OEM piston rings alternative? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
57NV
Novice

Motorcycle: 1K7 track, 1000RR street
OEM piston rings alternative?

Anybody out there make piston rings for OEM pistons?

The OEM rings are stupid expensive for what they are.
57NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Mike Edwards
Rookie

Re: OEM piston rings alternative?

What they are is designed for your bike so why try to save a few bucks when the risk is pretty significant?
Mike Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
gsxr1216
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 1000

why not use honda rings, then it will burn oil for sure
gsxr1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: RIP El Toro. Long live new bike BIG FOXIE! Ex KWS AMA 08 GSXR1000

I've heard from Tim Radley, whom I respect highly (he did a full headjob on my 1K8 1070 motor and it turned out GREAT!), that the OEM rings are really good quality.

I mean the OEM GSXR1000 rings, not necessarily rings from OTHER mfg's!

He actually thinks that a number of the OEM parts in the motor are of very good quality - like the pistons & valves - and that a lot of the aftermarket stuff isn't as good quality wise. Obviously, if you wanna do a 1070 kit or whatever, you have to use aftermarket parts... or oversize valves, etc. But he uses a lot of the stock parts when he can.

So, I would recommend the stock rings. They may not be cheap, but they should be good. And, how much money would you save over aftermarket anyways??

Btw, I do hope you are planning on at least having the block lightly honed to break the glaze on the walls so the new rings can seat. And if the walls show a lot of wear it would be worthwhile to think about having it replated.... but that starts getting into $. And at that point, I'd say to think about a 1040 or 1070 kit. These motors do like the bigger bores.

But either way, make sure you get the walls freshened up so the new rings will seal. new rings on old bore = lots of leakdown. Gonna leave a lot of power on the table

Btw, when having the block honed it would be a great time to have the block decked, and the cylinder head too. Can cut quite a bit off, (esp the head), to get higher compression, but I'd have at least a flycut / cleanup cut done (like .002 or .003") to make sure the surfaces are flat & clean. Your headgasket will thank you!

I'm curious here, what all are you planning to do with the motor?? Rebuilding a stock motor just to get it running right again, or are you looking to go further? Why the teardown/rebuild?
IridiumRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
57NV
Novice

Motorcycle: 1K7 track, 1000RR street

Hey Iridium I've heard the same, the OEM pistons, springs and rings are apparently quite good on the Suzuki's.

I'm not nessecarly looking for a cheaper qualiy product but a cheaper price. Suzuki doesn't make the rings so I was hoping maybe somebody has found out what rings they use and I could get it direct from the manufacture insted of paying the Suzuki mark up. I just bought some OEM pistons for dirt cheap, I'd hate to spend $300 for rings when I wasn't planning to do them anyways until the deal on the pistons came about. Or somebody knows some aftermarket rings that would work that they've had good luck with.

I'm rebuilding the motor in my racebike. It's a stock bottom end with head, milled, ported, polished. Or so the previous owner claims. I'm doing a refresh strickly as a CYA. The bike has a few (light) seasons on it so I'm trying to at least do a top end rebuild with springs, cotters, retainers. I came across some cheap pistons and wrist pins, so here we are.

Was going to try for a 1070 kit but between the $$$ replating job and two engine builders not recommending it for road racing I decided against it. Honestly my bike is strong as is, so I don't know if the extra money/power would be worth while anyways.

Now if I do the pistons we'll probably look at the main/rod bearings and go ahead and do the rod bolts. So there goes more money. You can see why I'm being frugal.

p.s. The valve cotters are on back order, anybody know if there is a aftermarket alternative that's comparable?
57NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Karns Performance
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k

the rings are not available anywhere else as far as i know. just fyi i have see the stock pistons crack in long term road race applications. just remember if you save a hundred dollars, by not doing somthing... if the engine goes pop it will cost alot more than the money you saved.

jason
Karns Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
JP1143
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRed View Post
But either way, make sure you get the walls freshened up so the new rings will seal. new rings on old bore = lots of leakdown.
Btw, when having the block honed it would be a great time to have the block decked, and the cylinder head too. Can cut quite a bit off, (esp the head), to get higher compression, but I'd have at least a flycut / cleanup cut done (like .002 or .003") to make sure the surfaces are flat & clean. Your headgasket will thank you!
All good advice, don't forget to do any of this.

Also, I know sometimes we try to save money on parts, but as Jason stated, sometimes by cutting corners on parts will cost you more in the long run when a failure does occur.

Good luck on the build.
JP1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
rotamonkey
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 k1

You could try gapless/ total seal rings... Havent tried them myself just interested for the next build, hopefully thats a long way off though...
rotamonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Travis V
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600 - Future Track Bike

JE and Wiseco have good rings
Travis V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Karns Performance
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 05 1k- sold / 2012 1k

no total seal more money and no more power... tryed and tested (3 different motors) plus pulls oil past valve seals on decel= engine smokes and dosent look good.

jason
Karns Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
LynnM
Club Racer

You Might check http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/default.asp

Having a after ???? Thanksgiving sale
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement