Beginner power wheelies. : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Racing & Stunts > Stunts & Tricks

Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
17_year_old_squid
Squid

Beginner power wheelies.

Hey so I found an old abandoned road today and have always wanted to try wheelies. I know the proper techniques and whatnot so I tried 1st gear power wheelies cruising at 6k rpms then letting off the gas to preload the front then wot. I noticed I was able to feel the front getting light and a few times even get get it a couple inches off the ground, but it wouldn't come any higher or even be chaseable. I'm wondering if I'm not chopping the throttle fast enough or if I should raise the rpms more. I already tried that and getting out of the powerbsnd was less rewarding. I feel lime it's not getting enough power? I was originally gonna do clutch ups, but my lever was too stiff to pull with one finger. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App
17_year_old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
USAFGixxer89
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600, K&N Filter, Yoshi TRC Stainless Full exhaust, Custom windscreen, Gold Shorty levers, Gold GSXR bar ends, -1 +2 520 conversion kit. Brand new electrical system. new odd's and end's comin' soon!
Re: Beginner power wheelies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17_year_old_squid View Post
Hey so I found an old abandoned road today and have always wanted to try wheelies. I know the proper techniques and whatnot so I tried 1st gear power wheelies cruising at 6k rpms then letting off the gas to preload the front then wot. I noticed I was able to feel the front getting light and a few times even get get it a couple inches off the ground, but it wouldn't come any higher or even be chaseable. I'm wondering if I'm not chopping the throttle fast enough or if I should raise the rpms more. I already tried that and getting out of the powerbsnd was less rewarding. I feel lime it's not getting enough power? I was originally gonna do clutch ups, but my lever was too stiff to pull with one finger. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Im currently learning wheelies myself and i dont fuck with powerwheelies. I dont know if it has enough torque to yank up on a 600. My buddy has a gsxr750 with a ton of engine work and he can barely rip on his throttle and he can get right to his balance point in a matter of a second or two. I'd say try possibly some clutch ups at low rpm's ( i tried mine at about 5-6k it just comes up quick so be mindful of that)...thats what helped me at least. Im trying to do 2nd gear clutch-ups now..

hope that helps

" If your not first, You're last" - Ricky Bobby
USAFGixxer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Graveyard
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer 1000, 06 gixxer 600

Yeah power wheelies aren't as predictable as clutch wheelies if i were you i would learn that way.
Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Miller6
Squid

Motorcycle: K5 gsxr600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Yeah power wheelies aren't as predictable as clutch wheelies if i were you i would learn that way.
Graveyard, I ask you because looking at the pictures you posted and the things I have read I assume that you have wheelied the absolute piss out of a few gsxrs in your day. Haha. Question is.. how hard is it on the clutch using it to wheelie? On a stock clutch anyhow. I'm not sure if you stunt guys run heavier clutches and whatnot? I by no means will be "stunting" but I do have a long dead end road that is completely isolated right across from my driveway. I mean, I guess I could throw one wheel up now and then. That is of course if my balls are big enough! I ask about the clutch because in the spring and summer time this is my daily driver.
Miller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
tomzilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 600, 01 hd fxdl, 03 buell blast(for funzies)
The stock clutch will be five. They are pretty bomb proof. I brought the wheel up a lot until I almost looped her. I soaked on the rear brake and brought it down hard, next thing I know, my forks are leaking, do ul just gonna get another bike for hooligan fun.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.
tomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller6 View Post
Graveyard, I ask you because looking at the pictures you posted and the things I have read I assume that you have wheelied the absolute piss out of a few gsxrs in your day. Haha. Question is.. how hard is it on the clutch using it to wheelie? On a stock clutch anyhow. I'm not sure if you stunt guys run heavier clutches and whatnot? I by no means will be "stunting" but I do have a long dead end road that is completely isolated right across from my driveway. I mean, I guess I could throw one wheel up now and then. That is of course if my balls are big enough! I ask about the clutch because in the spring and summer time this is my daily driver.
Tomzilla's right these clutches are pretty durable. basically what you don't want to do is just dump the clutch from the bar. you want to slip it, find that spot where is just disengages and then give it gas and slip it out. I've seen guys bust chains and masters by dumping the clutch from the bar. this will greatly lesson the abuse on your clutch plates.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

