to blue group, attend a race school, do a few TPM races, AND THEN see if Im ready to step up to a I4 600.

EDIT: Yall have to remember though that my goal (whether yall think it is attainable or not, idc. this has been hashed out before in a diff thread and im not changing my mind ) is to get to AMA racing as quickly as possible. I would think (I may be wrong) that racing a 600 right off the bat would help the cause in that respect.

Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes.....

I don't know if you are still in White group or if they bumped you to Red, but in either event I would do as many track days as you can reasonably do between now and late spring next year (I'm assuming since it's Nov 1st that your time at the track is going to be done for the year or close to).

You're going to start back up in the spring a little rusty. Get as much seat time as you can. When you are at the point where you feel VERY comfortable in Red group and you are running a pace that is good for the slower end of blue I would go ahead and take TPMs ART Race class. Part of the class is competing in the GP Moto race that day. You have to finish without crashing to get your certificate. You can send that cert in to CCS to get your amateur license and you also have TPMs license to do GP Moto races. You may find that the convenience of doing a race or 2 on the same day as being at the track appeals to you for that first year to get things started.

Based off how that experience goes you can decided what to do next with a little more certainty.

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisegunner View Post
I say buy a bike soon. I would if I could. You already know you like riding. Maybe you won't like to race; fuck it, you will still have a nice track bike. Plus it saves you from further damaging your road bike.
Very true as well. I already know I love trackdays. Im pretty sure I will love racing, though that is yet to be determined as I have not raced yet. The bike Im looking at is setup very well for a good price. Who is to say I cannot learn to go fast on a 600? Im sure other people have learned to go fast that way, and if not, I can always be the first

Ahh, too many choices. Its hard to determine what the best course of action is with some many varying opinions and options.
CCS-#418......Best Lap: VIR N-1.40.8 NJMP-? Summit-1.21.0 Roebling- ?CMP-?

Support: Lingo Networks, Sharkskinz, No Agenda Racing, DC-MOTO.NET, AMSOIL, Leo Vince
!ThatGuy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes.....

I don't know if you are still in White group or if they bumped you to Red, but in either event I would do as many track days as you can reasonably do between now and late spring next year (I'm assuming since it's Nov 1st that your time at the track is going to be done for the year or close to).

You're going to start back up in the spring a little rusty. Get as much seat time as you can. When you are at the point where you feel VERY comfortable in Red group and you are running a pace that is good for the slower end of blue I would go ahead and take TPMs ART Race class. Part of the class is competing in the GP Moto race that day. You have to finish without crashing to get your certificate. You can send that cert in to CCS to get your amateur license and you also have TPMs license to do GP Moto races. You may find that the convenience of doing a race or 2 on the same day as being at the track appeals to you for that first year to get things started.

Based off how that experience goes you can decided what to do next with a little more certainty.
Great advice. Sounds like I might be going that way. I was bumped to Red on my 3rd TD at Summit-Shenny, but that will be my last TD for this year. So I am advancing nicely, which is good, but I really do need ALOT more seat time to gain experience and get used to passing and being passed at odd times and places. I like the plan you just laid out for me though. Seems like a safe and gradual progression into racing. Thanks for the sound advice
Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
wisegunner
Rookie

It's all good. I know that I have been riding since 6, used to race MX, been riding street for around 10 years and if I want to to buy a track bike and get into racing, I'll do it no matter what anyone else thinks.
The only reason I am not in the exact same place you are is that I make very little money at my job. When I can make more money, I'll be out every weekend at the track.
You can ask for people's opinions, that's great, but you will always have to consider their opinion along with your own direction and drive.
Do more track days for sure. I agree with everyone on that point. However, do them on a bike that inspires you too. You are obviously looking at different bikes, so find one that suits you. I am learning from your ideas too. Thanks to your other posts I have an idea of what it takes to even start thinking about getting started.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
However, do them on a bike that inspires you too.

My 1000 inspires the shit out of me. But my 600 allows me to turn faster and more consistently faster lap times and tires me out less.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
It's all good. I know that I have been riding since 6, used to race MX, been riding street for around 10 years and if I want to to buy a track bike and get into racing, I'll do it no matter what anyone else thinks.
The only reason I am not in the exact same place you are is that I make very little money at my job. When I can make more money, I'll be out every weekend at the track.
You can ask for people's opinions, that's great, but you will always have to consider their opinion along with your own direction and drive.
Do more track days for sure. I agree with everyone on that point. However, do them on a bike that inspires you too. You are obviously looking at different bikes, so find one that suits you. I am learning from your ideas too. Thanks to your other posts I have an idea of what it takes to even start thinking about getting started.
Exactly. Not everyone's situation is the same, so I have to weed out what is not applicable to me personally. However, the vast majority of advice can be used for just about any ones situation. My end goal typically is very different from someone's else's though and that is where I find the most difficultly choosing the correct path.

I'm glad my other threads have helped you out! That's what I started them for. Not only to document my journey, but to help Aspiring racers get a jump start on everything.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
wisegunner
Rookie

Quote:
My 1000 inspires the shit out of me. But my 600 allows me to turn faster and more consistently faster lap times and tires me out less.
I get what you mean. Learning anything this complex will be hard, for me though, it is a little easier if there is a higher level of desire involved. Also, it's worth noting that I was not talking about someone brand new to motorcycling. Had that been the situation, I'd have said, "buy a Ninja 250 and come back next year and tell us what's up."

It's great that guys like you are here to give your advice, opinions, and encouragement. I can't thank you enough for spending your free time answering questions. I am just trying to provide my sentiments on the subject as well. I do not feel that they are too far from you own.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
wisegunner
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
Exactly. Not everyone's situation is the same, so I have to weed out what is not applicable to me personally. However, the vast majority of advice can be used for just about any ones situation. My end goal typically is very different from someone's else's though and that is where I find the most difficultly choosing the correct path.

I'm glad my other threads have helped you out! That's what I started them for. Not only to document my journey, but to help Aspiring racers get a jump start on everything.

I want to race too. I am 28, so I am not going to get rich and famous, but I know my abilities and I know I can handle at least trying. I would really like to race older bikes. Simply for fun.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
It's_Just_Bob
Deceptively fat procrastinating Bob...

Motorcycle: k8 1000 street, 06 600 track

Quote:
$5K is a good price on a bike with exhaust, levers, race plastic, etc...
Are levers really a serious factor of the value of a track bike to you?

Quote:

TPM's GPMoto races are definitely a good place to get your feet wet.
It's_Just_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
wisegunner
Rookie

[QUOTE=nj01_6;5797573]Are levers really a serious factor of the value of a track bike to you?

No, just something that was listed. Thank you for being annoying.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Ok, lets hypothetically say that I am going to buy the bike with the supersport built motor.

-cost of refresh?
-abnormal upkeep compared to a completely stock motor?
-any special way to warm up the motor after a cold start?
-anything at all a compete newb would need to know on a built motor?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #34
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

A supersport motor is no different than a regular old stock motor off the showroom. Pretty much all you can do is run a more compression via a thinner head gasket or milled head and adjust the cams accordingly. Only thing you would have to be wary of is if the bike is tuned for and needs race fuel.

A superbike motor allows for more modification and has more lifespan concerns.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
A supersport motor is no different than a regular old stock motor off the showroom. Pretty much all you can do is run a more compression via a thinner head gasket or milled head and adjust the cams accordingly. Only thing you would have to be wary of is if the bike is tuned for and needs race fuel.

A superbike motor allows for more modification and has more lifespan concerns.
Ok, cool. The build and map were for regular ole 93 pump gas. Preferably with no ethanol.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Pics as promised if I bought it...........sorry SPL, had to get it. Hopefully it wont bite me in the ass

My new play thing for next season! Picking it up Sunday!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #37
wisegunner
Rookie

Damn! That's nuts! Don't apologize, make that beautiful bike your bitch! I can't wait until mine starts looking like that. I hate lights and signals anyway!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

No need to apologize.

Enjoy it, use the winter to go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is fresh for the spring. Things wear out quick on a dedicated track/race bike.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Trackstar
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR750, 2012 Yamaha R6, 2011 Ninja 250

Nice bike!

So I know I'm a little late to this party but I'll throw in my two cents.

Thats a very mild motor, it's pretty much stock but cleaned up so maintenance shouldnt be a big deal. My bone stock 06 GSXR600 made 111 hp on fuel at the AMA round at Miller (4500 feet elevation). So that motor isnt anything crazy.

CHECK THE VALVES OFTEN! Not every 16,000 miles, not every 10,000... check it a few times a season if it's a track whore. We just broke a valve in an 07 with 4500 track miles. Ate the motor. It's worth a couple hours a few times a year to save that headache.

Now, dont spend any more on the bike and go to a good school and get really fast!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
!ThatGuy!
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstar View Post
Nice bike!

So I know I'm a little late to this party but I'll throw in my two cents.

Thats a very mild motor, it's pretty much stock but cleaned up so maintenance shouldnt be a big deal. My bone stock 06 GSXR600 made 111 hp on fuel at the AMA round at Miller (4500 feet elevation). So that motor isnt anything crazy.

CHECK THE VALVES OFTEN! Not every 16,000 miles, not every 10,000... check it a few times a season if it's a track whore. We just broke a valve in an 07 with 4500 track miles. Ate the motor. It's worth a couple hours a few times a year to save that headache.

Now, dont spend any more on the bike and go to a good school and get really fast!
Thanks for the input! Thats what I keep hearing, that it's a very mild build. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. I dont want some blinged to the max motor that will pop after one season.

I dont NEED to spend anymore money on the bike. It literally has every single piece of aftermarket goodies I could possibly think of and then some. Planning on going to Cornerspeed at VIR this year and MAYBE hitting up a DiSalvo academy trackday with STT if I have the $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement