My SRAD stalled in traffic today... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Slope Headed
Squid

Motorcycle: 97 gsxr 750 SRAD
My SRAD stalled in traffic today...

So, I was riding in the rain tonight, at about 9 pm. It's raining, dark, and sorta cold. and it's about a mile and a half away from my house. So I'm minding my own business just riding along at about 40 mph, and my bike suddenly loses power, backfires, and then completely goes dead (headlights and all) while rolling to a stop. So I pulled the bike onto the sidewalk.. it would start up and idle fine in neutral but the electricity would always cut off once I reached the speed of 15 mph or so.. it didn't start up no more after a couple times of that. So I walked the bastard home in the rain. I took a rest every 1 - block or so, and I got thirsty so I drank from my motorcycle coolant reservoir so its all good. (just kidding I had water in the passenger seat). Did you know even 340 pounds can be a lot of weight to push up a hill? Anyways it took about an hour but i got a great exercise, I was drenched in sweat and rain when I got home.

Since tomorrow is Saturday I'll lift the tank and get to the bottom of this. I suspect its an electric problem.

This SRAD is such a brat.. it keeps breaking down! but at least it gives me something to do during these rainy Seattle days.
Slope Headed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
THE SRADIATOR
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR
Re: My SRAD stalled in traffic today...

Your srad has committed suicide I fear.
THE SRADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125

Yellow plug under lh air intake green plug and the reg-rectifier connections under rear lh fairing
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

I hate electrical Gremlins....Good luck man....I know what it's like to push a dead bike
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
williamhbonney
Rookie

Motorcycle: 97 gsxr 750

Your bike weights closer to 400 pounds.
williamhbonney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Slope Headed
Squid

Motorcycle: 97 gsxr 750 SRAD

williamhbonney, I'm riding my bike fairing less at the moment with a lot taken off, but yeah it probably still weighs a lot more than 340 pounds. I'm just glad that I don't ride a Harley or my last bike (bandit 600) which weighed close to 500 pounds.

Last week I relocated and simplified the wire harness on this bike while installing an APE tensioner. I remember disconnecting the negative battery terminal before I started the wiring work, but I don't remember connecting it up before I put the seat back on. The battery was the first place I checked this morning, sure enough the cable was hanging free just barely touching the anode. So I bolted the cable down and took a ride around the block, and it didn't break down.
Man, I wonder how I could make such a dumb mistake. One thing for sure, is that it sucks to be broken down in the road.. it's a hard situation to think rationally or diagnose a problem. Two minutes, an allen wrench and a screw driver would have got the bike back in the game, instead of having me push it all the way home.
Slope Headed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
dj_smurph
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 98 600 srad,97 aprilia chesterfield rs125

Glad its sorted. Don't worry done that a few times myself
dj_smurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
GSXR-Freak
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 99 GSXR 750

400 would be close. Mine is stripped down of everything that is not needed (other then lights) and it weighed in with a half tank at 420lbs, no rider.

Glad it seems to be working.

John
GSXR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in