Opinions on a used BMW 3 series? - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Anything Goes

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
dylanjacobus
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR 1000
Re: Opinions on a used BMW 3 series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
Never own a European vehicle out of warranty. You'll thank me.
dylanjacobus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
gsxr_paul
Has Custom Title Envy

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600

I had a BMW E90 for 7 years. For the 7 years I had it, it was great. Problem is my tranny started going out at 85k miles. I went to get it fixed and they couldn't say exactly what the issue was, but had a guess. Paid $1200 and it was fixed for about 3-400 miles, then the same issue came back. They said a new tranny would run me $5-7K. Traded it in last month. If you can afford the maintenance, then I would say yes.
gsxr_paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
RoLLiN247
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR

I own a 2004 325xi. I have owned it since it has 30k miles and it now has 130k miles. It is all wheel drive and gets me pretty much anywhere in any condition. I have had numerous problems with it but everything is pretty much DIY. The most expensive thing to fail was the cooling system but I was able to do that myself for under $500. Front axle boots go approximately every 30k miles. The key and EWS system is a pain in the ass but can be fixed...
RoLLiN247 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
stockgp
Rookie

i don't understand all the hate. i had an e46 323i until september first (asshole hit me and ruined it), and i loved it. i put over 20, 000 on it in less than a year and had almost no problems. problems i did have weren't too terrible to fix if you know which end of the wrench to hold.

if you get one that's solid, has been well maintained, and you can spin a wrench, i'd say go for it if the price is right. i'm looking for another one right now as well.

one thing to look out for, though. the e46 is infamous for having rear unibody subrame failures. the floor where the rear subframe mounts to the floor would crack, tear, and eventually the subframe would rip free from the floor.

you need to find out if the car you're looking at has had the recall performed. if not, DEFINITLEY take it to bmw and have them do a safety inspection with emphasis on the floor. also have them show you where to check for subframe failures so oyu'll know if you look at any others.

that is something you DO NOT want to miss. if the subframe fails it is a VERY expensive fix. something like five grand from a reasonable body shop.
stockgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
Jd4oor
I Heart Man Sauce

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 1000 2007 GSX-R 600

Thanks for the input boys, going to take a test drive saturday morning.
Jd4oor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Kent Brockman
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: '06 750 track bike, '05 Yamaha FZ1, '02 XR400.
BMW=bring my wallet! Run....run the opposite direction! I have two good friends that own them....all kinds of stupid ass problems that are not cheap to fix. We owned two Mercedes....both the biggest POS ever! I would have gladly put match in the gas tank of either one out of sheer frustration.The German cars have a sweet ride but are not reliable vehicles. Example repairs needed on the BMWs and our Mercedes:

-interior door handles coming away from door panel
-driver side window no longer goes up or down
-oil in the coolant
-computer issues
-xm radio antenna just stopped working
-routine brake job required replacement of rotors
-rear seatbelt installed backwards
-oil leak from engine which required costly repair
-door trim just started falling off

.....the list goes on!!!

F*** BMW and Mercedes! Don't even test drive it, man.

Kent Brockman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #27
Jd4oor
I Heart Man Sauce

Aside from the computer, I would feel confident attacking the rest of the things you mentioned in my own garage. I really haven't seen anything else that piqued my interest for under 15k. What do you recommend instead of MB and BMW in that range?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
le skid
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd4oor View Post
I looked at a couple Audi A4 Quattros but they kind of look like Jettas (ugly) and get about the same mpg from 2 liter turbo as the BMW does with a healthy I6.
Same car. If you buy an S6, it's a jetta with a lamborghini V10.. or basically a $100,000 jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd4oor View Post
Aside from the computer, I would feel confident attacking the rest of the things you mentioned in my own garage. I really haven't seen anything else that piqued my interest for under 15k. What do you recommend instead of MB and BMW in that range?
A good friend who tracks his cars (GDC member buzzertoy) had an A4 and a number of various beemers over the years. To change the timing belt on an audi, the whole front of the car (literally) needs to come off!

About the BMWs, I love them and they are solid, bulletproof cars but other have not exaggerated in the least. For the 2008 545, the front brake pads were $700!!!!!! (just the parts). $700 plus labor for a basic maintenance item turned me off BMW forever. Nice cars but waaaay too expensive to maintain, unless you just don't care about $$$.

NB, after his last BMW (M5 with the 507hp VP / 7sp), it's noteworthy that he's now driving an Audi S4.
le skid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
From what I can recall, the A6 platform was never shared with any other VW owned company...
performula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #30
SmithgsxR
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 96 SRAD 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
Seriously? The e30 is as simple as can be, I've owned 5 of them including a 325e and spend the majority of the time making upgrades not fixing breakdowns. They do happen but most of my problems have been corossion from poorly maintained seals letting water into electrical.

Late model e46's are fairly reliable save for ignition coil failures and the regular crank case vent valve problems. Suspension on a bmw is the pricey point, and the awd is a whole nother world so if you want to get one find an example that has been well maintained in general. You don't want to get hit with the multi thousand dollar shock/strut and subframe bushing replacement or have to replace a thousand dollar CV.

Drivability wise they are popular for a reason, the car's are fantastic on the road and a pleasure to drive daily. I'm a BMW fan but hold bothing against Subaru's (I want WRX Impreza myself), and I'm sure there are other great cars out there with AWD but most of my experience is RWD sports car biased
^^thats exactly what I couldn't figure out, was WHICH electrical bit was giving me issues. DME, motronic, fuel relays, coil, wires, distributor, fuel pump, posi fuse, ALL grounds........nothing. no spark no fuel. So I traded it for a bike. plus I didn't feel like fixing rotted out subframe.
SmithgsxR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
OP,

Have you thought about a G-Series/IS? Probably not lemon proof, but I'm guessing they have their quirks too.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
Motionelco
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750
3 series steering pumps tend to go bad very early in the cars life, and they're steering lines also leak .