Bet you're not sitting back far enough. I took a wheelie course this past weekend and it was pointed out that the majority of street riders place too much weight over the front when they're in the traditional sportbike riding position. Shifting your weight back helps immensely.
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
dougwelsh
Squid

Motorcycle: GSX-R 600 K8

I prefer clutching it up, you run out of rpms so fast by the time the bike stands up with power wheelies. but like d207gp said, move ur ass back like an inch and itll make a world of difference.
dougwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by d207gp View Post
Bet you're not sitting back far enough. I took a wheelie course this past weekend and it was pointed out that the majority of street riders place too much weight over the front when they're in the traditional sportbike riding position. Shifting your weight back helps immensely.
Body position plays a huge factor, doing standups a lot of guys lean over their bikes and all your doing is fighting it. When i clutch up sitdowns i like to be far back in the seat even sitting against the passenger seat.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Glasscock89
Squid

Standups all the way.....more control and a lot easier to bail in a oh fuck moment, try standing staggered, left foot on rear set and right covering rear brake
Glasscock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
gixnuts
Squid

Motorcycle: 2009 gsxr 750

what is the method to clutch ups? (proper steps)
gixnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
HAZDADDY
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 GSXR 1000, 2006 Busa-sold, 2006 cbr 600- sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixnuts View Post
what is the method to clutch ups? (proper steps)
I'm just now trying to learn how to consistently wheelie. Been riding street for about 6 years ....dirt for about 22. I never perfected it on dirt but Im better than I am on the street. The hardest thing is that every bike is going to react a little differently. My 1000 kinda intimidates me as far as clutching it up. I feel that I have more control when I power it up. On my 600, I almost had to clutch it up just to get it to where I could carry it at all.

Not trying to hijack this thread but...
Anyone good at wheelies with a 1000 care tothe chime in? I'm all ears

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

PCV5 and HID kit awaiting install
HAZDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Graveyard

Clutching is just safer on any bike. my 1000 intimidates me too and i ride wheelies all day on my k6. but you just have to learn how each bike reacts. don't bounce a 1000 just clutch and hold the throttle.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Glasscock89
Squid

I ride my 1000 daily, balance on it is cake compared too a 600 on the street due to excessive engine braking, my sweet spot on mine is 45mph in 2nd gear, clutch up and hold that bad boy, now due too the shear power it's very easy to get sketchy real quick but after enough times you will get the hang....I can ride balance point on mine until u tell me to set it down or I run into a turn too sharp to take....and remember on a 1000, just let off when in doubt, the engine will bring you back down, don't use the brake....mousetrap at 60mph and your gonna be hurt
Impaktech cage/sub cage
905 12 bar
Clip ons
Glasscock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

My 05 600 in 2nd gear with -1/+2 I can stand up at without clutching. However, I am far from good so i cant hold any very long
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
gixnuts
Squid

Motorcycle: 2009 gsxr 750

people with 750 what do you usually clutch it at?
gixnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
GotSick
Novice

Motorcycle: 08 GSXR600

I only do sitdown wheelies in 1st, I go about 20mph and clutch in a little throttle, and i let off the clutch and I don't move my hand on the throttle once i pop the clutch.

In 2nd Gear I do stand ups with a little bounce along with the clutch up anywhere from 25-55mph.

I just recently started doing them in 3rd gear, bouncing and clutching them up at around 50-55mph it comes up so slow and real easy to ride out. I am still tryin to find that sweet spot in 3rd though so I am not very consistent in getting them up.

All of this on my stock 2008 gixxer600

* I am still fairly new at doing wheelies *

But hey we got to start somewhere, clutching up gives me a way better sense of how high the front end is going to come up! All I have to do is keep the rear break covered.... I haven't had to use the rear break usually I just let off the gas a little and I come down smoothly.

Last edited by GotSick; 11-07-2012 at 02:02 AM.
GotSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement