NYC marathon canceled : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Anything Goes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,167
NYC marathon canceled

No link but local news reported it's been canceled. I think it's the right thing to do. You have homeless people from the storm who haven't eaten and are sleeping in cars. Those resources such as police, sanitation, food, water, portable toilets are needed elsewhere. A lot of people also forget that it is the biggest hospital day of the year and with multiple hospitals either without power or little power it would be a nightmare. There are more important things to take care than holding a marathon regardless of what money it brings into the city.
__________________
"Whether you succeed or fail is dependent entirely on you" - Vic Armstrong
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
GS220
Lifetime Premium
 
GS220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r
Posts: 1,209
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Good!!
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
rp94pj
Rookie
 
rp94pj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR-750
Posts: 877
Good. I couldn't believe they were still considering having it. I saw that picture of the two generators sitting there they were planning on powering their tents and I was pretty pissed so I can imagine how you guys felt. Especially considering they said they could power 300 homes.

Like emergency workers have time to go babysit runners.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
rp94pj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
GS220
Lifetime Premium
 
GS220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1k, 07 CRF 450r
Posts: 1,209
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp94pj View Post
Good. I couldn't believe they were still considering having it. I saw that picture of the two generators sitting there they were planning on powering their tents and I was pretty pissed so I can imagine how you guys felt. Especially considering they said they could power 300 homes.

Like emergency workers have time to go babysit runners.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
Right....it's like Mad Max here, now there is no gas and people are freaking out......Marathon
GS220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
-cyclops-
Club Racer
 
-cyclops-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PHX
Motorcycle: 89 Honda NX 125; K7 600 (sold); 03 SV650 crack pipe, er, track bike
Posts: 2,339
Re: NYC marathon canceled

I heard Michael Phelps was an early favorite.
Definitely the best decision to cancel it though. Not really necessary right now.
-cyclops- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Knight2211
Unstable SuperMod
 
Knight2211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R 750R Liquid
Posts: 21,076
Re: NYC marathon canceled

With all that happening and then there's crap like this...........

http://money.msn.com/politics/post.a...e-daf819b06d38
Knight2211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,167
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2211 View Post
With all that happening and then there's crap like this...........

http://money.msn.com/politics/post.a...e-daf819b06d38
Yeah heard about that but I think it's a bullshit story. There are already non union crews working, why turn this crew away? Christie said they were given the wrong info.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
rp94pj
Rookie
 
rp94pj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR-750
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
Yeah heard about that but I think it's a bullshit story. There are already non union crews working, why turn this crew away? Christie said they were given the wrong info.
Man I hope so that's some crazy shit if its true. I heard its supposed to be dropping down to the 20's up there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
rp94pj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,167
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp94pj View Post
Man I hope so that's some crazy shit if its true. I heard its supposed to be dropping down to the 20's up there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
Not quite that cold. It's 43 right now going down to the 30's but it's windy.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
rp94pj
Rookie
 
rp94pj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR-750
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
Not quite that cold. It's 43 right now going down to the 30's but it's windy.
Man 30 degrees with no power ain't no joke especially with little ones. That's the worst part seeing the kids suffer. From what I've seen on the news it doesn't look like they have much of a relief effort in place yet. Not that people aren't doing there job or trying but you guys don't get hit like we do down south so I'm sure you guys aren't prepared for that kind of stuff.

Hats off to your governor he looks like he doesn't mess around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
rp94pj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
oldfart01
Gets a Red Sock from OG regularly
 
oldfart01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000
Posts: 16,557
Re: NYC marathon canceled

I was shocked they were even THINKING about having the marathon. That was just dumb. Have you been able to get some gas yet? I keep seeing how hard it is to get.
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Mr. Fluffer
Boredz Crackhead
 
Mr. Fluffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wrong Side of the Road
Motorcycle: K9 600
Posts: 11,575
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
I was shocked they were even THINKING about having the marathon. That was just dumb.


Find it a bit disconcerting it took the mayor so long to cancel it. Should have been pretty obvious just a day or two ago.
Mr. Fluffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,167
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp94pj View Post
Man 30 degrees with no power ain't no joke especially with little ones. That's the worst part seeing the kids suffer. From what I've seen on the news it doesn't look like they have much of a relief effort in place yet. Not that people aren't doing there job or trying but you guys don't get hit like we do down south so I'm sure you guys aren't prepared for that kind of stuff.

Hats off to your governor he looks like he doesn't mess around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
I hate our governor but he's managed this pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
I was shocked they were even THINKING about having the marathon. That was just dumb. Have you been able to get some gas yet? I keep seeing how hard it is to get.
I was able to get $25 worth after standing in a long line. Going to make a run farther south to fill up my jeep and all my gas cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR6Mac View Post


Find it a bit disconcerting it took the mayor so long to cancel it. Should have been pretty obvious just a day or two ago.
Agreed.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
THE SRADIATOR
!##NULL##!
 
THE SRADIATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Works & Plays Well with Others (Sometimes)
Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR
Posts: 23,122
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Are we missing the obvious here?
I think this marathon was cancelled internally BEFORE the storm actually hit.
NY's beloved mayor (yeah right) calculated that NY state would make more $$$'s by having people fly in from all over the world on the pretense there would be a marathon.
Then, when the majority of folks have flown in...Pow, how like me now, he cancels the marathon.
"When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade" they figure, so... they will eat/drink/party and see NY while they are here until it is time for them to return home.
Brings in the revenue without all the expenses ASSociated with running (pun intended) a marathon.
An S.B. move if ever there was one but a crafty move from a business standpoint.
THE SRADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain
 
Ironhead401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11,167
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SRADIATOR View Post
Are we missing the obvious here?
I think this marathon was cancelled internally BEFORE the storm actually hit.
NY's beloved mayor (yeah right) calculated that NY state would make more $$$'s by having people fly in from all over the world on the pretense there would be a marathon.
Then, when the majority of folks have flown in...Pow, how like me now, he cancels the marathon.
"When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade" they figure, so... they will eat/drink/party and see NY while they are here until it is time for them to return home.
Brings in the revenue without all the expenses ASSociated with running (pun intended) a marathon.
An S.B. move if ever there was one but a crafty move from a business standpoint.
Interesting theory but don't think Bloomberg is that smart.
Ironhead401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
THE SRADIATOR
!##NULL##!
 
THE SRADIATOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Works & Plays Well with Others (Sometimes)
Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR
Posts: 23,122
Re: NYC marathon canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
Interesting theory but don't think Bloomberg is that smart.
As one of the richest men in the U.S...even if he isn't, I'm sure his advisers are!
THE SRADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 2013 Gixxer.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum