How to cold start - Page 3 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
TT750
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 99 750 (sold), 98 tlr (in progress), 07 f650 dakar (daily driver)
Re: How to cold start

you could also check the tps setting
TT750 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #42
tmp
Rookie

Motorcycle: 99 SRAD 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by andergar View Post
WOW! Only half way through this post and as always good info. Okay with this quote I have a question(s): when you say "blip the throttle" do you mean "twist the throttle"? I thought having a FI you didn't have to do that. Just asking, many thanks for all the responses.
When I say blip the throttle, twist it only for a brief moment and let it return to it's neutral position, various times while pressing the start button.
Use the same movement at the throttle hand as this guy here while pressing the start button:

I wouldn't let it open permanently as it might get too much gas in the cylinders then then getting wet plugs. I know that too much gas is a problem in carbed bikes, not sure on FI bikes, but I do this way and it has served me for quite some time.
BTW, you bike has mods (exhaust, air filter)?
tmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #43
Apok
ICBA

Motorcycle: '03 GSXR1000, '88 GSX 1100F, '92 GSX 1100F

^^Anyone who does that should be ashamed and executed.

What is the purpose other than to ruin your engine faster?
Apok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #44
tmp
Rookie

I don't think I explained my self...I say that the action in the throttle hand should be the same while starting the bike, bliping the throttle, I'm not saying to rev the bike like a moron after the bike has started, as the moron on the video does, with great success btw...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #45
Apok
ICBA

Motorcycle: '03 GSXR1000, '88 GSX 1100F, '92 GSX 1100F

I knew you weren't meaning that. I just went off a side tangent.
Apok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #46
tmp
Rookie

Oh...ok, nice! Sometimes my english skills are confusing, to say the least... :-)
I will leave here a funny story:
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #47
andergar
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1998 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp View Post
When I say blip the throttle, twist it only for a brief moment and let it return to it's neutral position, various times while pressing the start button.
Use the same movement at the throttle hand as this guy here while pressing the start button:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJzfkKb3D8

I wouldn't let it open permanently as it might get too much gas in the cylinders then then getting wet plugs. I know that too much gas is a problem in carbed bikes, not sure on FI bikes, but I do this way and it has served me for quite some time.
BTW, you bike has mods (exhaust, air filter)?
Again to all, many thanks for the input. The only mods are a K&N filter and a Yosh can. Does this make in difference to starting?
andergar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #48
TwistedMister
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp View Post
Oh...ok, nice! Sometimes my english skills are confusing, to say the least... :-)
I will leave here a funny story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvzmNPxR0M

yup, squids always like to make noise, specially on a cold engine or at 12 oclock with the engine starving for oil, why I wont but a stunt bike and learned what to look for in used stunt bikes

look for bits of rubber anywhere around the rear wheel, it gets into odd places after several burnouts...

look for the fender hitting the nose plastic

look for evidence of the rear shock bottoming out excessively

scoured fork legs at the rear of the tubes, they will rotate them so just look for scouring, stoppies put a lot of pressure on the insides of the legs

look for lots of wear and tear on tire change hardware, axle bolts rims and so on, stunt bikes tend to go through lots of rubber, I bike with 12,000 miles shouldnt have any more than 3 changes rear 2 in front, stunt bikes tend to lose wheel weights as well..

theres the obvious stuff as well, evidence of dual rear calipers cages and so on..

some stunters are cool and simply say hey, this was a stunt bike, others try to pawn them off as "mostly highway miles"

not much you can do about dolts int he video that just don't have a clue period, know what it should ride like and ride it.

but yea that guy shouldn't be allowed to own a bike, and don't ask me why I went off in a tangent, I dunno? I just did
TwistedMister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #49
tmp
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andergar View Post
Again to all, many thanks for the input. The only mods are a K&N filter and a Yosh can. Does this make in difference to starting?
Those mods make you bike breath better, getting more air. Now, the fuel injection tends to compensate for small changes but it might not compensate enough for changes other than altitude/weather.
So as you bike get more air and fuel is not compensated, you will get a lean mixture, usually on low/idle and mid throttle openings in these bikes.
A lean mixture would make a bike harder to start. As said early, carbed bikes use a choke to enrich the mixture at cold, but your bike is in the other side of the spectrum, lean and no choke to compensate at cold.

How can you solve this? 3 Options
1-Remove mod(s). Maybe changing the filter will get you there.
2-Reprogram the ECU. A yosh box, a yosh box clone if you have electronic skills or a Teka will do. Maybe your nearest dealer or dyno might have one of those.
3- Power Commander.

Keep in mind that what I'm saying in this post is just plain theory, I've no experience in this specific situaton, although...my bike has the same mods as yours(V&H can+KN filter), and I'm building a yosh box clone to tune it...

Also, check you valves if you haven't done so recenly!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #50
andergar
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1998 GSX-R 750

Many thanks tmp and to all for the advice!
andergar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in