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Motionelco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
stockgp
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
Same car. If you buy an S6, it's a jetta with a lamborghini V10.. or basically a $100,000 jetta

A good friend who tracks his cars (GDC member buzzertoy) had an A4 and a number of various beemers over the years. To change the timing belt on an audi, the whole front of the car (literally) needs to come off!

About the BMWs, I love them and they are solid, bulletproof cars but other have not exaggerated in the least. For the 2008 545, the front brake pads were $700!!!!!! (just the parts). $700 plus labor for a basic maintenance item turned me off BMW forever. Nice cars but waaaay too expensive to maintain, unless you just don't care about $$$.

NB, after his last BMW (M5 with the 507hp VP / 7sp), it's noteworthy that he's now driving an Audi S4.
as far as the brakes go, you can get akebono pads, rotors, new hoses and wear sensors for an e46 for 600 bucks. that's for all four corners. hardly a comparison.

in my experience, audi's are also less user-friendly when it comes to home maintenance.

i also had an a4, and it's much more cramped int he engine bay than the bmw straight six. and not to mention the fact that a4 steering racks run through a tube int he body behind the firewall. talk about a real pain int he dick to change if it goes bad.

i hate to sound like a brand leg humper, but for similar expense i think the bmw is the better choice.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #34
stockgp
Rookie

also, if you're careful about where you buy parts, you can cut a lot of expense. if you insist on buying from the dealer, you pay a huge premium for their parts.

as an example, i needed to replace my upstream o2 sensors. bmw wanted $264.66 per sensor. that's not an exaggeration, i still have the invoice for the estimate. i found both of them for roughly half of that
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #35
mlissa2007
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Starfish

Motorcycle: 06 kws gsxr 1143 stroker track, 11 gsxr 600 street, 09 drz400sm street/dirt

Audi for the win if you really want a German made vehicle. I owned a 04/05 s4 v8 and it was great as far as awd, and power but a maintenance bitch. Changing the oil was a pain in its self. Sold it and got a 2001 Audi s4 twin turbo 6 cylinder. Well the turbos went out a month ago or so. It made a sound similar to a dentist drill so I did my research and found out that is a common problem. Ac also went out and the cause was the compressor. So I'm upgrading the turbos and building the motor to make 500+ hp. Imo be prepared to spend a lot of money on it if something goes wrong whether its Audi BMW or Benz

I just love audis hence why I buy them.

Maybe a 06+ sti? Seem like great cars. What about a 03-06 EVO? Excellent vehicle and a few buddies have those yr models and have nothing but good things to say.

Good luck op
Cheers

J
KWS1143 Stroker: CP 3mm pistons,4mm falicon stroker crank, Carillo H beam Rods, Web cams,Ported head, Valve job, new valves,cam sproket, cam chain, Bearings,gaskets, Falicon clutch, akra evo2 exhaust, Bmc race filt,Bazzaz z-fi Qs, jsd2, Penske shock, ss lines, Pads, brembo m/c, vortex rearsets, ohlins forks spring,penske fork valves,woodcraft covers, crg mirror,gpr damper,asv/pazzo levers;205hp/103ftlbs pump/ 214hp/107ftlbs on race gas
mlissa2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #36
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

I would never own a BMW with more than 50-60k miles on it. I LOVE f the generations of the 3 series, E30, E36, sexy, classic looking etc. They are SO fucking expensive to maintain properly. I may still get one, but only with a manual transmission. One thing about any vehicle is going to require maintenance to stay safe, and reliable. It's a matter of how much maintenance it will be. Fact is, German cars are more expensive to maintain.

AUDI
Volkswagen
Mercedes
BMW

infamous for being expensive. But that goes with the "prestige" if you will of owning a fine automobile. If I want a car that's fun to drive that begs to be driven hard, I'd go German. If I want something utilitarian and reliable get a Toyota. If you want something that's utilitarian and boring enough to want to commit suicide, get a Honda. (excluding say an S2000)

Regardless, if you want a 3 series, spend the extra money to get something a little newer with fewer miles. Try to find one that was owned by a certified BMW mechanic. Keep his number handy.
Listen, fuckface - if you want us bother helping you, at least have the fucking common courtesy to take that little extra time to make your post fairly readable. If you can't see the reason in that, fuck on over to www.gsxr.com...
Surrounded by Utards.
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #37
Jd4oor
I Heart Man Sauce

So I ended up buying it this morning.

I found a great resource here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

and it eased most of my concerns. That and the very complete maintenance records they had in the service department.

The entire cooling system was replaced at 60k, tail light grounds fixed, coil recall complete, weather stripping replaced and I got it for almost 3k under book value. At a minimum the rotors need machined and the outboard pads look good so I'm hoping that's all it is. The auto dimming glass on the rear view mirror is wearing off, a little wear on some interior pieces but overall it seems like a great driving, great running car. Motor, trans, clutch etc all feel fine.

I put about 200 miles on it today and I've enjoyed every minute so far.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
stockgp
Rookie

join e46fanatics.com. ton of information there. and if it's your inside mirror, might want to check it as well. i've heard some of them can leak and stain your interior. good luck
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #39
Kent Brockman
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: '06 750 track bike, '05 Yamaha FZ1, '02 XR400.

Enjoy the car....probably much more fun to drive than what I drive (Toyota Tacoma).

Kent Brockman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #40
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

You can take a Tacoma to the dunes....you can't (shouldn't) do that in a BMW E46
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in